Stone And Wood Brewing Company

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a pint of stone & wood draught ale at teh innocent bystander in healesville.....Really really nice drop. Would of stayed for more but was driving....
A top drop.

Thank god - I think Brad Rodgers is an awesome brewer (as well as a nice guy) - but I was so horribly disappointed with the Stone and Wood lager (average is a kind description) that I have been reluctant to even look out for their other beers. It sounds like the lager might have been an aberration and I can just get back to being a fan of Brad's beer and look out for them with pleasant anticipation

I shall hunt down the ones I can get here - even if I have to treck out to healsville!

TB

Stone and wood Brewing get their stones and wood out...

http://stoneandwood.com.au/blog/2009/09/st...ews-bar-chords/

What an interesting concept, I can't wait to try their lineup of beers now. I might even try this stone thing myself. Does anyone know much about which stones I should get?

Great to see Scott at the brewery and Im sure he will 'hit his straps' in no time at all, Good Luck. What a phenomenal brewer.

:beer:

i think the stones used in saunas would be the best bet... they mustn't explode if cooled rapidly, otherwise they wouldn't let you pour water on em :p

Boiling with hot stones was a pretty common way of cooking once upon a time - Ive never thought about the flavours it would impart though!

i think the flavor would come from the wood fire and the malt left on the stones during fermentation more than the boiling of the brew with stones, they would need to be white hot to get it to caramelize on the stones much

Been looking out for Stone & Wood For a while... Finally came across it at Vintage Cellars Chatswood Chase!
So grabbed a 6er of the Draught & a single of the Pale Lager.
The Lager was alright, nothing too different, but the Draught Ale was the bomb dot com!
Delicious! Very addictive! 
Looking forward to some different styles from these guys.

Been looking out for Stone & Wood For a while... Finally came across it at Vintage Cellars Chatswood Chase!
The Lager was alright, nothing too different, but the Draught Ale was the bomb dot com!

I tried the Draught for the first time this week.... :chug: Absolutely fantastic!

Has anyone here had a go at cloning this one?

Brewed one recently, mine was a little darker and not enough hoppiness IMO, also the bitterness was a little harsh. I have tweeked the recipe and will try this next time as soon as my Galaxy supply is replenished. I made all hops late additions this time to reduce the harsh bitterness.

Comes out about 4.7%

Cheers

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 28.00 L
Boil Size: 35.67 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 37.19 %
2.00 kg Barrett Burston Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 33.06 %
1.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 16.53 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 13.22 %
30.00 gm Galaxy-Flowers [14.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)Hops -
20.00 gm Galaxy 2009 crop [13.40 %] (25 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy 2009 crop [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy 2009 crop [13.40 %] (5 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy 2009 crop [13.40 %] (0 min) (AromaHops -
0.50 tsp Kopperfloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 6.05 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.79 L of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C

S&W draught uses Galaxy hops and only Galaxy hops. I have made a clone a few times and [post="0"]this[/post] is very close to the mark. When I brew it again, I will go close to 50% wheat, as my last version was slightly darker and less cloudy than the real beer.

Cheers - Snow

S&W draught uses Galaxy hops and only Galaxy hops. I have made a clone a few times and [post="0"]this[/post] is very close to the mark. When I brew it again, I will go close to 50% wheat, as my last version was slightly darker and less cloudy than the real beer.

Cheers - Snow

link doesnt work snow ;)

....thanks very much for trying out our beers mate, thats what we're in this for...we are already absolutely flat strap trying to keep our little beers flowing out across the country and with the warmer weather and xmas looming that aint going to change any time soon...happy beer lovers make the looooong days worthwhile...

...Cheers, Scott...

I do believe that the Draught Ale is now available at one of my local watering holes, The Point Ballina. The Stone and Wodd website confirms this.

So it looks like I may be popping in for a cleansing Ale or 2.

BTW, Hargie, if your out there, do you guys instruct pubs to agitate your kegs at all? Some places Ive had it (draught ale) its been nice and cloudy, almost hefe like, whilst other places it has settled out and pours with very little haze at all??

Cheers

I do believe that the Draught Ale is now available at one of my local watering holes, The Point Ballina. The Stone and Wodd website confirms this.

BTW, Hargie, if your out there, do you guys instruct pubs to agitate your kegs at all? Some places Ive had it (draught ale) its been nice and cloudy, almost hefe like, whilst other places it has settled out and pours with very little haze at all??

Cheers

You may be confusing the S&W Draught = Yeast Cloud and S&W Lager = Clear and S&W Stone Beer = Red and Clear

No Chance Argon, Draught Ale all the way!! I have this beer everywhere I go if its on tap. The other day at Yamba's pacific Hotel, i had a few and it was awesome, nice and cloudy. However other times Ive had it and although cloudy, it seemed quite light on the haze compared to other experiences. I was also thinking possibly nearing the end of the keg?? But thats why I wanted to know if they tell pubs to agitate the kegs??

Cheers

Yeah probably right... To me the stand out is the draught. I got caught out one night when i saw the stone and wood logo across the bar. Had it served to me, thought, " hmmm that's odd... It's clear and no way near as hoppy as I remember". Had a second look... "oh the Lager!"

So yep that's why I mention it... Cause it happened to me.
Cheers

:( Arrgghhh, they have the Pale Lager on tap and not the Draught Ale. Not a total bummer, i will be sure to have few lagers next time i visit, but we had our hopes set on the draught ale.........

Cheers

Back