Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently using the cut up stubbie cooler trick + a standard digital thermometer attach to the side of the fridge using thermo tape. I have noticed during this experiment that the difference in temp between the two is anywhere from 2℃ to 3℃

1414116914717.jpg

1414116929977.jpg

BottloBill said:
Currently using the cut up stubbie cooler trick + a standard digital thermometer attach to the side of the fridge using thermo tape. I have noticed during this experiment that the difference in temp between the two is anywhere from 2℃ to 3℃
Which one have you found is hotter than the other?

Not trying to throw the thread away from the stc 1000.

But look into Brewpi for your fermentation fridge. Best thing i ever did

Holds to within .1 degree. Very impressive

Neo__04 said:
Not trying to throw the thread away from the stc 1000.

But look into Brewpi for your fermentation fridge. Best thing i ever did

Holds to within .1 degree. Very impressive
I looked at that and would have gone that way except for the fact that they have designed the system to have an air heater (light bulb or whatever) in the fridge rather than a heat mat/belt on the fermenter itself which I do now. They warn it doesn't work if the fermenter is heated directly rather than the air in the chamber. Seems like kind of a bass ackwards design assumption to me. Otherwise it looks awesome, I glad wrap and I'd started thinking about how to mount a camera in the fridge for remote visual inspection and everything.

beerdrinkingbob said:
This diagram made the most sense to me, although diagram is a little on the rough side for some reason I was able to follow it easier.

and this is the thread

Good luck mate, it's not hard once you find the right picture that meshes with you brain the best!!
Yeah, that's the diagram that worked for me too :)

Yeah the brewpi is designed around controlling the air temp in the fridge. Very accurate though.

I use a heat mat in the shelf below the fermentor.

Just checked the graphs, varied less than .1 degrees in the last 4 days

welly2 said:
welly2, are you saying that inside your fridge it heats up 5°C in three minutes? That's a very rapid change in temp insied an insulated enclosure. Where exactly is your sensor sitting?
It was a bit of an unscientific test where I just chucked the sensor into the fridge (which is empty) on its own. I'm going to fill up a fermenter with water this weekend, attach the sensor to it as you would do normally and test it a bit more properly.
Have you checked if there is much of a gap in the fridge door seal due to the the probe cable (assuming you've just closed the fridge door over it) - a small gap can make a big difference on how quickly heat will leak in to the fridge (especially in your environment).

I've made a little foam ramp for surrounding cables passing between the seal and wall of my fridge as shown in the attached pix to give a smooth profile for the fridge seal to go over.

I used scrap nitrile foam to make mine - a bit small and fiddly but I find this makes a big difference to how often the fridge has to cool or turn on the heat belt by sealing off the gaps (even though they're small).

[zoom]

MaltyHops said:
Have you checked if there is much of a gap in the fridge door seal due to the the probe cable (assuming you've just closed the fridge door over it) - a small gap can make a big difference on how quickly heat will leak in to the fridge (especially in your environment).

I've made a little foam ramp for surrounding cables passing between the seal and wall of my fridge as shown in the attached pix to give a smooth profile for the fridge seal to go over.

I used scrap nitrile foam to make mine - a bit small and fiddly but I find this makes a big difference to how often the fridge has to cool or turn on the heat belt by sealing off the gaps (even though they're small).
I ran a test this weekend with the fermenter full of water and I taped the sensor probe onto the side of the fermenter covered by a bit of cut up stubby holder. It's been rock solid at 19.1C all weekend so I think that's that ticked off the "to do" list.

decided to use the damn thing anyway, just cause it can't heat don't mean it ain't useful. just want it to control a fridge in reality.

remind me to take careful note of point 3 in 'matters needing attention' of the instructions.

(word for word)
'warm controls the main engine not to be able to install in has the water drop, the old person, the child tentacle may and the place.'

Contact the seller, probably sent wrong one, these places quite often stock several similar models.

yum beer said:
Contact the seller, probably sent wrong one, these places quite often stock several similar models.
a close look at the photos shows its the AT8001, they are simply lieing about what they are selling.
started the email to-fro anyway.
'oh so sorry we send wrong one, please send photo..'

still shows heat and cool, so no mater what they sent wrong item.

Stonemull said:
(word for word)
'warm controls the main engine not to be able to install in has the water drop, the old person, the child tentacle may and the place.'
OT:

My cousin worked for an electrical company many years ago editing all of the "translated" instruction manuals for the various products that come into Australia (teles, stereos, microwaves etc). She still has a book somewhere with all here favourites.

My favourite was "small children should not be cooked in this appliance, not appropriate appliance for such cooking"

JD

JDW81 said:
OT:

My cousin worked for an electrical company many years ago editing all of the "translated" instruction manuals for the various products that come into Australia (teles, stereos, microwaves etc). She still has a book somewhere with all here favourites.

My favourite was "small children should not be cooked in this appliance, not appropriate appliance for such cooking"

JD
OT, but I'm building a wfo, just thought I might fit my kids in...

IMG_3754.jpg

Back OT, just found these @ 10 $US
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-STC-1000-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-W-Sensor-AC-220V-/361092319799?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160

$11.60 aus with free postage.

Not expecting to see them for a month, but the seller has mostly positive feedback.

Latest posts

Back