Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if these are available all set up with the 2x standard aussie 240V sockets all set up?

There are people on ebay that sell them made up from time to time
Or you can buy a premade similar unit from Keg King (or any LHBS that sells keg king gear)
Wiring them is dead easy, TBH
I had both of mine checked over by a sparky mate just to be sure, though)

Thanks everyone for the information, read through the whole thread and has given me a good idea on how it works.

Gday all. Looking at making a temp controlled fermentation fridge.
STC-1000 sounds like all the rage. What else is required apart from the STC unit and Where's the best place to get the additional plugs and pieces that go with it? Cheers everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

jaycar...

jiffy box
cable glands
extension cord
either female power plugs or a 2 gang wall plate
some cable joiner things < technical term

elsewhere...
a sparky mate to check it over

There is another thread on custom firmware to pimp it out too

Do yourself a favour and look towards buying components from a wholesale lighting and electrical store. I saved myself $20 alone just on the jiffy/project box....got it for $8 and it was weather sealedB)

Cheers all

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

acrow said:
Sorry, but I'm double posting this (original in the pinned stc1000),

Just that I would like a 2nd opinion and am not getting anyone to reply.

I'm not asking for anyone to that is fantastic and will work but just asking do the wires look to be in the correct connects (taken from the pictures in the pinned instructions).

As mentioned I have a sparky next door (and away atm) and will be also showing him for his opinion but would like 2 opinions overall.

If I could get some thoughts as I want to get this started this weekend.

Thanks.

IMGP5355_zpsf623b018.jpg
Mate I know u posted this a while ago but to me your cable glands r the wrong way. The nut should be on the inside and you should tighten the gland onto the shielding not just the 3 exposed cables. And u should not need a cable tie to hold it in place.

Macca

Rather than start a new topic, thought I'd add my questions here.

So I've just housed and set up a STC-1000 in my spare fridge (woop woop!):

IMG_20141023_201614599.jpg

It's all working. Great. My mate told me that a fermenting fridge was the one thing that really improved the quality of his home brewing.

I've set it to 19C as a tester and I'm just watching it now. When the temperature drops just below 19c, the fridge shuts off as expected. I've set a 3 minute compressor delay time. I'm wondering if setting that to 4 minutes might be a little better because in this heat, it'll be on and off like clockwork. It's pretty much working like this:

1. Temperature drops to about 18.5C in a few minutes
  2. Fridge shuts off
  3. Temperature rises to around 23C
  4. Three minutes is roughly over, fridge kicks in again
  5. Go to 1
My concern is the fluctuation of temperature. To be fair, I've just thrown the temperature sensor in the fridge as it is and I dare say when it's stuck up against a fermenter, it might be a bit more consistent. Would I be correct in thinking this? Oh, and I meant to ask, is it work getting a heat source or should the ambient temperature more than provide for that?

Cheers,

welly

Insulate it with a stubby holder and you'll get better results. I haven't used a thermowell so can't comment on them

I've just set my fridge up also so I'm in the same boat . I was told to put the temp sensor in a mug of water inside the fridge? Makes sense for a more consistent reading. I'm assuming you only need the heat source if the outside temp will be below your 19 d set temp.? I just put my heat pad on the bottom shelf.

A cup of water has a significantly different thermal mass to your wort....

Measure the brew not the water, also, water isn't changing temperature like your fermenting wort is.

I squeeze mine against the side of the fridge and the side of the FV insulated in a block of Styrofoam with just the probe free to touch the FV

welly2, are you saying that inside your fridge it heats up 5°C in three minutes? That's a very rapid change in temp insied an insulated enclosure. Where exactly is your sensor sitting?

The standard black temp sensor that comes with the STC 1000 is submersible isn't it?

Sure is, but I wouldn't be putting it directly into the wort. As pointed-out previously, the easiest way is to strap it to the side of your FV, covered with some sort of insulation (I use a cut-up stubby holder).

TheWiggman said:
welly2, are you saying that inside your fridge it heats up 5°C in three minutes? That's a very rapid change in temp insied an insulated enclosure. Where exactly is your sensor sitting?
It was a bit of an unscientific test where I just chucked the sensor into the fridge (which is empty) on its own. I'm going to fill up a fermenter with water this weekend, attach the sensor to it as you would do normally and test it a bit more properly.

Keep in mind that he is in Darwin which is about 36c at this time of the year.

Bit it does sound a little excessive.

If anyone is interested another fourm member and mate Mike sent me this shopping list from jaycar to buy kit to wire it up.

1 x
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB6012&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=986#1

1m x
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WB1562&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=995#1

1 x
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP4001

2 x
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS4094

1x Cable joiny thing

You could get away with a smaller jiffy box, but i like the space. I'll put up a photo once its all built.

Latest posts

Back