Stc 1000 Dual Temperature Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalpets

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the above controller in hand but after numerous enquiries to electrical & refrigeration trades people none are prepared to install it in my fermentation fridge. Two of which even turned up & walked away from the job saying they do not do that sort of stuff. I'm in Adelaide, SA.

So I'm sort of left in the lurch unless I can get some help from this forum to wire it myself.

I'm reasonably handy and appreciate that I need to exercise reasonable care when working with power but I would like some step by step instructions, if possible, to wire the unit into my fermentation fridge. I realize, of course the usual liability disclaimer that would necessarily come with such advice. So, if you can help me please do & it will be appreciated particularly after being messed around by the trades for weeks on end.

A couple of specific issues that I would like advice on are as follows.

* Is this controller compatible with most compressors & specifically my early model Fisher & Paykel fridge which has compressor specs of 1HP & 0.71 amps?.

* Does the wiring to the existing thermostat need to be disabled & reconnected to the cooling output of the controller. I don't know what the wiring looks like in there & I anticipate I would need some help on that score. The heater side seems straight forward enough except for the polarity issue mentioned below.

* It appears that the sensor has to be connected to outputs 3 & 4 in the correct way. How do I know which way to connect it? (NTC sensor 304 SS 200mm x9mm)

* outputs 5/6 (heating) & 7/8 (cooling) appear to need to be connected with correct polarity. Which is the correct way?

I would be really stoked if I could get some help on this.

Thanks
dalpets

Might be worth while having a read through this section of a previous thread. It give you an idea of what you will end up with in the end.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...mp;#entry616337

Im currently working through wiring mine up using a similar setup and cant see too many dramas. Just respect the 240v, if you get it done by a sparky it may help you sleep easier at night.

I have the above controller in hand but after numerous enquiries to electrical & refrigeration trades people none are prepared to install it in my fermentation fridge. Two of which even turned up & walked away from the job saying they do not do that sort of stuff. I'm in Adelaide, SA.
Some tradesmen don't like to work outside the square. I'm sure if you persisted you would find someone. Maybe a TV repair guy or similiar. Maybe you should take the wiring diagram that comes with the unit to someone like that.

* Is this controller compatible with most compressors & specifically my early model Fisher & Paykel fridge which has compressor specs of 1HP & 0.71 amps?.
The outputs are good for 10A from memory, so your fridge will be fine for this controller.

* Does the wiring to the existing thermostat need to be disabled & reconnected to the cooling output of the controller. I don't know what the wiring looks like in there & I anticipate I would need some help on that score.
If the fridge is running normally now, then don't touch the fridge wiring at all. The fridge will plug into your "cooling" outlet on the controller.

The heater side seems straight forward enough except for the polarity issue mentioned below.
* outputs 5/6 (heating) & 7/8 (cooling) appear to need to be connected with correct polarity. Which is the correct way?
There are no polarity issues as far as coming "in" on one terminal and "out" on the other. However, it is good practice to switch the active lines rather than the neutrals. A smart sparkie should know this.

* It appears that the sensor has to be connected to outputs 3 & 4 in the correct way. How do I know which way to connect it? (NTC sensor 304 SS 200mm x9mm)
The sensor doesn't have a particular polarity either.

Good luck, but I advise you, look further for a tradesman rather than doing yourself. This isn't like home plumbing, where the worst that can happen is a leaking tap. This little unit can kill you, your family or your friends if you get the smallest thing wrong.

If the fridge is running normally now, then don't touch the fridge wiring at all. The fridge will plug into your "cooling" outlet on the controller.

I'm having trouble getting my head around this comment.

If you install & connect an external temperature controller to a fermenter refrigerator why does the pre existing thermostat & its circuitry not have to be disabled. Aren't they working against each other?.

Moreover, if it IS left connected does it have to be set to maximum/minimum cooling or neither.

Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Thanks

You do not need to disconnect the fridge's existing circuitry. Simply put the fridge thermostat at max cold, plug it into the external controller and the controller will regulate temperature.

The fridgemate/stc thermostat regulates the electricity to the fridge. So when the fridgemate reaches it's desired temp, it turns the power off to the fridge completely, and then it enables the power again when it wants the fridge to turn on.

If you disabled the thermostat in the fridge it might not want to run at all.

The fridge won't be working at odds with your controller, at the temperatures you set for fermentation your fridge will want to run all the time (it's own thermostat will never kick in and switch off).

It won't matter whether your fridge is set to minimum or maximum, at the temperatures you set for fermentation your fridge will want to be running all the time (ie: even the fridge's warmest setting will be cooler than whatever you set for fermentation)

I think the other responses should have clarified it for you, but I'll word it another way

The thermostat in the fridge is set to something like 2 or 4 degrees.

The STC-1000 is put inline with the power cord to feed the fridge. This will switch off the power to the fridge when it hits your setting, eg 18 degreees. The same as if you walked up to the fridge and switched off the power point to the fridge. And then it will switch back on at the preset temperature eg 19. Same as if you manually switched back on the power point.

QldKev

Thanks guys, thus far you have been very helpful in setting me straight.

I have another issue that is causing me some concern & hopefully you can allay that concern, specifically with regard to the STC-1000 (Brewmate dual controller). Perhaps this concern & my question is one that only someone qualified in refrigeration & electronics can answer with surety.

It has been put to me outside this forum (non expert) that it is very possible that this 10 amp controller is not up to specs when it comes to handling the inrush current on my compressor startup. It has been mooted that the controller should be at least a 30 amp rating for this inrush current.

I will be using the controller for fermentation (auto heating & cooling).

The compressor specs of my Fisher & Paykel fridge (model D116LRAA) is 1hp with a load of 0.71amps. There is also a sticker under the door that shows "1.1amps, class4" I'm not sure if the last menioned has any bearing.

I would really like to be confident that mating the aforementioned equipment together is within acceptable parameters & is thus not going to result in a major untoward event.

Thanks again

It has been put to me outside this forum (non expert) that it is very possible that this 10 amp controller is not up to specs when it comes to handling the inrush current on my compressor startup. It has been mooted that the controller should be at least a 30 amp rating for this inrush current.
I haven't used mine yet to control a fridge, but many many people here do.
I have never seen anyone complaining.

It's always good to be on the cautious side, especially when electricity is involved, but the fact that almost every serious brewer uses one or the other temp control device - some of them for years - and without any issues whatsoever, plus the fact that some of these devices (fridgemate, tempmate etc.) are solely produced for this purpose, should hopefully be enough to put your mind at ease.

Florian

I have 2 STC-1000 control units running 2 fridges in my garage, the cool side has the fridge plugged in and the heat side has a submersible heater (in my fermenting wort) plugged into it.

The breakers on the main circuit board in the garage are 16 amp (yours are probably 16 amp too) and I've never had one of them trip. I think that if you needed a 30 amp rating on the unit because of the current drawn by the fridge compressor on start
up you would probably be tripping the 16 amp circuit breaker.

I don't think you'd have to much of a problem with the units over-heating, catching fire or anything, the circuit breaker should trip first if anything were to go wrong, probably more chance of electrocuting yourself while wiring it up wrong. I'm not a sparky and I double and triple checked the wiring before plugging in and switching on. I haven't had any issues.

Thanks peakydh.

Obviously one can't be too careful when dealing with electricity. In any event I will have a qualified electronics guy check my wiring before I attempt to fire it up.

I'm probably reading too much into this, but other than the tripping of the house circuit board scenario what happens if the current compressor startup load is greater than the 10 amps rating of the solid state relay but less than the tripping current. Are the relay(s) liable to melt and/or catch fire?.

It's encouraging to know that your setup works without a hiccup but there again I don't know what your compressor specs are.

Thanks peakydh.

Obviously one can't be too careful when dealing with electricity. In any event I will have a qualified electronics guy check my wiring before I attempt to fire it up.

I'm probably reading too much into this, but other than the tripping of the house circuit board scenario what happens if the current compressor startup load is greater than the 10 amps rating of the solid state relay but less than the tripping current. Are the relay(s) liable to melt and/or catch fire?.

It's encouraging to know that your setup works without a hiccup but there again I don't know what your compressor specs are.

If your fridge has information stating 1.1 amps, I really don't think it will melt a 10 amp relay.

The concern you mentioned earlier is that when the compressor initially starts the motor will draw extra current until it gets up to speed. A few seconds at the most. I don't think it will draw higher than 10 amps even then. However, with all of that said, the 10 amps rating on the relay is a constant draw rating, not a peak spike rating. In other words, you should be able to put 10 amps continuasly through the relay switching contacts.

I think that the units rating is the least of your concerns. Please make sure you have somebody check your wiring if you do this yourself.

I have something similar to this controller that I wired myself for my fermentation (chest freezer). I have some electrical background and completely understood what I was doing and why the wiring should be a certain way. Sometimes it is better to have a complete understanding of what you are doing, rather than just follow instructions from DIYers on a forum (even though there is great advice on here, on less risky subjects). Please take care, as other have said electricity is fatal. Your life and others around you is not worth saving $100 bucks on a qualified sparkie.

Cheers mate... :beer:

Thanks everybody for your help & advice. As I have said previously I will have a qualified electronics guy I know check my wiring before I attempt to fire it up.

cheers
dalpets

I found the below link which says that the wiring shown for the STC1000 was done in the presence of a qualified electrician, but it clearly indicates that it is subject to a safety disclaimer & the safety recommendations therein.

It may be of value to others in this forum but be aware that it is would be very wise to have a qualified electrician check any DIY wiring before connecting it to a live circuit. A miswiring could cost you or others their life and we don't want that to happen.

http://urowiki.filecore.net/index.php/Ther...ital_thermostat

thought i'd post my experience here as when i got mine in the mail was really confused with their crap wiring diagram. I have just finished wiring and boxing mine up with my sparky mate and tested it for both heating and cooling and it works. i would recommend getting an electrician to do it for you so you are 100% legal and safe.

this is what the finished product looks like ->
front - http://www.flickr.com/photos/74933001@N06/...in/photostream/
back - http://www.flickr.com/photos/74933001@N06/...in/photostream/

some progress pics:
just before box up - http://www.flickr.com/photos/74933001@N06/...in/photostream/
without box - http://www.flickr.com/photos/74933001@N06/6741424473/

i basically followed this wiring diagram (thanks!) -> http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=37080
it is pretty much the same as this one (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/213/stc1000wiringv2.png/sr=1, http://media.photobucket.com/image/stc%201...10/stc1000.png), with the exception that the brown wire from the female connections from the fridge and heater go to the left connection point instead of the right. i don't think this makes a difference though as it is AC

here is my printed out coloured in copy so I can interpret a little more clearly (can't read the tiny writing with my dodgy eyes) ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74933001@N06/...in/photostream/

to cut the square hole i drilled a whole pile of small holes then filed it out. certainly not the most efficient way but worked okay. i only had small files but would have some larger ones on hand if i did it again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74933001@N06/6741421195/

to cut the round holes i just used a hole saw which was pretty straight forward

i used cable ties on the inside of the box around cords etc to try and hol them in place which i didn't do a really good job of so it still feels a little home made when plugging and unplugging devices.

when i screwed on the lid to the project box i used a power drill which was a big mistake - 2 of the screws went straight through so i had to superglue 2 corners down. doh!

equipment used:
stc 1000 from ebay - ~$20
extension cord - $7
female power plug from bunnings ~$5
wire stripper borrowed from mate but cost ~$9 from bunnings
already had a power drill and drill bits
set of small files from bunnings ~$9
hole saw set of 6 pieces + drill bit attachment ~$30
project box from jaycar -~$10
no1 size phillips and flathead screwdrivers which i already had

fyi - copy of instructions for stc 1000 - http://www.rise.com.hk/ebayproducts/manual...roller_mini.pdf

i'm pretty pumped for my next brew!

forbesy

with the exception that the brown wire from the female connections from the fridge and heater go to the left connection point instead of the right. i don't think this makes a difference though as it is AC
forbesy

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this comment but if you think it makes no difference which way you wire a plug or socket in AC situations then good luck!
The wires are a different colour for a reason, brown for active , blue for neutral. Get it right or you will have current where you least expect it.
Your sparky mate should know this...

Set mine up today. Built it into a baking tin from woolies which actually looks pretty reasonable. I did the flying octopuss creature version as I couldn't find suitable plugs without going to jaycar which is further than I wanted to go. I should get a star washer for the grounds to get it to meet standards when I find one laying around. I need an isolated terminal so that I can connect some extra wires to get the heating working but I won't need that for a while.

the cost of the extras were

$7 baking tin
1 bolt and nut for the grounding($0.20 ish)
2x2m extension chords (2x$3)
4 grommets ($1ish)
3 ring terminals for the grounds (1.20ish)

aside from the baking tin and the extension chords I had most of it laying around.

=15.40 + 20.something for the unit. not bad and seems to be working well.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this comment but if you think it makes no difference which way you wire a plug or socket in AC situations then good luck!
The wires are a different colour for a reason, brown for active , blue for neutral. Get it right or you will have current where you least expect it.
Your sparky mate should know this...

I think he means the left or right side of the heat or cool screw down terminals on the STC.

which side direction you run through does not matter

Back