Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I based it a little on Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles.

The Munich / Caramunich are from the recipe too. They're not overly noticeable with the yeast flavours.

I think i'll look at brewing another soon enough. I think I'll be looking at 4 - 5% rather than 6.6% I have.

cheers for the feedback

A3k said:
I'm pretty sure I based it a little on Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles.

The Munich / Caramunich are from the recipe too. They're not overly noticeable with the yeast flavours.

I think i'll look at brewing another soon enough. I think I'll be looking at 4 - 5% rather than 6.6% I have.

cheers for the feedback
I haven't brewed a saison however I'm just looking at Jamil's recipe and he includes some sugar. Did you add sugar? That could be where your last few points went.

[SIZE=medium]Yeah I just noticed that too. Would’ve knocked a few points off.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Prior to brewing this, I would’ve thought 1.010 from 1.060 would be sufficient J[/SIZE]

A3k said:
[SIZE=medium]Yeah I just noticed that too. Would’ve knocked a few points off.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Prior to brewing this, I would’ve thought 1.010 from 1.060 would be sufficient J[/SIZE]
Adding the % of sugar that Jamil had in his recipe would lower your FG by about 1.5 points according to my calculations. So that's probably your answer.

A3k said:
Hi guys,
what OG do people seem to get with 3724. I found lots of varying info on this. Mine was at 1.010 for a week from 1.060 (83%) which seemed good at the time so I kegged it, but now it does seem a bit too sweet for the first few mouthfuls.
It’s really only the first 3 mouthfuls that seem too sweet, then it is great. It seems to balanced a little over the past few days, but that’s probably just me getting use to it J

Batch Size (fermenter): 46.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 10.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.0 IBUs
Mash Temp: 65C

Amt Name
10.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) 83.0 %
1.10 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) 9.1 %
0.80 kg White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC) 6.6 %
0.15 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) 1.2 %
70.00 g Hallertauer [4.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 20.3 IBUs
30.00 g Hallertauer [4.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 1.7 IBUs
Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724)

Cheers,
Al
3724 gets very low, but it takes ages and likes it hot. It almost certainly would've gotten lower, it just takes a while. Cranks for a week or two then stops, and slowly finishes off. Warming it right up, 30+c works great.

I did a 100% dingemans pils saison, mashed at 62c for 90 minutes, and even at 1.004 or something it still is on the sweet side haha, it's just the yeast. Love it

The Jamil show episode on saison jamil moans he can never get a saison dry enough. Duponts not the Be all but it is 100% pils, so you can make a great saison without grain complexity. Ditch the caramunich and drop the mash temp. I normally do 60-90 at 62 then raise the temp to 68 for half hour just to ensure conversion.

Thanks for the feedback guys. i'll give a lower mash and simpler grains a go next time. still think i'll use the 3724 yeast though.

Mje, do you think there's any point raising the temp of the keg now to try and get some more attenuation? I'm hesitant to, as I don't want to risk what is actually a really nice beer, but I know it could be better next time.

cheers

If it's already kegged, I reckon just leave it.

Mine took 8 weeks @ 28/29 deg using 3724... eventually got down to 1.004. Could have used more 'funk' though. It was recommended that next time I bump the temp past 30 within the first week.

Yeah, I've read a lot about getting the temp up early on with 3724 (after only 3-4 days!).

A3k - I'd leave it be too. If it's in the keg, and you're enjoying it currently, may as well knock it off, then make the changes for your next batch!

I might even throw some sugar in mine now, maybe 50-55% pils, 35-40% wheat and 10% table sugar, with Belle Saison, mashed at 60-62 for 90 mins. Should get it dry as a bone!

I'm considering a saison for my next batch, now I usually do about 4kg of pilsner malt, .5kg wheat and whatever yeast in a 23L batch. This time I'm thinking of using rye, but I've never brewed with it, anyone got a good rye saison? I'd like to keep it simple.

Latest posts

Back