Start up research help: Lock down idea - A pre-made yeast starter that saves the environment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Propper Yeast I'm sure you have seen we can be a bit of a tough crowd to please. Hopefully you can find some actionable feedback in it all and bring a good product to market. Keep us posted on your progress.

Land rights for gay whales, if you're "woke" enough you'll pay silly money. Really! $5 a can MAX!
I honestly can't decide whether you're havin a lend or just takin the piss. (one is with intent the other is without)

Nice to vent but worth noting that "Proper Yeast" hasn’t even logged in for since the middle of last month (2 days after the OP) so he clearly doesn’t really care what AHB'ers think.

Mark

Nice to vent but worth noting that "Proper Yeast" hasn’t even logged in for since the middle of last month (2 days after the OP) so he clearly doesn’t really care what AHB'ers think.

Mark
I predict that they won't be coming back...
Just like Williams Wank et al

"Rehydrator that's also Carbon Neutral and offsets all the co2 your homebrew will produce. " Huh?

Propper, CO2 released during brewing is part of the carbon cycle and, since it comes from carbon in food sugars, is destined to soon return to the atmosphere from which it came a season or so ago. It doesn't matter whether you eat the grain or mash it and feed the spent grains to the chooks or compost heap. Carbon emissions are an issue when they come from fossil fuels, i.e., carbon sequestered aeons ago.

Canned starter? No, for all the reasons others gave above.

... also Carbon Neutral and offsets all the co2 your homebrew will produce. Is there a market for this? Would you buy this?

I think you're already getting a lot of no based on price. But my 2c worth...

The carbon offset - it's a nice hook for the age we live in - but not so fast. First you'd need to show me how much CO2 me making a brew would emit. You'd need to show me some kind of certification for your CO2 offsets. You may have all of this sorted, but a lot of consumers won't believe it until they see it.

For us professional cynics out there, is reducing the CO2 footprint of making our own brew going to save the planet? I'd guess (order of magnitude here - good enough - has anyone bothered doing this?) 5 kg CO2 for a 20L batch, using LPG to heat, including fermentation CO2. Now make a comparison with all of the other things we do on a daily basis. 20km in the ute or SUV = 5kg. A day's grid electricity consumption in the average home 10-20 kg CO2 (OK, in Tassie with all that hydro, a lot less). A 250g steak, about 5kg. Drinking 20L of packaged beer that's been imported from the USA or Europe, about 15kg in shipping emissions alone. If I ever worry about my carbon footprint, brewing is last on the list. I can more than offset my brewing by consuming less of other things.

Latest posts

Back