Stone and Wood sells out to Lion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erm...bet with your head, not over it?

That compendium of beers is marvellous.
Yes it is good. Credit to MHB for that. It does some pretty cool things. It draws all the technical specs from the Malts and Hops that I have in stock at the time you load the recipe. If you were to buy the recipe those would be the ingredients you get with those specs.

The specs can vary quite a bit. Like at the moment the Amarillo is alpha 10.4. For years and years I never seen Amarillo vary from 8 to 8.4%

All of those recipes work.

Cheers
Steve

Don’t forget that you can set your own batch sizes and defaults, Brewbuilder will then build the recipe to match.
Good idea to keep some records and refine your numbers; update your settings and you will only pay for what you need.
All the recipes are fully customisable to, nothing to stop you using one as a starting point and adjusting to suit your taste.
It has stood up pretty well, I wrote the original version (Excel) in 2009, it is designed as an ordering tool for Brewmans customers, I know a lot of other people just use it as a rcipe database but Steve does a really good job and we should support him.
Mark

Finally got the Pacific Ale done. Pitched this morning and it's off like a shot. Of course I'll have no idea whether it's a good copy since I've never tasted the original, but I think it's going to be a great beer nonetheless. I'll post the recipe in the morning as it's been a heavy evening's tasting.

Recipe:
Had a bit of a struggle with the recipe. I found some very interesting stuff in this forum that drinkers said were as good as or even better than the real thing, but seemed to bear little resemblance to the description printed on the can / bottle of Pacific Ale. Found a recipe elsewhere which called for Summer hops as well a Galaxy, but it seems these are not produced any more. This is what I ended up going with:
Screenshot from 2023-04-02 17-39-04.png

4.4% abv. Ingredients: Malt (no unmalted grains mentioned), Galaxy, yeast and water. Description: ... all Australian barley, wheat and Galaxy fops from Tasmania...

20 litre batch
Adjust water with CaSO4 and CaCl2
Pale Ale Malt 60.5% 2.24 Kg
Wheat Malt 37.2% 1.38 Kg
Carapils 2.3% 85 g
(Proportions from the recipe in Brewer's Friend)
Galaxy pellets at 16.1 % alpha acid
30 minutes 10g (to give approx 16 IBUs)
flameout 10g
Dry hop in secondary 60g
Mash at 66C
Total boil 60 minutes
Rack into secondary after 5 days and dry hop. I don't expect a great deal of hop biotransformation with chosen yeast.
Pitch with CML Five (a repackage of US-05 or similar)

Expecting a slightly hazy session beer with exploding galaxies. We'll see.

Last edited:
Brewed up the Pacific Ale. Made a 12 litre test batch, which is now bottled and carbing up nicely.
Thought I'd risk a bottle after 10 days on the grounds that if there was no hiss, I could cramp the cap down again.
Well, there was a promising hiss so I risked the bottle. Poured slightly cloudy as per description. Nice head which lasted to the bottom of the glass (which wasn't a long time).
Verdict: AMAZING! Certainly I've never tasted the real thing and I missed my chance to visit Byron Bay when I had relatives in Hobart who have since moved, but this is what I was hoping for: full on fruity flavours in both the aroma and the swallow. Not a great deal of bitterness, but it's not supposed to be an IPA. It's the sort of fruit drink you could give to kids and they'd gulp it down. I wouldn't waste it on kids though. And the beer isn't even properly ready yet! I'll give it another two weeks before getting stuck into the rest of it.
Observations: The beer's supposed to have a slight "bready" taste and I didn't get that, maybe it's a function of the yeast. I used CML Five which is a Chico-derived strain. I dry hopped for three days then removed the hop bag and left the beer a couple of days more to clear a bit. My beer fermented out a bit drier than expected, although it's not dry to the taste, and it ended up a bit over 5% abv. No worries there. I was careful to leave a minimum of headspace in the bottle, no more than a centimetre, to minimise oxidation.
As soon as I get back from visiting son in Spain, week after next, I'm going to get a full 20 litre batch on.

I'd used Galaxy before and made some disappointing beer. They need to be absolutely fresh from a freshly opened packet as they go off quicker than any other hop I've used (maybe that's just my experience) so always freeze any leftovers.

First time in about 4-5 years i needed to buy any commercial beer so got a 6 pack of S&W PA and i must say its a nice easy drinking brew, just need some Galaxy hops and i'll make a 25 ltr batch.

First time in about 4-5 years i needed to buy any commercial beer so got a 6 pack of S&W PA and i must say its a nice easy drinking brew, just need some Galaxy hops and i'll make a 25 ltr batch.
It's a great beer, but I've seen some funny recipes, including one with oats! I've no doubt it was good beer but I'm sure they're are no oats in P. A. I used quite a bit of wheat malt in mine, but I'm assured 10 %would have been enough.
Happy brewing.

IMPO oats in a S&W PA clone wouldn’t hurt. Just increases the mouthfeel. Wheat can also achieve the same I think

IMPO oats in a S&W PA clone wouldn’t hurt. Just increases the mouthfeel. Wheat can also achieve the same I think
I reckon it could be a great beer with a handful of oats. I might even try it. It's just that when I see the word "clone", it means to me "an exact replica" or as close as we can get. As soon as we start moving away from that, even if we make a better beer, it's no longer a clone.

Having said that, I look at the attempts people have proposed for "cloning" Pilsner Urquell when they can't get hold of undermodified Moravian malt or want to avoid a triple decoction mash. All sorts of stuff goes into the recipe, which would be unheard of in Pilsn. So I guess it's down to the brewer to decide on his interpretation.

Latest posts

Back