Stovetop All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyra

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just running through a trial brewday with some gear for brewing on the stovetop using a 22L pot.

I first started with trying to get the mash temperature which I had put at 65 degrees. I then put the lid on and the timer, by the end of the hour it was sitting at 55 degrees. I was just wondering on what effects this would have on the brew. Also would it be wise to turn the stove back on at a lowish temperature to bring the mash back to 65 every 15 minutes or so.

Thanks,

once you get the grain in there it will hold temps a little better. Can you wrap the pot on something?

Hi All,

I was just running through a trial brewday with some gear for brewing on the stovetop using a 22L pot.

I first started with trying to get the mash temperature which I had put at 65 degrees. I then put the lid on and the timer, by the end of the hour it was sitting at 55 degrees. I was just wondering on what effects this would have on the brew. Also would it be wise to turn the stove back on at a lowish temperature to bring the mash back to 65 every 15 minutes or so.

Thanks,

I wrap mine in a sleeping bag and a couple of towels. It drops from 66 to 64 in 60 minutes

Insulate the pot and adjust your strike temp to be a little higher.

Brewmate, do a temp on your grain - and use that to let brewmate work out your strike temp.

Insulate the pot, and you shouldn't lose more than 1-2 degrees during the hour mash.

Goomba

Mashing as I type. I don't loose much more than 0.5 deg C in Tassie and its only +7 deg outside. old doona and towels.

44b383cd.jpg

Thanks guys.

I thougt that might be the case. Was just a little worried about sitting towels and dooners on the stove while it is still quite hot.

Spose I should just keep an eye on it.

Thanks,

I use Brewmate to calculate my strike temps then I just take my pot off the stove and sit it on a towel on the kitchen bench, wrap an old sleeping bag around it and secure with an ocky strap. I live in the tropics so I rarely lose any temp at all ;)

Hi All,

Thanks,

the effect on he finished brew will be less body more alcohol.

Solution, put your lid on & throw a tea towel over it, you should be able to get away with only topping up the temp once or twice

I mash for 90 mins, top up the temp at 30, 60 & then mashout, sometimes 45 & mashout
I would recommend strong heat & stir constantly while you watch the thermometer & for a minute or two after flame off just to let the heat dissapate from the base of the pot. Low heat will take too long to get a rise in temp & wear your arms outr stirring. hold the thermometer off the bottom as the base will be a lot hotter than the mash.

Keep an eye out for a second hand 36 litre pot as a boil tun, you'll get sick of trying to maximise your batch size with a 22 litre, I had the same issue with a 20litre

Keep an eye out for a second hand 36 litre pot as a boil tun, you'll get sick of trying to maximise your batch size with a 22 litre, I had the same issue with a 20litre

I have got a Keggle which I have used before but I am only new and since I found the pot cheap I thought I could knock out a couple of small brews just to get procedures and recipes correct before I start making them in huge proportions. Also I have some 9L kegs that I can store it in for my kegorator.

Just hoping to learn how to do it well before spending alot of money on it to make only decent beer as I make pretty good beer using kits, adding small amounts of grain and hops.

Thanks guys.

Mashing as I type. I don't loose much more than 0.5 deg C in Tassie and its only +7 deg outside. old doona and towels.

44b383cd.jpg

Please forgive me if it's a dumb q, what have you got plugged in there Shifter? Will be doing my first BIAB soon so inquisitive :D

My experinece is that its easier to mash in abig pot. I tried the stove top once and it was far more difficult than my standard pot.

Even if you muck the full sized batch up it will still probably taste better than your kit brews. I know my bad brews are.

I have got a Keggle which I have used before but I am only new and since I found the pot cheap I thought I could knock out a couple of small brews just to get procedures and recipes correct before I start making them in huge proportions. Also I have some 9L kegs that I can store it in for my kegorator.

Just hoping to learn how to do it well before spending alot of money on it to make only decent beer as I make pretty good beer using kits, adding small amounts of grain and hops.

Thanks guys.

Stole the timer from SWMBO - the box is a STC temperature controller which I use to set the mash and mash out temp. Lots of info on those in this forum.

Ok cheers, a little ahead of where I am right now.

Back