Stuck/No Fermentation... Please Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaticPhase

Reaction score
So I did my second all grain batch on saturday, seemed to go much better than my first, but there were no signs of fermentation after 24 hours so I checked the gravity this morning and sure enough 0% movement, OG was 1.059 and it's still there.

I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale and it was a bit old but it did expand a bit after I smacked it so I made a starter according to beer smith calculations. Seemed fine on the stir plate, small ring of foam on the top, popped it in the fridge for 2-3 days to settle.

I'm going to assume at this point it's stuck, or the yeast was no good.

How do I save my batch?

I have a US-05 at home should I re-pitch with that?
Get more Scottish Ale yeast?
Do I re-aerate considering theres been no movement?

Any advice would be great..

Oxygenate and warm it up a touch till it gets going.

Meanwhile buy more Scottish. One old pack in 1060 is too little.

24 hrs is not 'that' long if the yeast is a little suspect!

Screwy

"in the fridge for 2-3 days to settle." Did you get the yeast at the same temperate to pitch into the brew .

I'm in the "give it more time" camp. 24 hours lag isn't a problem. Although, if it hasn't started by now (~3 days) I'd be worried. Has it kicked off yet?

yeah it all kicked off yesterday just haven't had a beer lag on me before and got paranoid. just have to remember - relax, don't worry, have a home-brew.

Latest posts

Back