Storing bulk grain in humidid climate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've recently purchased quote a few bags of base malt and live in a very humid climate.

To give you an idea, if I don't run the A/C, our walls can become wet and start dripping in places.. mould is a real problem so we try to keep aircon on but aren't always here to do so. Even a day of no A/C and we'll have mould pop up on certain walls

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to buy some airtight containers from Bunnings but before I do, is this the best thing for me and will it work ok?

How long can I expect these grains to remain fresh?

Thanks

Buy whole and crush to recipe. I don't recommend stockpiling malt even if you have good storage conditions.

To answer your question: if your malt is crushed start using it up now. If it is whole, stored in sealable bins with some kind of silica gel, you should get good life out of it

It's whole, un-milled grain

Also: I notice the Barrett Burston bags are plastic lined. Does that mean if I squeeze the air out it's as good as a sealed container? Thomas Fawcett bags aren't lined though

It's "good enough" especially from a moisture/humidity perspective.

Transferring into another container willmix in your high humidity air.

Keep some silica gel packs in it to help

Cool man, thanks

I might try to only work with them in the A/C on humid days in that case

Maybe get the $3 dessicant moisture absorber units from Bunnings as well. I use these in my grain containers in Brissie and they seem to work pretty well.

I bought some 54l tubs w/lids that are the tightest sealing I could find there and found the $3 absorbers same isle

Ingredients list just calcium chloride, so that explains why my bag for brewing is looking worse for wear!

Was going to buy the 30l sealable water containers but for $25ea they're too small. Hopefully these will be ok. Time will tell..

A 25kg sack fits perfectly into the 54l with the moisture absorber set into the middle

Last edited:
I was living in Darwin doing all grain for a while, up till recently.
I had Barret Burson grain, and just kept it in that plastic lined bag until required. I did keep it in a internal, non windowed room that was rarely accessed.
The grain didn't go off, slack, rot or anything. Any spec malts I kept in a 'maxipail' type container, sometimes vac sealed.

Definitely store in an air tight container.
I can't see how storing grain in an opened bag, without completely sealing it, would be enough to keep the humidity and insects out.
We get some pretty humid days here on the Sunshine Coast and I use 60 litre and 30 litre canoe drums, 5 and 10 litre water containers and small 2 and 4 litre air tight food storage containers.
Maxi-Pails are also very good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back