Stone And Wood Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My recipe is a guess, but i reckon the best thing about this beer is the hopping, wonderful job done right throughout!

Scotty

My recipe is a guess, but i reckon the best thing about this beer is the hopping, wonderful job done right throughout!

Scotty
Frankly if were to be so impertinent as to "clone" this beer I would keep my IBU sub 20, 18 seems about right, Galaxy iss a true muddder fudder of a hop, just a little bit in the boil...and just the right amount at the end, sort of like dressing salad

K

I'm still quite happy with my recipe as a first cut, I've brewed it three variants now and the original (in the RecipeDB) I still believe was the closest. No-chilling is the hardest bit with this recipe for me, you want a lot of hop flavour but being high AA having them sit in the cube at high temps is going to create a lot of bitterness. Yeast wise US-05 is what you want, you want a clean taste to enjoy the wheat and Galaxy hop flavours.

The Draught ale to me is about the best Australian style craft beer we have available. While many other micro breweries are creating great beer, this uses unique Australian hops in a brew that's different yet easy to drink.

I've been lucky enough to chat to Scott, Ross and Brad at the brewery, you won't meet a nicer bunch of blokes. If you think the ale is fresh on tap, wait until you've tried it direct from the fermenter :)

Frankly if were to be so impertinent as to "clone" this beer I would keep my IBU sub 20, 18 seems about right, Galaxy iss a true muddder fudder of a hop, just a little bit in the boil...and just the right amount at the end, sort of like dressing salad

K

Dr K has a point. Galaxy is notorious for coming up rough when you overdo it being high alpha. +1 on this comment, when it comes to galaxy, gently fellas gently! There's enough punch in even the smallest amount of this critter.

Hopper.

Hi guys,

just noticed this thread. I love this beer and I have been trying to get the S&W draught right for a while now. I had a chat to the brewers at the food and wine show last year and I seem to remember (in my drunken haze) that they said the malt split was 60/40 pale/wheat. They wouldn't specify the hops additions except to say it was a "shitload" of galaxy flowers , with multiple additions.

Anyway, this is my 3rd iteration and is very close.....
The bitterness is higher than the 21 IBUs indicate, I suspect the final aroma addition added a fair bit.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Snow
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Snow's Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.87 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.5 IBU
5.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
35.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05 ) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 430 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C

Cheers - Snow.

...Snow, mate, you are a long way off....we would have said a "shedload" in public...

Cheers,
Scott

oh yeah... sorry - that's my hearing ;-)

It actually pretty much filled my shed as it was !

- Snow.

I think i had this beer at the Bitter & Twisted on the weekend and liked it there but my taste was a bit muddled from all the different beers. Went to Dan Murphys today to see if they had it, only bought two singles to see if i really liked it, got home put one in the freezer, mowed the lawn, poured the beer and God damn! Very very nice. Best bottled beer in ages, even better than LCPA.
I suppose thats the beauty of things like beer fests, they can introduce you to a new love, and mine is a case of this stuff back up at Dan murphys!

I did the same went to dans to get my secret santa for the swap,wacked it in the freezer poured just shes carbed up allwright. I more going towards american wheat 50pils/50/wheat my tounge is fried at the moment I am struggling with everything flavour wise but I am burping hops very nice.

sav

Hi guys,

just noticed this thread. I love this beer and I have been trying to get the S&W draught right for a while now. I had a chat to the brewers at the food and wine show last year and I seem to remember (in my drunken haze) that they said the malt split was 60/40 pale/wheat. They wouldn't specify the hops additions except to say it was a "shitload" of galaxy flowers , with multiple additions.

Anyway, this is my 3rd iteration and is very close.....
The bitterness is higher than the 21 IBUs indicate, I suspect the final aroma addition added a fair bit.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Snow
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Snow's Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

2.80 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.87 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.5 IBU
5.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
35.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05 ) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 430 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C

Cheers - Snow.

If i wanted to remove the 10gm Mash Hop addition, should I change the bittering hop addition in the boil?
Sorry just not familiar with mash hopping and obviously I wouldn't combine it into the 60min addition.

Thanks in advance
Alex

If i wanted to remove the 10gm Mash Hop addition, should I change the bittering hop addition in the boil?
Sorry just not familiar with mash hopping and obviously I wouldn't combine it into the 60min addition.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Bump.

Thanks in advance
Alex

if you are really keen up the bittering addition by the 3.5 ibu.

BIterness is not the hallmark of this beer, hop flavour and aroma is.
Keep the bittering addition down and dry hop the be-jesus out of it.

BIterness is not the hallmark of this beer, hop flavour and aroma is.
Keep the bittering addition down and dry hop the be-jesus out of it.
I'm sure I read an article recently where they were quoting figures of 12kg into 800lt !?

I'm sure I read an article recently where they were quoting figures of 12kg into 800lt !?

15 grams of hops per litre brewed...so that would be 345g of galaxy for a standard 23L batch. Does seem like quite a lot...

15 grams of hops per litre brewed...so that would be 345g of galaxy for a standard 23L batch. Does seem like quite a lot...

Maybe it is galaxy but i got more nelson sauvin and sorachi ace from it, some new zealand sav blanc tones as well as some lemon sorbet.....

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Stone and Wood
Brewer: Mark
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Size: 33.44 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
2.89 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.0 EBC) Grain 60.87 %
1.86 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 39.13 %
6.55 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort HopHops 9.7 IBU
10.91 gm Galaxy flowers EL827 [13.60 %] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
13.09 gm Galaxy flowers EL827 [13.60 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
39.57 gm Galaxy flowers EL827 [13.60 %] (0 min) (AHops -
45.22 gm Galaxy flowers EL827 [13.60 %] (Dry Hop 5Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Ale with protein rest, dry
Total Grain Weight: 4.74 kg
----------------------------
Ale with protein rest, dry
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Protein Rest Add 17.85 L of water at 55.0 C 52.0 C
60 min Saccrification Heat to 66.0 C over 5 min 66.0 C
10 min Mash out Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min 78.0 C

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I just worked this one up. I'm a newbie at FWHing so will be interested in giving it a bash.

I'm also interested, not bothered, why I get higher IBU for the same amount (albeit scaled up for my 26L batch) of hops at the 20 and 5 minute additions and my hop flowers are only 13.8% as opposed to 14.9% in Snow's original.

How's this one looking Snow?

Maybe it is galaxy but i got more nelson sauvin and sorachi ace from it, some new zealand sav blanc tones as well as some lemon sorbet.....

I finally got to try this beer today to

I to got NS flavours from it. Granted I havent to much experience with Galaxy hops, but I def think there is some Nelson in there.

Was it just me or did it also have some lychee flavour to it as well?

Was it just me or did it also have some lychee flavour to it as well?

Welcome to Galaxy.
Has always come across to me as a very sweet tasting sort of hop.

Latest posts

Back