Stc 1000 Dual Temperature Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he means the left or right side of the heat or cool screw down terminals on the STC.

which side direction you run through does not matter
True and I was hoping this is what he meant just couldn't open his photobucket link to the diagram.
My point is still valid though, don't mix active and neutral. B)

with the exception that the brown wire from the female connections from the fridge and heater go to the left connection point instead of the right. i don't think this makes a difference though as it is AC

Usually the active from the power supply will go on the side without the switch, otherwise the actual switching mechanism will always be live.

So as you look at it from the back the power supply will go on the right and the fridge and heater will go on the left, as you have done.

I think he means the left or right side of the heat or cool screw down terminals on the STC.

which side direction you run through does not matter

stux, correct, this is what i mean

lol at the comment by forbesy 'with a sparky mate' and 'i would recommend getting an electrician to do it for you so you are 100% legal and safe'
Then you look at the plugs cut of an extension cord and not being too sure about reading the wiring diagram, then not being sure about that brown wire hookup difference.
I'm taking a guess there was no qualified sparky present.

Set mine up today. Built it into a baking tin from woolies which actually looks pretty reasonable. I did the flying octopuss creature version as I couldn't find suitable plugs without going to jaycar which is further than I wanted to go. I should get a star washer for the grounds to get it to meet standards when I find one laying around. I need an isolated terminal so that I can connect some extra wires to get the heating working but I won't need that for a while.

the cost of the extras were

$7 baking tin
1 bolt and nut for the grounding($0.20 ish)
2x2m extension chords (2x$3)
4 grommets ($1ish)
3 ring terminals for the grounds (1.20ish)

aside from the baking tin and the extension chords I had most of it laying around.

=15.40 + 20.something for the unit. not bad and seems to be working well.

Don't get me wrong as I am no sparky or electrical expert and stand to be corrected. However, I really thought the jiffy boxes were made from plastic, or other nonconductive product, for a reason??.. and for less than $7.
electrocution01_blue.gif

the baking tray worries me too... aint they metal usually? :blink:

electric and metal... shouldnt come together in the same converstaion unless we is talkin music.

good luck with this one

Capture.JPG

Don't get me wrong as I am no sparky or electrical expert and stand to be corrected. However, I really thought the jiffy boxes were made from plastic, or other nonconductive product, for a reason??.. and for less than $7.
electrocution01_blue.gif

the baking tray worries me too... aint they metal usually? :blink:

electric and metal... shouldnt come together in the same converstaion unless we is talkin music.

good luck with this one

View attachment 51869

I'm no qualified sparky either,

But a non earthed device MUST be insulated, otherwise your potentially up for a Darwin award

QldKev

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this comment but if you think it makes no difference which way you wire a plug or socket in AC situations then good luck!
The wires are a different colour for a reason, brown for active , blue for neutral. Get it right or you will have current where you least expect it.
Your sparky mate should know this...

Seeing as my words are not too clear, hopefully this diagram clarifies things. As the current is AC there is no polarity as such - the current swings back and forward so if it is just a simple switch between connections 5 & 6 and 7 & 8 then it should not matter if the wires are swapped around per the attached diagram.

STC_1000_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

anyone know why they don't sell these already wired up?

Australian Safety Standard, C-Tick thing?

I wonder how much cost this would add to the unit... must be a lot if nobody is selling them, good to go.

anyone know why they don't sell these already wired up?

Australian Safety Standard, C-Tick thing?

I wonder how much cost this would add to the unit... must be a lot if nobody is selling them, good to go.

There was someone on Ebay buying and wiring them for resale (legit or not I have no idea). I believe he/she still is but I don't have the link at hand sorry. They were pretty expensive imo and would be a lot cheap/safer to purchase a temp controller from Keg King if you are not able to get one wired yourself.

As the current is AC there is no polarity as such

Can I simply say your understanding is very basic. Both ac and dc electrical current is dangerous. There is much more to the domestic single phase MEN power system.

Seeing as my words are not too clear, hopefully this diagram clarifies things.

it should not matter if the wires are swapped around per the attached diagram.

View attachment 52059

You are correct A switched active is still a switched active no matter which side of the switch contacts you connect the wires to. In your diagram you have correctly wired the correct coloured wires from the supply to each load/device via the switch contacts of the STC-1000

Australian equipment wiring (such as power cords on equipment)
Current colour code (single phase):
Active - Brown
Neutral - Light Blue
Earth - Green/Yellow

Old colour code (single phase)
Active - Red
Neutral - Black
Earth - Green

Don't confuse the Red and Brown you could end up Black and Blue

HOWEVER:
Most electricians would test out the wiring using a meter to correctly identify Active and Neutral, never trust colour coding of home brewed circuits. It the GPO has been installed by a licensed electrical contractor and the plug and lead (wiring into the unit) are factory then up to there the colour code should be correct.

Use an electrician/electrical contractor

Screwy

Hey guys, I don't seam to be able to find an STC-1000 on ebay and now, after reading this i'm not sure I want one...I'm not a sparky and don't know any.

I have however, in my searching found quite a few others. This one appears to be all wired up and ready to go...plug n play.

CLICK HERE

Are there any comments (pos/neg) you guys could pass on to me before I purchase this unit?

Much appreciated,
Marty.

Back