Stone And Wood Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan K said:
Yeah no probs... I'll say this though, I build recipes based on me knowing what I get out of out of my system so it may be a little different for you. My main point in this topic was to highlight the yeast possibilities.

Anyway here's my hop amounts for a 40 litre batch.

60 mins 23g @ 12.8% AA = 20.3 IBU

5 mins 60g @ 12.8% AA = 10.5 IBU

1 min 60g @ 12.8% AA = 2.3 IBU

WP for 10 mins 60g @ 12.8% AA half way through.

I don't calculate IBUs for WP additions. I know it makes a difference for overall IBUs. But that's just how I do things on my system. And with such late additions the perceived bitterness is much lower anyway.

Remember those amounts are for a 40 litre batch too.

Dry Hop

3g per litre for 3 days.

Cheers
Personally, I'd keep the IBU down to around 18. Galaxy is harsh for bittering and i would scrap the 60min addition.
I love this beer when its fresh from the keg. Its my go to beer when its on tap.

_WALLACE_ said:
Personally, I'd keep the IBU down to around 18. Galaxy is harsh for bittering and i would scrap the 60min addition.
I love this beer when its fresh from the keg. Its my go to beer when its on tap.
Yeah fair call to reduce the IBU a bit.

My main objective was to get people thinking about the yeast thats probably in it. I maybe wrong but money is on that it's a Kolsch yeast and they use that yeast in all 3 of their core beers. Jasper Ale, Pacific Ale and Green Coast Lager. The Lagering period for the Jasper Ale and Green Coast Lager is what clears those beers out more then the Pacific Ale.

Well... Ok, if your in the mood for a laugh.

I did my first all grain on the weekend with Snow's recipe Check out this recipe from Snow:-
All went well apart from overshooting my boil volume by 3 liters.......Ouch, I've now set my mash tun deadspace.
Also had trouble hitting my mash temp so I added 2 kettles worth of boiled water, but I got there,
Then, couldn't reach my sparge temp but hit 72c, and after boiling it down for 3 hours to an OG of 1.042, I figured this might be OK.

I did scrap the 60 minute addition, but FWH 10g, the rest of the hop schedule is the same as Snow's.
When it went into the FV it had some bitterness to it, Probably just right for me, but I dont think in line with the Pacific ale IBU

I boiled it down for 3 hours... Hahaha.
After it took an hour to start boiling on my gas stove top wok burner, i went and bought a 3 ring burner.
Yes, the boil was supervised in my absence, but i'm sure it made all the difference having that vigorous boil.

It's bubbling away now, so I'm guessing its going to be beer.
A lighter beer but beer none the less.

I'm sure one of you experienced brewers can instill me with confidence that my first all grain should turn out ok?

Cheers, Froth

_WALLACE_ said:
Galaxy is harsh for bittering and i would scrap the 60min addition.
I haven't found this to be the case when I use Galaxy (and i've used it a lot lately).

My current house beer is a knock of MG fancy pants, which is exclusively Galaxy. I get about 25% of my IBUs from a 60 minute addition and the remainder from a massive cube hop and it gives me a beautiful smooth bitterness. Having said that I rarely use my 60 minute addition to give me more than ~30% of my IBUs in hop forward beers.

Keep the 60 minute addition to about 10-15 of your total IBUs and get the rest from late hopping (cube or otherwise).

Just my way of doing things.

JD

I brewed snows recipe for this recently with all late additions and dry hopping in the fermenter. Tasting it out of the fermenter the taste and aroma were perfect but since I have kegged it I find it a little lacking. I'm tempted to try some keg hopping with this. On a side note I managed to scorch my heating element - maybe a by product of using 40% wheat I guess.

JD - do you have a recipe for the MG fancy pants that you would be willing to share?

Of course mate :icon_offtopic:

70% 2-row
14% Munich
8% Wheat
7.5% Light Crystal
0.5% Roast malt

Galaxy at 60 minutues to 14 IBUs
Galaxy in the cube to achieve 17 IBUs
2g/L dry hop at ~7 days

Ferment with US05/1056/1272 (whatever you like really)

Drink fresh.

This gets me pretty close on my system, with my processes, however might need a bit of tweaking for yours to get it right.

JD

im still on the liquid malt extract brewing ( first ever brew going for second week in the bottles ) . is it possible to get close by using kits? i would love to get close to the stone and wood taste but i dont have an idea of how to get to it using cans. one day ill be brave enough to go all grain.

The pacific ale is about 40% wheat ( I use 50/50 raw to malted wheat which you can't do via tins) so the closest you'll get is to grab a tin of the coopers wheat malt, which is actually 50/50 barley/wheat . If you want to up the barley % a bit add some dry malt.

Woggy_g said:
im still on the liquid malt extract brewing ( first ever brew going for second week in the bottles ) . is it possible to get close by using kits? i would love to get close to the stone and wood taste but i dont have an idea of how to get to it using cans. one day ill be brave enough to go all grain.

Woggy.

Do you want an all extract recipe or a kit and kilo recipe?

Woggy_g said:
kit and kilo will be awesome
Try this Woggy.

1 can of coopers APA or Blonde will probably be less bitter ( i like the APA)
1 can of wheat malt extract
300g dex for the hop boil in 5 liters of water.
15g galaxy @ 15 mins
15g galaxy @ 5 mins
15g galaxy @ 0 mins
US05 yeast
Made to 23 litres.
40 grams galaxy dry hopped.

thanks

Frothy1 said:
Try this Woggy.

1 can of coopers APA or Blonde will probably be less bitter ( i like the APA)
1 can of wheat malt extract
300g dex for the hop boil in 5 liters of water.
15g galaxy @ 15 mins
15g galaxy @ 5 mins
15g galaxy @ 0 mins
US05 yeast
Made to 23 litres.
40 grams galaxy dry hopped.
thanks a million - will give it a go this weekend.

Woggy_g said:
@frothy1 - off topic - got a kolsch recipe lying around ?
Nah sorry not Kolsch recipes..

But speaking of kolsch, next time I do a Stone and Wood clone i'm going to use Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast as Dan K has mentioned.

Oh yeah, I just looked through my notes and I recommended scrapping the 15 min addition with the coopers APA and adding it to the 5 min addition if I wanted to make it more like the S&W PA .
Personally, I like a bitter beer and S&W PA is not one.... But the flavor and aroma is amazing..

I did a side by side comparison of my first version of this with a commercial bottle. 40grams was not enough dry hops to get the aroma i was getting out of the bottle. I would recommend at least 80 grams dry hopped with 120g being optimal.

Coodgee said:
I did a side by side comparison of my first version of this with a commercial bottle. 40grams was not enough dry hops to get the aroma i was getting out of the bottle. I would recommend at least 80 grams dry hopped with 120g being optimal.
Hi Coodgee.

Are you dry hopping in the keg?

No in either primary or secondary. I am about to dry hop a batch this week and I'll do it in primary about 4 days after f.g has been reached and at 18 degrees for 4 days. Last time i dry hopped cold and i didn't get half as much aroma add the previous time.

I second the observation above. Last time I tried this I added my hops just before cold crashing and the result was not what I expected. This time I'll dry-hop once FG has been reached and hold off cold crashing for 4 days as per above.

One thing we probably can't avoid is that the aroma and flavour for galaxy (maybe all hops?) just will not last and this beer needs to be drunk fresh. Even with the commercial S&W I can tell if a keg has been on tap for a while, or if a bottle is not out of a fresh batch. I've even been able to tell when a pub has changed kegs mid drinking session.

Fortunately Pacific Ale is a very tasty drop and lends itself to being drunk very quickly.

Latest posts

Back