Stone And Wood Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Elronalds,

I recommend you remove the mash hops before you boil, as it would make the brew too bitter if you left them in.

Cheers - Snow.

I just brewed this (as my first ever) BIAB on Sunday. Got 25 Litres out of it with an efficiency of about 75-80%
Same malt bill. skipped the Mash hops. Dropped the dry hops down to 30g and will add 3 days before bottling.
Used Wyeast 1056
Original gravity of 1.045
Brewing away in the fridge at 20 degrees
Will return in 3 weeks to let you know how it went for me.

Snow said:
Hi guys,

just noticed this thread. I love this beer and I have been trying to get the S&W draught right for a while now. I had a chat to the brewers at the food and wine show last year and I seem to remember (in my drunken haze) that they said the malt split was 60/40 pale/wheat. They wouldn't specify the hops additions except to say it was a "shitload" of galaxy flowers , with multiple additions.

Anyway, this is my 3rd iteration and is very close.....
The bitterness is higher than the 21 IBUs indicate, I suspect the final aroma addition added a fair bit.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Snow
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Snow's Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.87 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.5 IBU
5.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
35.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05 ) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 430 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C

Cheers - Snow.

So I only carbonated to 2.2 volumes because I'm a rookie. This was no where near enough. It tasted heaps better from the stubbie as opposed to out of a glass where the lack of carbonation was much more noticeable.

Flavour wise I could have told myself I was drinking Stone & Wood's version except that mine was lacking some hop flavour and aroma (even when drinking from a tulip glass). All of the boys loved it. Next time I will increase the flavour and dry hops and increase to maybe 3 volumes of co2??

Will report back in a couple of months

2.5 is pretty stock for most american pale ales type recipes, 3.0 volumes is getting into belgian territory.

i see. I don't have beer smith at our brewery so I just use an online calculator. When I do the calculation I should just be putting in the volume that will actually be bottled into these calculators, right? maybe the scales are off because this beer was pretty close to flat.

How long has it been in the bottle?? Maybe not fully carbonated yet????

2 weeks in the bottle. I realise that longer would be better but all of the books I've read say it should be carbonated by then

Snow said:
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops
Thanks for the recipe Snow, I'm in the process of fermenting it now. The only difference being leaving the sodium metabisulphate out.

In regards to the dry hopping, I was wondering if anyone could clarify that one for me. Do I wait 10 days from the beginning of the fermentation, do I dry hop with that much galaxy for 10 days (sounds like a little too long to me)? I haven't dry hopped before.

Can I CC for 3-4days and dry hop during the CC phase?

Don't know about the CC thing but dry hop for at least 3-4 days.
This beer needs big aroma.
A mixture of pellets and flowers seems to work the best for me.

Also don't know about the CC thing, & i'd also dry hop for 3-4 days.
I'd also leave the fermentation to go close to completion before dry hopping. Every bubble of CO2 leaving the beer scrubs out that tasty hops aroma. So i'd wait until its down to maybe 1 bubble every 1-2mins (assuming you've got an airlock on). For me thats been around day 5-7 after pitching.

Oh, just saw the flowers thing - that might complicate it.
I was under the impression flowers need to dry hop a lot longer. The Motueka flowers i recently dry hopped a DSGA with were in the FV for ~14 days.
Galaxy can be pretty full-on, so i don't know if that kinda time is also required or if it'll turn a bit harsh on you. My Galaxy dry-hopping (earlier brew) was done with pellets. Pellets are reputed to be more likely to release harsher notes than flowers, so if the 4 days i had my pellets in there for were fine, maybe the equivalent is 1-2 weeks for flowers (?).

brad81 said:
Thanks for the recipe Snow, I'm in the process of fermenting it now. The only difference being leaving the sodium metabisulphate out.

In regards to the dry hopping, I was wondering if anyone could clarify that one for me. Do I wait 10 days from the beginning of the fermentation, do I dry hop with that much galaxy for 10 days (sounds like a little too long to me)? I haven't dry hopped before.

Can I CC for 3-4days and dry hop during the CC phase?
Thats how I do it Brad, Usually dont Dry hop for much more than 4 days and I CC at the same time.
A Pro brewer told me he Dry hops way longer and that you'll get greater hop utilisation if you dont Dry hop while CCing.
but i haven't tried it as yet

Well the hopsock has been in starsan since last night. The dry hopping hopefully begins this evening.

Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it.

I'll have to check the gravity tonight, and see if it is ready for CCing.

edit: and it's pellets too

brad81 said:
Well the hopsock has been in starsan since last night. The dry hopping hopefully begins this evening.

Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it.

I'll have to check the gravity tonight, and see if it is ready for CCing.

edit: and it's pellets too

how'd it turn out? :)

Love this thread. Will have to brew this this weekend.

I'm going to try rolled oats in this baby for more mouthfeel and head retention

Has anyone dry hopped with flowers before in a conical? I haven't, but am keen too. Do the flowers float or sink to the bottom??

Harty said:
I'm going to try rolled oats in this baby for more mouthfeel and head retention

Has anyone dry hopped with flowers before in a conical? I haven't, but am keen too. Do the flowers float or sink to the bottom??
If you've got around 40% wheat in your grain bill you won't need Oats for head retention. Try increasing your Mash temp, I've only brewed this once myself, but 66C is about where you need it. Oats will provide a silkiness, but that's not stated on S&W's website as an ingredient.

I dry hop in a cylindro/conical as well, nearly always flowers, nearly always in a cheese cloth type bag. Makes for easy clean out and the large weave of the bag allows plenty of goodies to transfer to finished product. As far as floating, it doesn't really matter, time is the important factor.

Here's one I prepared earlier

Galaxy pale ale (aka Stone & Wood) dry hopped with Ella

med_gallery_7015_1311_63621.jpg

Brewed this today, colour looked spot on for stone and wood. I got 1.044 which was 2 points short, could have boiled off a little more but wasn't worried.

I put half of the whirlpool Hops in the kettle and half in the hop back. Will dry hop once ferment is done and report back in a few weeks

Latest posts

Back