Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done some in the low 4% range, generally awesome. Just bump up the mash temp to account for less grain.

We brewed a saison using the Wyeast French saison recently and used a bouquet garni of herbs (think Scarborough Fair) along with a lot of Amarillo in the cube and citra dry hop.

We were a bit sceptical on the herbs but the finished beer was the best thing we had done. Really dry and spicy and way more herby than we thought it would be but not overpowering. Although as it's aged the herbs seem to come out more and a stronger lemon flavour is immediately present.

The yeast was an absolute beast. Fermented down to 1001 in about 4 days.

heyhey said:
Just made my first Saison two weeks ago. It smells and tastes really good, nice and fruity (citrus and apricot like), ever so slightly sour (is best way to describe it), but I think I ruined it during milling. It has a husk aftertaste which doesn't stop you putting it down the trap, but leaves a VB sort of taste on the palette after a breathe or two. It's currently in the secondary and will likely be there for about 6 weeks. It's only my 3rd All-Grain home brew, so I'm just playing and understand the ingredients and process a bit better. First time I've milled myself too, so assuming slower speed next time.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.42 (Measured)
Final Gravity (FG): 1.002 (Measured)
Alcohol (ABV): 5.2 % (Measured)
Colour (EBC): 12.9

Bitterness (IBU): 26.8
Batch 23L

3.5kg Pilsner (2 row)
1.0kg Dark Wheat
0.5kg Acid Malt
8g Citra FWH
22g Citra @ 15min
28g Citra @ 0min
Danstar Belle Saison

63*C for 40min
71*C for 15min

60min boil

Ferm 2 weeks at 22*C
No wonder it tastes a bit sour with 500g of Acidulated malt in a 23 L brew.

gap said:
No wonder it tastes a bit sour with 500g of Acidulated malt in a 23 L brew.
I was wanting it a little more sour than it is. But it's pretty good.

mofox1 said:
Interesting that 10% acidulated didn't affect the mash... o_O
How would it have affected the mash?

EDIT: That should've been 2.0kg of Dark Wheat Malt, not 1. So Acid is <10%, but still high

By affecting the ph of the mash ( I believe it drops the mash ph ). 2% is commonly recommended as enough to drop ph levels. Others will know more than me

I recently had a home brew Saison. One word: Amazing, the best beer I've ever had. I was given this Saison from my sister in-law, whom got it from a work colleague.
Is it anyone from here? Great brew!

1424341138804.jpg

After explaining the style to a guy at work a couple of hours ago. I was in the mood for a Saison tonight. Going down a treat.

Think I'll have to take him a bottle of this..

Update on my rye saison: I bottled it around a week ago and thought I'd give it a try.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425556363.969565.jpg

It ended up finishing at 1.008 since I mashed a little high, then gave it a quick cold crash and bottled. It came out really clear despite the young age but it may have something to do with the fact the yeast is second gen and the first gen I didn't cold crash so really only collected the yeast that flocculated easily.

Taste wise I've found it similar to DuPont but with an added ryeness to it. Although the even though it's currently carbonated and 15% wheat it won't hold a head well... One day I will figure it out. Now to store the rest away for at least a month before next tasting...

I got inspired by this thread so I've got a saison going as well. Very simple grain bill using the 3711. It finished at 1.002 and I'e racked it onto 2kg of yellow peaches that it is currently enjoying.

Will update you all when I have a final product!

My first Saison, has come out a bit average, so I've done a different one and even with no acid malt has a pretty average taste. Has anyone else used the Belle Saison dry yeast from Danstar? It's the only common thing between my two different Saison batches and they taste similar and not really great IMO. Do Saisons need to mature for long periods of time?

I have used it and was really pleased with the taste. Have another ready to go for my next partial. I didn't keep it any longer in the fermenter but did make sure it was at a high temp of minimum 24 degrees.

Well it's been two months and the first one has come 'good' or at least drinkable. It's not really to style, but not far off, but I reckon another month or two to mature it'll be fine. The acid malt is still present, but not a great deal, the yeast seems to provide an odd sour flavour that lingers as my second has the same sour characteristic. The second it still too young, it's tart and once it matures a bit more, I'll blend them as I reckon I can get it to style without much hassle.

heyhey said:
Has anyone else used the Belle Saison dry yeast from Danstar?

Belle has a very big flavour, it tends to dominate all around it.

Yeah, I can't really say I'm fond of it. Very overpowering compared to Saisons I've tried

Interesting, I've heard mixed stories too. What would be the pick of dry yeasts for a Saison, if not the Danstar?

I preferred the MJ M27 Belgian ale over the Danstar Belle.
I wasn't as sour and if you start it low you get a good Belgian ester spiciness without the overpowering bubblegum/solventy ones.

That said the sourness of the Belle does fade well and after 2-3 months is much nicer.

anthonyUK said:
I preferred the MJ M27 Belgian ale over the Danstar Belle.
I wasn't as sour and if you start it low you get a good Belgian ester spiciness without the overpowering bubblegum/solventy ones.

That said the sourness of the Belle does fade well and after 2-3 months is much nicer.
How low are we talking, seeing as though MJ recommend keeping it between 24-30°C?
I made a hybrid/faux saison with MO instead of pilsner and used the M27, started at 25°C and let it free rise to ~29-30°C. It is weird, I didn't get even a slight hint of what I would call Belgian/saison yeast flavour (spiciness/pepperiness or phenols). Even 3 months down the track now and it hasn't changed. I know the MO is partly to blame for covering some of the yeast flavour, but it still isn't what I expected

Latest posts

Back