Stainless Steel Strainer For Biab 92litre Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastdrinks

Reaction score
Hoping someone can give me some direction on getting a stainless steel mesh cylinder with handle made up. I want to use it for my BIAB mashes in my 92litre pot. I plan to hook it up to a pulley and runner system to get it out of the pot. does anyone know of any good fabricators in Melbourne that would do a job like this? I take it steel type 316 is the preferred stainless to use?

I've found this company that sell the mesh i would use but i dont have the skills to weld something together. http://www.metalmesh.com.au/cfm/index.cfm

316 is the go. Often the company selling the mesh will know the local fabricators - you can always ask them to recommend one if you draw a blank on this forum.

Hoping someone can give me some direction on getting a stainless steel mesh cylinder with handle made up. I want to use it for my BIAB mashes in my 92litre pot. I plan to hook it up to a pulley and runner system to get it out of the pot. does anyone know of any good fabricators in Melbourne that would do a job like this? I take it steel type 316 is the preferred stainless to use?

I've found this company that sell the mesh i would use but i dont have the skills to weld something together. http://www.metalmesh.com.au/cfm/index.cfm
I was looking at the metalmesh site a few weeks ago and I think they custom fab cylinder baskets and stuff like that.

This is cut and pasted from the link you you posted for metalmesh.

Pieces can be cut to size, purchased by length, punched into discs, and made into cylinders, screens and sieves or custom fabricated.

Would suggest giving them a call with the size that you require.

geordi (www.geordi.com.au) would do it for you. I was recently looking into getting a small mesh basket made by these guys. I think the mesh openings were 415 micron or so and i was going to cost about $400 (it had some other details which no doubt added to the cost). That was for a cylinder with about 1.5L volume. They said mesh was very difficult and time consuming to weld hence the cost. You might be better off getting a basket made of perforated stainless and lining it with your standard BIAB bag. Its worth getting a quote though. Here's the page with all the details about their perforated stainless mesh and woven mesh sizes http://www.geordi.com.au/Technical.htm. They do very good work there but as its all custom jobs you do pay for it. Let us all know how you go

Hey lastdrinks, check out the link below from zizzle, he's pretty much done the same thing. The strainer looks very reliable.

Zizzle's strainer

Hi
There's a shop in Clayton Melbourne that sells ready made one's, they have 2 size's the larger one may be big enough for you. The shop used to be called cellar plus but it has just changed names, It's on the corner of Wellington Rd and Sarton Rd Clayton.
Cheers Mario

After looking into it some more i've decided to go with a bag and a pulley. Having someone fabricate one is expensive and i am too lazy and have too many other jobs to get done.

Have done some searching on this site and asked a few friends who are more mechanical than me but cant come up with a picture in my mind of how to setup the pulley to be on a swing arm or ballbearing track system. My BIAB setup is quite high so i would like to be able to move the full bag, after it has drained, away from the pot. Was thinking old server rack rails or something. Has anyone done this before? I am hoping someone has come up with an ingeniously simple design. I am not the engineering genius many people on this site seem to be.

thanks

After looking into it some more i've decided to go with a bag and a pulley. Having someone fabricate one is expensive and i am too lazy and have too many other jobs to get done.

Have done some searching on this site and asked a few friends who are more mechanical than me but cant come up with a picture in my mind of how to setup the pulley to be on a swing arm or ballbearing track system. My BIAB setup is quite high so i would like to be able to move the full bag, after it has drained, away from the pot. Was thinking old server rack rails or something. Has anyone done this before? I am hoping someone has come up with an ingeniously simple design. I am not the engineering genius many people on this site seem to be.

thanks

Put another sky-hook away from the pot...

when you want to swing the bag away, swing it away, and hook the line around the other hook

is it too simple to get a HDPE bucket that fits the mash pot and drill / cut heaps of holes in it and just line it with a bag or mesh ?
make the handle a bit stronger and hoist it out ?

even one with the majority cut or drilled out would most likely have enough strength

something like one of those "handy pails" bunnings / BCF or a LHBS fermenter bucket

Frame for lifting the bag is made out of pipe and swings on Larger pipe welded to stand.
So when u r finished just hoist the bag up and swing to the side, for tripples I then lower the cage and bag down into a wheel Barrow.

If I do a single I use a 50 ltr pot and take the spreader off the hoist and replace with a hook.

010_small.jpg011_small.jpg[attachment=4567
9:011_small.jpg]013_small.jpg

Here's a shot of the frame I sit the bag in. Just made out of 316 rod (quite cheap) and some 316 mesh scabbed from a local irrigation supply business. Takes all the weight off the bag.

014.JPG

You could drill a hole in the bottom of your pot and use a conventional "drain". Not sure why you would want to go the extra steps for BIAB?
gf

You could drill a hole in the bottom of your pot and use a conventional "drain". Not sure why you would want to go the extra steps for BIAB?
gf

you've missed the point of BIAB gf

a 'conventional' drain involves an additional vessel, and possibly another

Yeah, know what you mean Cocko. Thought BIAB was all about simple - seems none of us really want simple ;)

Sorry B&T, deleted my post as I thought I was being a smart arse! Don't won't to knock BIAB as it gained me my stripes!

EDIT: Homebrewing: An expensive way to make cheap beer! What a slippery slope...

You can use the tracks and rollers from a sliding door as a gantry for sliding your bag away from your pot. Its not like even the bag from a 90+ L mash is actually very heavy, so something designed to hold up the weight of a solid timber door would handle it easily.

Spillsmostofit has a gantry (made from sliding door rails IIRC) that runs from over his pot directly to his sink - once its stopped dripping, he gives his bag a nudge and it slides across the brewery to the spot where he cleans it out. Do a search for his posts and he might have posted a picture. Think it cost him $20 or some other ridiculously low sum to put together.

Thanks Thirsty Boy, that's what i was after. I knew there would be some sliding mechanism I could take from another application.

You can use the tracks and rollers from a sliding door as a gantry for sliding your bag away from your pot. Its not like even the bag from a 90+ L mash is actually very heavy, so something designed to hold up the weight of a solid timber door would handle it easily.

Spillsmostofit has a gantry (made from sliding door rails IIRC) that runs from over his pot directly to his sink - once its stopped dripping, he gives his bag a nudge and it slides across the brewery to the spot where he cleans it out. Do a search for his posts and he might have posted a picture. Think it cost him $20 or some other ridiculously low sum to put together.

Latest posts

Back