Stone And Wood Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put one of these down last night.

3kg BB Ale
1.5kg BB Wheat
5gm Galaxy (13.4% AA) @ FWH
25gm Galaxy @ cube
Will dry hop the 70gm I have left.

Didn't check OG before I cubed, will just check before I throw the yeast on (prob use BRY97)

Brewed one at the end of October and kept in a cube until Friday the 27/11.

Recipe details here.

But basically close to 60:40 MO & Wheat, plus a little CaraPils & Acidulated.
Cube-hopped 30g Galaxy, to dry hop 70g once it's fermented out using WLP051.

I'm sure it'll change after fermentation, but fwiw, a sample out of the cube was a pretty harsh bittering. Maybe Galaxy doesn't cube-hop so well...

It'll be right, from my experience unfermented wort always tastes pretty rough!

I'm hoping so, but this is a lot rougher than normal. Tastes like i've sucked on a few teabags.

Makes me wonder if Galaxy and some of the other hops renown for being harsh bitterers might simply be high in polyphenols.

technobabble66 said:
I'm hoping so, but this is a lot rougher than normal. Tastes like i've sucked on a few teabags.

Makes me wonder if Galaxy and some of the other hops renown for being harsh bitterers might simply be high in polyphenols.
Been in the fermenter a week now, took a gravity reading and sample and mine tastes great. Certainly no harsh bitterness.

How is yours going, techno?

False alarm :lol: 2 days into active fermentation and it was smooth as a baby's.
It's now well fermented out. Annoyingly this 3rd run with a batch of WLP051 (prev 2 were diff brews) decided to ferment out a little higher and more importantly my mash temp slipped a bit (down from 66 to 62.5 at the end of the sacch step). I thought I might've gotten away with it, but the FG kept dropping down to 1.006 instead of 1.011. . So it'll be a fraction thin I think. The Wheat stands out like dogs balls. Like those 'Merican Wheats. Not what I was after, tbh. So I'll see what it's like after dry hopping and carbing in the bottle. Curious to see whether the claim SWPA is 40% wheat malt is bollocks
Speaking of dry hopping, I threw in 70g Galaxy & started CCing last night down to 8*C today. Hoping to bottle tmrw morning

Good stuff, I threw my 70 gm dry hop in last night too. I'll give at 3 or 4 days at ferment temp then crash to 0 for a few days.

Can't wait to get this one in to the keg.

tj2204 said:
Good stuff, I threw my 70 gm dry hop in last night too. I'll give at 3 or 4 days at ferment temp then crash to 0 for a few days.

Can't wait to get this one in to the keg.

So how did you go with this TJ??

I'm very interested in your hop method.

Frothy1 said:
So how did you go with this TJ??

I'm very interested in your hop method.
If you're interested in FWH, I can say that my experience with it is that it has taken away most of the harshness that I used to get. I've accidentally not FWH'd and noticed a much harsher bitterness in the finished beer. Cohumulone content in my bittering hop was partially to blame though - I think Galaxy is relatively high to others (32%-42%) compared to mid 20s for other primary bittering hops.

Also, my crack at a S&W PA clone a few years ago tasted pretty close to the original - 30% BB wheat malt by the way with 100% Galaxy. I only dry hopped with 10g, with most of my additions at 10,0. I wouldn't dry hop with much more as I recently did a mental IPA, dry hopped with 80g of a mix of hops (lots of Galaxy) for 6 days and it was super grassy. I've read plenty of reports that dry hopped Galaxy can turn your beer super grassy, so I would stick to the 10,0 additions if I were you, or maybe dry hop for <3 days.

I'd love to hear how the 70g dry hopped turns out - I would love to be wrong about Galaxy dry hopping - as its aroma is amazing.

The 70gm dry hop was good, aroma didn't last as long as I'd like though. I usually dry hop in the keg and leave the hop bag in til it kicks, I was too scared to do this with the galaxy though.

The beer itself was only okay in my opinion, it did get rave reviews from everyone else who tried it, just wasn't bitter enough for me.

You probably nailed it then, Pacific ale really isn't a bitter beer.
Brew day tomorrow and I was thinking of missing the 60 min addition all together and adding it as FWH instead.

Generally I dislike Pacific Ale, to me it lacks body and is more like an "entry level" craft beer, pale and mild with upfront hops to educate the lumpen masses with probably their first experience of hops. In a way it's like a slightly more aromatic Kosciusko "craft-washed" effort and ooohhh it's cloudy, must be one of those things that those hipsters like, let's try it.

However recently I had to go back to Bribie Island for a funeral and checked out the new Sandstone Point pub that has opened since I left. They had Lashes and Pacific on tap so I went a couple of the Pacifics and they were, in that context, a brilliant quaffer (as opposed to when I had previously tried the brew in competition with the likes of Murrays or Four Pines when in Newcastle pubs).

I'd agree that it really relies on the upfront dry hopping and is not by any means a bitter beer, I'd guess your impression was based on "bitterness creep" that seems to afflict us brewers.

If doing "clones" one thing to check for, is to revisit the appropriate brewery website now and again and see what's happening with the brew. For example I really enjoyed Murray's Moon Boy Golden Ale and see that they have changed the late hopping from Pacifica to a combination of Motueka and Ella, for some reason, as well as upping the ABV by a couple of points.

Bloody craft brewers, why can't they be consistent like VB. :angry:

I'm just going to throw this out there as no ones really touched on the possibilities and I believe it's probably impossible to clone this beer with out something along these lines. I drink a ton of this beer weekly and have sat round thinking about what might be in it for a while now. I honestly think the yeast that they use in this beer is a Kolsch yeast and that is what makes this beer so unique compared to other ales in the market.

Here's a few points which made me come to this consensus. I understand all the possible arguments against my points but here I go and I've got a recently brewed recipe and a side by side photo to follow.

* The beer is usually fairly cloudy and hazey and the haze is more of a yeast haze. Characteristic of a Kolsch yeast.

* When the beer is fresh I personally get a fair amount of Sulfur out of it. Characteristic of a Kolsch yeast that mellows with age.

* Once the beer has been sitting around in the fridge for a reasonable amount of time most the yeast drops out and the beer becomes a Lager like Ale. Characteristic that the yeast manufactures also state about this strain.

* This may be my strongest point. Stone and Wood Jasper Ale is inspired by a German Alt beer and pretty much is one. I wouldn't be surprised if they us the same yeast in that beer too.

* Their Green Coast Lager is also deliberately cloudy another possibility of the use of a Kolsch yeast.

Anyway here is what I put down a few months ago now and I believe the malt and yeast character is very close. Something I dont think could be replicated with an American Ale or English Ale strain.

Grain Bill thanks to Snow:

60% Ale Malt
40% Wheat Malt
Estimated OG 1.044
Estimated FG 1.012

Yeast:

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast

Fermented at 16C. Will go a bit lower next time as it was kick'n. I think 14C would be good spot for this yeast.

Hops:

Play around and do what you think will get you close based on your system and process. I wasn't going for an exact clone just something very similar. The malt and the yeast will get you most of the way there for the overall beer. All Galaxy Pellets. (I know it's rumoured they use flowers but I had pellets on hand).

60 mins

5 mins

1 mins

WP

Dry Hop:

3 grams per litre for 3 days.

The beer will be real hazy at first after kegging due to the Kolsch Yeast and doesn't really clear up all that well for a while. But buy a bottle of Pacific Ale and roll it to get all the yeast of the bottom as per the instructions on their website and you'll find it's quite similar. Next time I reckon I'll cold crash for longer then usual, probably two weeks to get a bit more but not all of the yeast out.

Also in regards to the instructions on their website to roll the bottle and get the yeast back up in to suspension. I highly doubt you could get that much American or English Ale yeast back up in to suspension and still have such a great tasting beer.

Any way give it a crack if you like. The yeast is a major player in my opinion. And either way you'll still get a nice drinking summer ale.

Cheers

Here's the photo, the one on the right is my Home Brew.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Hargie said:
...thanks for the comments guys, i spend every day brewing,hopping, kegging, packing and generally caring for these beers..glad you like 'em...

...as for the recipes, i'm under an obvious obligation not to give out commercially sensitive info...so, i wont apart from saying...keep guessing guys...one of the great joys of brewing is the voyage of discovery... :D...

...Scott...
Now that you no longer work there are you able to give us at least a little hint in regards to my yeast rant.

Cheers

Yeah no probs... I'll say this though, I build recipes based on me knowing what I get out of out of my system so it may be a little different for you. My main point in this topic was to highlight the yeast possibilities.

Anyway here's my hop amounts for a 40 litre batch.

60 mins 23g @ 12.8% AA = 20.3 IBU

5 mins 60g @ 12.8% AA = 10.5 IBU

1 min 60g @ 12.8% AA = 2.3 IBU

WP for 10 mins 60g @ 12.8% AA half way through.

I don't calculate IBUs for WP additions. I know it makes a difference for overall IBUs. But that's just how I do things on my system. And with such late additions the perceived bitterness is much lower anyway.

Remember those amounts are for a 40 litre batch too.

Dry Hop

3g per litre for 3 days.

Cheers

Dan K said:
Now that you no longer work there are you able to give us at least a little hint in regards to my yeast rant.

Cheers
Don't you wish you could tag people on this forum... Something I often think of.

Dan K said:
Yeah no probs... I'll say this though, I build recipes based on me knowing what I get out of out of my system so it may be a little different for you. My main point in this topic was to highlight the yeast possibilities.

Anyway here's my hop amounts for a 40 litre batch.

60 mins 23g @ 12.8% AA = 20.3 IBU

5 mins 60g @ 12.8% AA = 10.5 IBU

1 min 60g @ 12.8% AA = 2.3 IBU

WP for 10 mins 60g @ 12.8% AA half way through.

I don't calculate IBUs for WP additions. I know it makes a difference for overall IBUs. But that's just how I do things on my system. And with such late additions the perceived bitterness is much lower anyway.

Remember those amounts are for a 40 litre batch too.

Dry Hop

3g per litre for 3 days.

Cheers
Thanks Dan.

Do you keg or bottle?

Latest posts

Back