Stainless Herms Coil Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how good are these things, 63 of the total post count of 178 (35%) from WA. To be expected I guess, but 42 of these (66%) posts are from Gryphon Brewing.

Anyone using one care to comment on the performance.

Screwy
I must apologise for answering peoples questions and adding product support. You are obviously still a grumpy old *******. :lol:
Nev

Nev ...

That is some sexy Bling ... does Jen make up any part of the inspiration or is it Miranda ???

You are a biatch for those girls and JYo has admitted much love for you.. Just saying ...

I had a wicked time tonight in corporate box ... at the NRL game at NIB stadium ... yes it was awesome .. shit refs but ...love rugby league almost as much as union ... tomorrow ... I am off fishing ... :)

and after ... dull mans beer goes down ... sad but true ... yes modified the shit outa the recipe ... but still feel cheap .... again JYO knows how I feel ..

look forward to the build next month ...

:)

Screwy, I will be able to let you know how it goes after tommorrows brew. I have replaced my dodgy copper coil with this one.

Cheers

Thanks Brad,

After the last upgrade the only copper in the system is the HERMS coil, looking to move to SS.

Screwy

Nev ...

That is some sexy Bling ... does Jen make up any part of the inspiration or is it Miranda ???

You are a biatch for those girls and JYo has admitted much love for you.. Just saying ...

I had a wicked time tonight in corporate box ... at the NRL game at NIB stadium ... yes it was awesome .. shit refs but ...love rugby league almost as much as union ... tomorrow ... I am off fishing ... :)

and after ... dull mans beer goes down ... sad but true ... yes modified the shit outa the recipe ... but still feel cheap .... again JYO knows how I feel ..

look forward to the build next month ...

:)

hey were was my invite fishing????

Thanks Brad,

After the last upgrade the only copper in the system is the HERMS coil, looking to move to SS.

Screwy

Let me start by saying I did not use the coil in the style of system it was designed for. I found that when I put it in my 6L urn my ramp times where pathetic, it took 30min to get from 62 to 78. Having said that when it was at temp and recirculating it worked fine. So it is hard to say whether it was the coil or the urn, I am leaning strongly towards the urn.

Tommorrow I will put the coil in a spare kettle I have and see how it handles the ramping.

All in all a top bit of kit and definately well worth the $ IMO.

Cheers

Let me start by saying I did not use the coil in the style of system it was designed for. I found that when I put it in my 6L urn my ramp times where pathetic, it took 30min to get from 62 to 78. Having said that when it was at temp and recirculating it worked fine. So it is hard to say whether it was the coil or the urn, I am leaning strongly towards the urn.

Tommorrow I will put the coil in a spare kettle I have and see how it handles the ramping.

All in all a top bit of kit and definately well worth the $ IMO.

Cheers
I would expect your results in a large volume of liquid.The coil is designed for 1.7 l kettle hence its fast heat ramp time and power efficiency.
You have kind of stuck into a swimming pool, so dont expect it to work well under these situations.
Go the kettle and you will see how well it performs.
Nev

I would expect your results in a large volume of liquid.The coil is designed for 1.7 l kettle hence its fast heat ramp time and power efficiency.
You have kind of stuck into a swimming pool, so dont expect it to work well under these situations.
Go the kettle and you will see how well it performs.
Nev

Yep Nev you are right. I tried to state that it was the way I set it up not the coil. As I was brewing today I thought how good it would be to have it in the kettle.

cheers

Brad - my ramp times are at least equal to, most proberly better, than my 3 ring burner gas setup i used for BIAB. Never used the kettle but the rocket is basically the same thing.
Hope it goes well tomorrow.
Cheers
BBB

Cannot tell you how well the Keg King 2200W element through the middle of the coil works in my HERMIT.

Thanks Nev for a great idea and an easy build.

Doing my first brew on it tomorrow, will update the thread with results.

All testing today was extremely positive.

HIGHLY recommend this to any aspiring HERMS brewers.

Living on the edge KBB - I like it. A king keg rod will be serious heat - I'm using one in my kettle, thinking of thowing another one in for big batches.
With the hermit controller it is a serious unit that will not disappoint ... no affiliation blah blah but I would like one <_<
Cheers
BBB

What wattage is the element in the urn? There are some out there that are only 800W or so - which sucks for this job.

Good point about ramp time

Nev any exp using the kettle element on a double batch, say 45L

No problems with element in the HX or just in the store bought kettle. It will do 45L easy.
Nev
Sweet. Well just waiting foe elements to arrive. Quick trip to bunnings today and we r in business.

Cheers nev

Hi Fellas

Here's my attempt

Ended up sticking it into a kettle

Holes through the lid

Used 1/2" SS compression fittings with nylon olives, also wrapped some teflon tape around the pipe to sure up the seal

Also stuck on camlocks

No leaks during a test with 10-15L in the mash tun, it brought it from ~20*C to ~80*C pretty quickly without issue

Does it matter which way the wort travels through the coil ie to the bottom and up the coil or down the coil and up the straight?

Cheers

Edit: Sorry about the crappy phone pic, I spend a fortune on camera gear but never get organised to take some proper pictures of my gear...

IMG_0012a.jpg

Hi Fellas

Here's my attempt

Ended up sticking it into a kettle

Holes through the lid

Used 1/2" SS compression fittings with nylon olives, also wrapped some teflon tape around the pipe to sure up the seal

Also stuck on camlocks

No leaks during a test with 10-15L in the mash tun, it brought it from ~20*C to ~80*C pretty quickly without issue

Does it matter which way the wort travels through the coil ie to the bottom and up the coil or down the coil and up the straight?

Cheers

Edit: Sorry about the crappy phone pic, I spend a fortune on camera gear but never get organised to take some proper pictures of my gear...
nice thinking. I suppose utilising the kettle saves you mucking around with making a housing doesn't it. it also saves the ~$45 you would otherwise spend on housing parts.
from looking at your pic it looks like the top of the kettle is partially off. Im guessing thats going to be a potential hazard for you with boiling water being able to escape and potentially burn you or get electrical parts wet, as well as increased evapouration rate (make sure you keep it topped up with water) but other than that, it seems like a good idea.

My kettle has been running with the lid removed for years. The water should never exceed the mash temperature by very much - if it is boiling, there is something wrong. I top up the water in the kettle once per brew, I lose about 15mm to evaporation.

from looking at your pic it looks like the top of the kettle is partially off. Im guessing thats going to be a potential hazard for you with boiling water being able to escape and potentially burn you or get electrical parts wet, as well as increased evapouration rate (make sure you keep it topped up with water) but other than that, it seems like a good idea.
The hoses were pushing to one side due to the makeshift arrangement to test leaking

Will be addressing this before brewing

Cheers

Back