Stone And Wood Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
this is my 3rd iteration and is very close.....
The bitterness is higher than the 21 IBUs indicate, I suspect the final aroma addition added a fair bit.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Snow
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Snow's Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.87 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.5 IBU
5.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
35.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05 ) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 430 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C

Cheers - Snow.

I brewed this a few weeks ago and couldnt wait any longer so i
just opened a early/green bottle (1 week in the bottle) of this brew and it is allready very nice .

pretty much copied snows but i went

3kg pale malt
2kg raw wheat
1056 yeast
my galaxy flowers were 13.3 AA
all else the same

View attachment 47617

mine on the left SnW on the right ,
Its not SnW but very close and tastes great. I am very happy with it and wouldnt change too much, maybe tinker with the wheat(raw% v malted%) and big cheers to snow for the advise :)

hello,

Im new to brewing but really want to give this Stone and Wood pacific Ale a try as I think it tastes fantastic. In this post I've noticed that the recipe says it comes from brewsmith.com "BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com" But what recipe exactly is being used from brewsmith as I can see a number of American pale Ale recipes on their site.

Also I looked at the recipe shown here.

Sticks and stones by Daemon

But it only lists the ingredients and none of the actual steps.

Sorry if Im asking stupid newbie questions. Ive read the sticky on "Move to all grain for thirty bucks" which was a very helpful post.

Thanks in advance.

The steps depends a little on your method of brewing. That's an all grain recipe, so it requires mashing. Are you BIABing as per Nick's thread?

Basically mash the malts, drain, sparge if appropriate (rinse grains) until you have the appropriate pre-boil volume. Bring to the boil, boil for an hour or more, adding the specified hop amounts at the specified times.

The recipe doesn't specify the mashing temperature. If in doubt I'd aim for 64-66.

More info about your method/intended method.

The steps depends a little on your method of brewing. That's an all grain recipe, so it requires mashing. Are you BIABing as per Nick's thread?

Basically mash the malts, drain, sparge if appropriate (rinse grains) until you have the appropriate pre-boil volume. Bring to the boil, boil for an hour or more, adding the specified hop amounts at the specified times.

The recipe doesn't specify the mashing temperature. If in doubt I'd aim for 64-66.

More info about your method/intended method.

Yes I do want to follow Nicks method. So sparge means to rinse the grains? Is that where he puts it in a green bucket then squeezes the bag to drain out the liquids? He mentions adding a litre of 70C water to the bucket and dunking the bag back in their? I assume he means a litre of water from the pot and not clean 70C water or am I wrong??

Also the recipe says

15 g Galaxy (Flowers, 14.9 AA%, 10 mins)
25 g Galaxy (Flowers, 14.9 AA%, 5 mins)
So would I boil for an hour and add he first lot at 45 mins for 10 minutes then remove and add the second lot for 5 mins? How long should I boil for? What am I aiming for here.

Sounds like what you are describing is a dunk sparge yes. It does mean rinsing the grains. The mashing part activates the enzymes inside the grains to convert the grain starch to sugar (maltose). Rinsing can help get a bit more sugar into your wort although it isn't entirely necessary with BIAB.

As for the hops - don't take them out until the end of the boil.

Where a recipe says x amount of flowers@20, that means you add 20 minutes before the end of the boil (so they are boiled for a total of 20 minutes).

In most recipes, there will be a bittering addition around 60 minutes or at the start of the boil. However Stone and wood relies on late hopping for lots of hop flavour and is not very bitter - hence the 2 additions at 10 minutes and 5 minutes out from the end and a low bittering level.

You still should boil for the full 60 minutes though.

Thanks Manticle, That explains a lot. I was going to ask about bittering hops as Ive read about adding them and wondered when I would to this recipe but you've answered that for me too.

Another question, are these ingredients readily available at most LHBS in Melbourne?

3.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.8 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Wheat
0.1 kg Weyermann Munich I
*15 g Galena (Flowers, 14.9 AA%, 10 mins) *(This is actually galaxy hops isnt it)
*25 g Galena (Flowers, 14.9 AA%, 5 mins)
10 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale

*15 g Galena (Flowers, 14.9 AA%, 10 mins) *(This is actually galaxy hops isnt it)

Yes it should be Galaxy hops for the S&W Pacific Ale.

You often see Galena mentioned in recipes as the forum's recipe database and some older versions of brewing software does not have Galaxy listed, so people use the closes sounding name in the list.

northside novice said:
View attachment 47617

mine on the left SnW on the right ,
Its not SnW but very close and tastes great. I am very happy with it and wouldnt change too much, maybe tinker with the wheat(raw% v malted%) and big cheers to snow for the advise :)

I like your style man. Two brews on the go at once.

This thread is wetting my appitite for the Stone and Wood tasting / meet the brewer session Wednesday arvo.

Another question, are these ingredients readily available at most LHBS in Melbourne?

3.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.8 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Wheat

Not most but some.

Grain and Grape
Greensborough home brewing
Not sure about brewer's den - certainly some will be.

You can also order online from craftbrewer, Gryphon brewing and others.

If you can't find Barrett Burston malt, substitute with another pale (ale malt) like Joe White. As you get to know your processes more, play around with different base malts and different brands to see what effect they have.

3.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.8 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Wheat

Thanks once again just a few more questions.

I assume this.... 0.1 kg Weyermann Munich I is this

Munich I Malt (Weyermann)
EBC 12 - 17 (mash required): Light Munich malt. Used as a base for many
German beer styles. Fest beers, bocks, ales. Enhances malty flavour and aroma.

and this.....0.2 kg Flaked Wheat is this

Wheat Flaked/Torrified (Blue Lake)
EBC 3 - 4 (mash required): Unmalted wheat .Typically used
for Wits & other wheats where raw unmalted wheat is called for.

And finally the yeast .... 10 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale can I use this

Fermentis - Safale US-05 (11.5gm)
The most famous ale yeast strain found across America (AKA 1056), now available
as a ready-to-pitch dry yeast. Produces well balanced beers with low diacetyl
& a very clean, crisp end palate. Formerly known as US-56.

Yes, yes & yes.
Flaked wheat is different to torrified wheat but that is of no concern to you at this stage. Either will be ok in that amount.

Ok great thanks, and if I cant get a big enough pot and have to do half of the 23 litres for this recipe, do I just half everything else??

Ok great thanks, and if I cant get a big enough pot and have to do half of the 23 litres for this recipe, do I just half everything else??

Put the figures into beermate as a 23L batch, then scale down the batch size to what you want. The ingredients will scale down accordingly.

Where do I find beermate? I googled it and found brewmate is that the same thing?

Latest posts

Back