Stone And Wood Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably because brewers are generally a helpful bunch and if there's someone in your area who can demonstrate an AG brew so you can see how it's done (really helps people understand the process) then they probably will.

Exactly what manticle said. It is easier to explain it all when doing a practical. The whole BIAG process is very easy, you just need someone to show you. No affiliation but Thirsty Boy and Geoff will be doing a demo next weekend the 27th of august an Grain and Grape. They are very good at explaining the whole process. Failing that you could ask if you could go a watch/help someone in your area on here.

Cheers

Shan

photo.JPG

Well just poured myself a glass of is wonferful amber liquid, its still a bit clowdy but its an aswome colour its got a real hoppy smell to it you can smell it in the glass from 2m away, its also got a bit of a peach smell about it probably from the Safale S-04 Yeast.

Special thanx to the guys at Brewcraft for the recepie for this beer. I asked them if they had a clone for Stone and Wood Pacific ale but they didnt have one.

Anyhow this is what they madeup on the spot for me

-Safale S-04 Yeast
-50g galaxy hop pellets
-Malt Shovel Two-Row Lager Kit
-CARAPILIS Malt 500g (I cant remember how much of this malt they said to use but I used all of it)
-1kg Brew Booster #15
- 45g Hersbrucker flowers from my own garden (not in Brewcraft's recepie but I dont care)

Method
CARAPILIS Malt 500g 1 hour @ about 70C-80C
Then
1 hour boil at which point I added 25g Galaxy Hops
As I dont have a Wort chiller I put about 5lt of ice into the fermenter then I poured the wort into the fermenter allong with a bag of 45g of Hersbrucker and 25g of Galaxy hops at this point I aslo added the 1kg Brew Booster

The compleated wort ended up at about 26C, lucky I had plenty of room in the chest freezer so the hole fermenter went inside to cool the wort down.

Primary for 9 Days
Rack it into another fermenter and let it sit in the fridge at 2C to let it settle for about a week before kegging it

Lovely enjoy :beer:

Put the figures into beermate as a 23L batch, then scale down the batch size to what you want. The ingredients will scale down accordingly.

Im trying to add my figures into beer mate but don't quite get it. Under the grain section it has a comment box that says "Specialty grains that dont require mashing, but all the grains I am adding to this recipe require mashing.

Also when adding new grains to the table below what exactly is this "Potential" I can get the EBC from the suppliers website but not the potential.

Name Potential EBC
Amber 50 1.034 50

Don't know Truman, never added grains before. I just use whats in the drop down boxes. I don't mind if I cant find the exact brand, I just bring basic ale/pilsener/wheat grains.

Exactly what manticle said. It is easier to explain it all when doing a practical. The whole BIAG process is very easy, you just need someone to show you. No affiliation but Thirsty Boy and Geoff will be doing a demo next weekend the 27th of august an Grain and Grape. They are very good at explaining the whole process. Failing that you could ask if you could go a watch/help someone in your area on here.

Cheers

Shan

That sounds perfect, I will try and get up there this Saturday. Thanks for the help.

I grabbed 500g of fresh galaxy flowers last time I was up at grain and grape. I might give Daemons recipe a go on Friday, but was thinking of hop bursting from 5 mins with no bittering addition. I no-chill so will have to take it easy on the additions, and will be dry hopping the shed out of it for a few days. I might do a 1 min aroma steep in the coffee plunger as well, just for good measure.

What's everyones thoughts on brewing this with a larger yeast?

What's everyones thoughts on brewing this with a larger yeast?
IIRC, there is a low to moderate ester profile going on there. In terms of doing a clone, I'd stick with an ale yeast.

Would be interesting to try a galaxy pilsner.... could be a worthwhile experiment.

Yer I have a heap of lager yeast here so I thought it would be a experiment, might just keep it as an ale yeast. I'm liking the galaxy flavours alot, howd your clone go Siborg?

Yer I have a heap of lager yeast here so I thought it would be a experiment, might just keep it as an ale yeast. I'm liking the galaxy flavours alot, howd your clone go Siborg?
haven't brewed it yet. gonna brew tomorrow.

This is very similar. The Caramunich boosts the malt profile slightly and the cascade rounds off those sharp edges.
Using a High AA like Galaxy at the back tends to give a sharpness to the bitterness.
Using something less AA for your bittering addition tends to round that sharpness off and make it smoother.
Mash at 64-66
Pilsner malt, so 90min boil.

try to use whole hops for the boil and first dry hop.
Rack after 7 days and use pellets, unless you have something to filter out the hop floaties.
Tastes better from the keg, but nice from the bottle.

Code:
Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 25.00 L	  

Boil Size: 36.08 L

Estimated OG: 1.047 SG

Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM

Estimated IBU: 21.4 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.0 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount		Item									 Type		 % or IBU	  

2.75 kg	   Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)			Grain		59.8 %		

1.75 kg	   Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)   Grain		38.0 %		

0.10 kg	   Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM)	  Grain		2.2 %		 

10.00 gm	  Galaxy [14.70%]  (15 min)				Hops		 7.8 IBU	   

10.00 gm	  Cascade [6.70%]  (60 min)				Hops		 7.2 IBU	   

20.00 gm	  Galaxy [14.70%]  (5 min)				 Hops		 6.3 IBU	   

50.00 gm	  Galaxy [13.50%]  (Dry Hop 10 days)	   Hops		  -			

50.00 gm	  Galaxy [13.50%]  (Dry Hop 5 days)		Hops		  -			

50.00 gm	  Galaxy [14.70%]  (0 min)				 Hops		  -			

1 Pkgs		California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051)	Yeast-Ale

And for something slightly different, more 'stone fruit' and yet just as tasty that your wife\girlfriend will absolutely love.
Once again, cascade at the back.

Code:
Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 25.00 L	  

Boil Size: 36.08 L

Estimated OG: 1.047 SG

Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM

Estimated IBU: 19.8 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.0 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount		Item									 Type		 % or IBU	  

2.75 kg	   Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)			Grain		59.8 %		

1.75 kg	   Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)   Grain		38.0 %		

0.10 kg	   Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM)	  Grain		2.2 %		 

10.00 gm	  Cascade [5.30%]  (60 min)				Hops		 5.7 IBU	   

10.00 gm	  Pacific Jade [13.70%]  (10 min)		  Hops		 5.3 IBU	   

10.00 gm	  Cascade [5.30%]  (20 min)				Hops		 3.5 IBU	   

10.00 gm	  Pacific Jade [13.70%]  (5 min)		   Hops		 2.9 IBU	   

10.00 gm	  Citra [11.10%]  (5 min)				  Hops		 2.4 IBU	   

25.00 gm	  Citra [11.10%]  (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops		  -			

25.00 gm	  Citra [11.10%]  (Dry Hop 5 days)		 Hops		  -			

25.00 gm	  Pacific Jade [13.70%]  (0 min) (Aroma HopHops		  -			

25.00 gm	  Pacific Jade [13.70%]  (Dry Hop 5 days)  Hops		  -							 

1 Pkgs		California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)	  Yeast-Ale

Cheers,

Beer Fingers

edit: wasn't trying for a "clone" as such, but more of a S&W "inspired" beer

So I put down a galaxy ale yesterday. Just threw something quick together:

3Kg JW Trad Ale
1.5Kg Wheat
0.2Kg Munich (light)

Hops: all 14% AA galaxy flowers
5g @ 4mins
5g @ 3mins
10g@2mins
10g@1min
10g@0min and whirlpooled

As I was no chilling, IBU's are effectively calculated by adding approx. 15 mins on to those additions.

I'm going to french press a ridiculous amount of flowers in my 1L plunger. I'm also contemplating dry hopping with some of these flowers. I must say they just smelt soo good.

IBU should fall somewhere between 20-30 and OG was 1.059 in something like 17L, so will definitely be watering down when I pitch some US05 on to it.

If I were to brew this again, I'd drop back the ale by maybe half a kilo as I was aiming for more like 1.045-1.050 OG.

I still have another 250g bag of flowers so will wait and see how this turns out and make some tweaks for the next on.

Hi guys,

just noticed this thread. I love this beer and I have been trying to get the S&W draught right for a while now. I had a chat to the brewers at the food and wine show last year and I seem to remember (in my drunken haze) that they said the malt split was 60/40 pale/wheat. They wouldn't specify the hops additions except to say it was a "shitload" of galaxy flowers , with multiple additions.

Anyway, this is my 3rd iteration and is very close.....
The bitterness is higher than the 21 IBUs indicate, I suspect the final aroma addition added a fair bit.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Snow
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Snow's Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.87 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.5 IBU
5.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
35.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05 ) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 430 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C

Cheers - Snow.

I'm looking at brewing this for one of my mates wedding, it should go down a treat.

About to put an order in for a grain and hop bill to give this beer a shot -- has anyone made any improvement on the work of Snow or others out there? Seeing a mixture of recipes that call for both malted and torrified wheat up to 40% of the total grain bill. Cheers.

I've pasted my recipe below. I aimed for 60/40 pale/malted&torrified wheat as per the S&W website, and aimed to get most of my bitterness from late hops.

It turned out really similar apart from having a higher bitterness (definitely didn't taste like 19 IBU), which became a lot more apparent after a couple of weeks in the keg. I would drop the 30min addition next time.

I dry hopped in two batches to avoid grassy notes - just had a hop bag on some fishing line that I pulled out after 3-4 days.

5.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (57.89%)
3.000 kg Wheat Malt (31.58%)
0.500 kg Rice Hulls (5.26%)
0.500 kg Torrified Wheat (5.26%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 g/L)
30.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
40.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
50.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.3 g/L)
70.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (3.5 g/L)
70.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop) (3.5 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

I've pasted my recipe below. I aimed for 60/40 pale/malted&torrified wheat as per the S&W website, and aimed to get most of my bitterness from late hops.

It turned out really similar apart from having a higher bitterness (definitely didn't taste like 19 IBU), which became a lot more apparent after a couple of weeks in the keg. I would drop the 30min addition next time.

I dry hopped in two batches to avoid grassy notes - just had a hop bag on some fishing line that I pulled out after 3-4 days.

5.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (57.89%)
3.000 kg Wheat Malt (31.58%)
0.500 kg Rice Hulls (5.26%)
0.500 kg Torrified Wheat (5.26%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 g/L)
30.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
40.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
50.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.3 g/L)
70.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (3.5 g/L)
70.0 g Galaxy Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 3 Days (Dry Hop) (3.5 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

What effect is using 5% torrified wheat achieving, assuming 30% wheat malt is providing head retention etc, mouth feel, aesthetics etc?

What effect is using 5% torrified wheat achieving, assuming 30% wheat malt is providing head retention etc, mouth feel, aesthetics etc?

I actually meant to use 1kg of it and have it up at about 10%, but I accidentally only ordered 500g.

And quite frankly, I don't know - I only included it based on the S&W ingredients they list, I'm likely going to leave it out next time and see if there's any discernible difference (unlikely I imagine).

Snow said:
Hi guys,

just noticed this thread. I love this beer and I have been trying to get the S&W draught right for a while now. I had a chat to the brewers at the food and wine show last year and I seem to remember (in my drunken haze) that they said the malt split was 60/40 pale/wheat. They wouldn't specify the hops additions except to say it was a "shitload" of galaxy flowers , with multiple additions.

Anyway, this is my 3rd iteration and is very close.....
The bitterness is higher than the 21 IBUs indicate, I suspect the final aroma addition added a fair bit.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Snow
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Snow's Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.80 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.87 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 3.5 IBU
5.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
12.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
35.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Galaxy flowers [14.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05 ) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 430 cal/l
Est Color: 3.3 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C

Cheers - Snow.
If I brewed this using BIAB would I just throw the mash hop in at the start of the mash (along with the grains) and then remove it after the mash out, or should it be in a hop bag and stay there for the whole boil? I have never done a mash hop before so not sure.

Thanks!

Back