Stone And Wood Brewing Company

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Keep an eye out on the website for Brad Rogers and Co new brewery in Byron Bay. He has set up a blog type site that will document the process of setting up the brewery with all of it's ins and outs, trials failures and successes or so they say. I really hope they do blog the whole process as I am very interested in the whole process as I am sure a lot of members here would be.

So log in sign up give them some support and make comments along the way!

www.stoneandwood.com.au

They can't be to far away now. By the looks of it they have just received their first delivery of grain last week. They're not letting the cat out of the bag on styles as yet so I will be waiting like others in anticipation. It will be good to have a second local brewery here on the Northern Rivers (the other being Northern Rivers Brewing Co at Alstonville). The Far North Coast is lacking in boutique breweries and bars that sell anything besides the three main players on tap (thank Christ for Coopers). Best of luck to Stone and Wood :icon_cheers: and I hope I will be as impressed with their beers as I was with the fine range from Murray's on the Mid Coast at Taylors Arm :icon_drool2: . Here is there blog address http://stoneandwood.com.au/blog/. Sorry brewers I don't know how to do a linky. Then again it looks like I do know how to do a link :lol:

I was up in Byron Bay two weeks ago and got in touch with them to see if they were in production. Unfortunately they weren't. They are getting close though. Will be great for the region.
I did locate and try Nth Rivers brewing mid strength and Pale Ale. The Pale Ale was very good.

Beers,
Doc

10-15 or so years ago the Northern Hotel in Byron were producing their own beers, and I recall them doing quite a nice drop. Is this still the case ?

10-15 or so years ago the Northern Hotel in Byron were producing their own beers, and I recall them doing quite a nice drop. Is this still the case ?
Haven't seen it for several years. There's a Byron Bay Premium Ale. Not brewed locally as far as I know. Just relying on the name to sell it. Tried it :icon_vomit: but hey it could have been a bad batch :lol: . Have the odd CPA at the Northern when I have to go there but usually try to avoid Byron like the plague. Sorry if a little off topic. Premium Ale is brewed by Australian Independent Brewers.

Keep an eye out on the website for Brad Rogers and Co new brewery in Byron Bay. He has set up a blog type site that will document the process of setting up the brewery with all of it's ins and outs, trials failures and successes or so they say. I really hope they do blog the whole process as I am very interested in the whole process as I am sure a lot of members here would be.

So log in sign up give them some support and make comments along the way!

www.stoneandwood.com.au
long service leave getting closer and closer,bring it on....just have to umm tell the better half :rolleyes: .....cheers........spog.........

How far are they from launching their beers?

The video link from their site says people will have to wait about two months - and that was in September - two months later....about now!

Any word?

Had thier opening last night at The Great Northern Hotel and The Rails in Byron Bay. I did not get the memo until late last night as I've been away. Thier first brew is a draught ale. I will be heading down to The Rails shortly for a taste. :icon_cheers:

Went down to the brewery yesterday and had a look at the setup. Brad showed me around as he was filling kegs and seemed really passionate about having a good local product for us to enjoy here on the Northern Rivers. At present the beer will be distributed locally from Salt at Cabarita south to the Pacific Hotel at Yamba but mainly in the Byron Bay/Lismore area. Very nice drop with a strong passion fruit aroma/flavor from the Galaxy hops. Tried one straight out of the vat that he was kegging from :icon_drool2: couldn't get any fresher than that. Brad did say that they will have a bottling setup in the future. Left there and headed to The Rails in Byron and could see it was very popular among the customers. Was giving Coopers a good run for its money. I can see a keg of this dropped off by Santa for a very very merry Christmas. :icon_drunk:

Went down to the brewery yesterday and had a look at the setup. Brad showed me around as he was filling kegs and seemed really passionate about having a good local product for us to enjoy here on the Northern Rivers. At present the beer will be distributed locally from Salt at Cabarita south to the Pacific Hotel at Yamba but mainly in the Byron Bay/Lismore area. Very nice drop with a strong passion fruit aroma/flavor from the Galaxy hops. Tried one straight out of the vat that he was kegging from :icon_drool2: couldn't get any fresher than that. Brad did say that they will have a bottling setup in the future. Left there and headed to The Rails in Byron and could see it was very popular among the customers. Was giving Coopers a good run for its money. I can see a keg of this dropped off by Santa for a very very merry Christmas. :icon_drunk:

Was at the Pacific in Yamba last year and they had the ordinary selection, so if they do have this Stone & Wood Draught, it will be a marked improvement to their selection. I been to the Flaming Dragon in lismore too, and they had a decent offer of brew with their pizza, so will have to stop in again!

Went to the Rails at Byron Bay today especially to sample the new Stone and Wood draught ale. I wasnt dissapointed. A very sessionable beer indeed. Fresh and tasty with a generous flavour and aroma courtesy of the dry hopped Galaxy hops. I agree Baldrick, I had a look around and I would say that about 20 % of the patrons were drinking Stone and Wood. Some people may ask how do I know? The beer is cloudy like a coopers but it is more pale than its south australian rival. Good drop, nice work Stone and Wood. Cant wait for the next brews off the production line!!!

Stopped in at Stone and Wood yesterday. No samples available on-site and they'd run out of t-shirts! I did get a nice impromptu tour of the brewery though.

The draught ale is on tap at the Salt Bar and I agree with the previous assessment. Quite sessionable, very noticeable passionfruit aroma and flavour from the galaxy. As with the Coopers from the same bar, it is served too cold. I can see myself having a few more of these over the coming week :D

Had a keg of this over Christmas and New Years :D . AT $230 I thought it was a reasonable price. Had a few visitors like it but a lot of VB and Tooheys drinkers stuck to their swill. Was happy with that as there was more for me :icon_drunk: .

I met up with Ross at the brewery when I was recently in Byron Bay. Tasted a sample straight from the bright tank and had a nice walk around the brewery.

This beer is fantastic. I tried it at the Beach hotel but found it to be much fresher at the Great Northern.

If you ever get the chance make sure you try it. You won't be dissapointed

Kabooby :)

Stone and wood Brewing get their stones and wood out...

http://stoneandwood.com.au/blog/2009/09/st...ews-bar-chords/

What an interesting concept, I can't wait to try their lineup of beers now. I might even try this stone thing myself. Does anyone know much about which stones I should get?

Great to see Scott at the brewery and Im sure he will 'hit his straps' in no time at all, Good Luck. What a phenomenal brewer.

:beer:

Interesting idea. Boiling with hot stones was a pretty common way of cooking once upon a time - Ive never thought about the flavours it would impart though!

As far as I know, they only have three beers, an ale that is only available on tap :)(), a lager that is only available bottled, and, apparently this stone beer, which seems to be bottled as well.

I've tried the ale and its pretty good, but if you cant find a pub that serves it, you'll be limited to the lager (havent tried that one yet).

On one of the Graham Sanders Ozcraftbrewer podcasts from a few years back he successfully did one of these brews. He had a step-by-step tutorial and used ceramic tiles of some sort I think instead of rocks because he was worried about them exploding in his brew.

Jez

On one of the Graham Sanders Ozcraftbrewer podcasts from a few years back he successfully did one of these brews. He had a step-by-step tutorial and used ceramic tiles of some sort I think instead of rocks because he was worried about them exploding in his brew.

Jez

Might have to think about that, it'd be a memorable brewday. I think it was river stones that GLS was worried about, I see if I can find the associated thread.

Is the stone beer available around the traps anywhere?

Or just at the brewery?

Can't find any word on the website...

Kev

Back