Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Do. I run 5 of these now and my spare runs an oil heater in my bubs room.

Love these units.
Pretty versatile when wired this way aren't they. I found other ways of wiring them on the net and youtube, none of them were very precise about the process, when I saw the windibagi/wood88 posts on here I knew it was the way to go for me.

Just looking forward to more consistent results now with my brews and no off flavours (brewing in a tin garage, anything from 25c to 35c) so no more running around trying to cool the fermenter down by whatever means

I favour the dark ales but now I'm also able to have a go at lager for the first time when I choose. :)

I really does worry me when brewers post " have I wired this correctly" or " how do I wire this up " posts. Personaly, if you have to ask questions like that you should not be touching it. The problem is made worse when others offer the wrong advice and justify it by saying " yeah well this worked for me" , and there has been posts made by some I thought where electricians who should know better

Whilst an STC may be an easy device to wire, a little bit of incorrect knowledge is a dangerous thing. Just like a 2nd yr apprentice. I have seen brewers go on to wire up control panels without fully knowing juat what they are doing. Same for fridges. One day someone will get zapped or injured by DIY electricals.

Whilst doing as much of your brew rig is a good thing, there are some things that should not be done by those with little or no idea. The " I asked about it on the internet" is not going to help when your house burns down or you injure or kill someone. And encouraging people is the worst of all.

very true and I'm another one for a 2nd opinion.
I have a sparky next door (although away for a week) but will ask him to check my wiring also.
But in the meantime I wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion from my fellow brewers also.
Under the pinned posting I have put up a photo of my wiring - does it look ok to you? (click on image then next image click the magnifying symbol)
Thanks.

I wont say if your wiring is OK, simply because its not something you can do looking at a photo. Bit like asking a mechanic if your car is ok just by showing him a photo.

But you need to fix the cable glands/bushes. They should be screwed tight so the cable cannot be pulled out, and floating terminal blocks are a pet hate for me. Sorry, I am pedantic like that. Was part of my apprentice training.

Fair enough, but was really wondering if the wiring looks as if it is wired to correct connections (not so much to whether the wiring is secure or not etc.)

Even the car mechanic can say 'yes the wiring is in the correct terminals, but whether it works or not I don't know".

The cable glands had not been secured at time of photo - thinking if something was 'wrong' I didn't need to undo it all.

I like my work tidy and neat also :)

Ducatiboy stu said:
I really does worry me when brewers post " have I wired this correctly" or " how do I wire this up " posts. Personaly, if you have to ask questions like that you should not be touching it. The problem is made worse when others offer the wrong advice and justify it by saying " yeah well this worked for me" , and there has been posts made by some I thought where electricians who should know better

Whilst an STC may be an easy device to wire, a little bit of incorrect knowledge is a dangerous thing. Just like a 2nd yr apprentice. I have seen brewers go on to wire up control panels without fully knowing juat what they are doing. Same for fridges. One day someone will get zapped or injured by DIY electricals.

Whilst doing as much of your brew rig is a good thing, there are some things that should not be done by those with little or no idea. The " I asked about it on the internet" is not going to help when your house burns down or you injure or kill someone. And encouraging people is the worst of all.
Fair enough. That's probably a good cautious position to take; but, like you say, the STC is an easy device to wire once you get your head around the wiring diagram/s - even for someone who's never wired before. It's probably not so much that people need to ask if they've done it correctly but rather that it's recommended on these boards that people get a second opinion. Plus if many people have done this before - why not check? Even sparkies get it wrong...

Because of its simplicity, plus the fact that most homebrewers like to do it themselves and save a penny, most will not want to pay an electrician or spend extra on a pre-wired unit. Whilst the internet mightn't be the best source of certified information, it is a place where the community can come together and pool resources. When so many people have done this job and have it working, it seems reasonable that we can offer our appraisal with a disclaimer and recommendation that people get it properly looked at or completed by an electrician.

I don't know.. I can see the risk but it just seems very doable to me.

Sorry, but I'm double posting this (original in the pinned stc1000),

Just that I would like a 2nd opinion and am not getting anyone to reply.

I'm not asking for anyone to that is fantastic and will work but just asking do the wires look to be in the correct connects (taken from the pictures in the pinned instructions).

As mentioned I have a sparky next door (and away atm) and will be also showing him for his opinion but would like 2 opinions overall.

If I could get some thoughts as I want to get this started this weekend.

Thanks.

IMGP5355_zpsf623b018.jpg

Yup, looks right and reasonably nice and tidy too. Geez I've seen some really dodgy jobs 'round the interwebs. You seem to have the same cable glands and jiffy box as me :) . They're a bit more expensive than, say, a lunchbox from the supermarket, but they give me that extra piece of mind. Also they look semi-professional :p .

The only thing I'd suggest is using a cable tie or something on the sensor cable to stop you pulling the it too hard and risking the connectors coming loose.

Thanks guys, that gives me better piece of mind.
And yes 'verysupple' will put a cable tie on the sensor (although I may a hole small enough to have the cable tightish (but better safe than sorry).
I got mine box and equipment from jaycar - but must say the box only just fit the stc1000 - it fits just right between the corner screw holes with the orange 'supports' pushing up against them.
The cable glands will be finished off like the lower one showing (just didn't 'finish' until a bit of an ok with it).
cheers and appreciate your time.
Geoff

acrow said:
I got mine box and equipment from jaycar - but must say the box only just fit the stc1000 - it fits just right between the corner screw holes with the orange 'supports' pushing up against them.
I think I bought the same box as you but ended up buying the larger one/s. Too tight.

sp0rk said:
Just wondering if anyone has used one of these STCs for a keg fridge before?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-STC-1000-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Sensor-220V-TR-/310873972594?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4861885f72&_uhb=1
It looks like it can only do heating OR cooling, not both
I figure this might be a good fit for my keezer, as it'll only ever need to cool, not heat
Saw that a couple weeks ago.. I couldn't tell - not sure what "LOCK SW" (port 5&6) means. It's also 5A, as opposed to 10A, which I guess means a lower maximum power output? Can this lead to a device overdrawing? I think the highest draw I've seen from my fridge is ~350W, but perhaps they're capable of 2400W?

But yeah.. not sure about that one.

Ahhh, didn't notice the lower amp rating
i might just stop being cheap and buy the usual model that everyone uses

2 STC-1000's ordered
This is the one I ended up going with http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-220V-STC-1000-All-Purpose-AU-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Sensor-/360837379326?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item54039574fe&_uhb=1
Was the cheapest one I could see
1 is going into the control box for my new HLT and the other will be controlling my keezer
Haven't decided whether to mount the keezer one on top of the keezer or to cut a hole hole through the access panel for the compressor and mount it through there

sp0rk said:
Thought this might interest some people
someone's developed an open source firmware for the STC-1000, which is flashable via arduino
http://hackaday.com/2014/03/15/temperature-controller-gets-open-source-firmware-upgrade/
Still in Beta stage, though

Gives you similar sorts of controls as a PID controller by the looks of it
That's really cool, I'll follow the progress of this from it's Beta development on the forum.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the manufacturers of the STC-1000 started selling it with the new Open Source software embedded :D

I was looking at getting an arduino uno anyway, so this might make for a cheap controller for a HERMS...

Latest posts

Back