Stainless Herms Coil Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i were going to do that with out a heat gun, I'd put a heavy plated pan on the stove get it good and hot, kill the heat, and use the heated pan as a hot iron, it may take a few goes but you'd get there without bubbling

I think we are ready to roll with a limited release next week. It will be the controller this time !
If I keep waiting for my fittings to arrive I may never get this kit out there. :(
Nev
C'mon Nev - you're killing us!

Tip for young players. If u accidently bump the elwctrical contacts in the kettle element assembly. Test it out before u silicone it all up.... Tested mine. Water tight, no power... Need to rip it all apart now, buy a new kettle and re-silicone it all. Not happy jan. Meanwhile brendo's work perfectly.

if i were going to do that with out a heat gun, I'd put a heavy plated pan on the stove get it good and hot, kill the heat, and use the heated pan as a hot iron, it may take a few goes but you'd get there without bubbling

What about using a hot iron?

You want to flatten a section of PVC right? Maybe an iron on its hottest setting.... With some sortof sheet to protect the iron and keep SWMBO happy

Tip for young players. If u accidently bump the elwctrical contacts in the kettle element assembly. Test it out before u silicone it all up.... Tested mine. Water tight, no power... Need to rip it all apart now, buy a new kettle and re-silicone it all. Not happy jan. Meanwhile brendo's work perfectly.
So you broke the element wire or the plug contact pin ?
Nev

So you broke the element wire or the plug contact pin ?
Nev
Contact pin I think. Just finished pylling it apart. Will get a new jettle today and start again. At least silicone isnt too difficult ti get off pvc

Contact pin I think. Just finished pylling it apart. Will get a new jettle today and start again. At least silicone isnt too difficult ti get off pvc

..And get a new spell checker for your Iphone..... :p :D

Whats wrong with jettle?! & its a galaxy2 thanks.

New kettle pulled apart and siliconed up. Will finish it tonight for water test tomorrow, tgen brew test on sat for collaboration brewday.

I think we are ready to roll with a limited release next week. It will be the controller this time !
If I keep waiting for my fittings to arrive I may never get this kit out there. :(
Nev

Hey Nev, just thought I would remind you. It's next week now. B)

Cheers

Hey Nev, just thought I would remind you. It's next week now. B)

Cheers
Yes I concur
tumblr_m1k50uQx4i1r827plo2_500.jpg

I have in the past fit stainless compression fittings to 12mm tube. Just replace the large ferule with a few silicon o-rings. They compress fine and seal it off nicely. Was never really able to get a proper seal using the metal ferule.

Got the idea form the electric brewery guy who did it for his counterflow chiller. As below;

cb4246a3.jpg

Ill be employing the same method for the coil I bought from Nev. Ive redesigned and broken down the brewery which will have 3 brown pumps, fly sparging, all electric, capable of double batches. Virtually hard plumbed, by way of silicon tube. No changing hoses, only a bunch of ball valves. Ill be using a small urn as I dont rate myself making one of those PVC pipe ones. Got most parts ready with the exception of the urn and may wait for nev's brew controller.

Not sure if you realise Argon, if you were using the compression fitting with both the small olive and big olive, the small olive should be pointing the opposite way to which your picture shows. The narrow edge part of the small olive is jammed into the bigger olive which then compresses onto the tube. If you have the small olive the wrong way around, it won't tighten properly to the big olive, hence, it doesn't seal properly.

Not sure if you realise Argon, if you were using the compression fitting with both the small olive and big olive, the small olive should be pointing the opposite way to which your picture shows. The narrow edge part of the small olive is jammed into the bigger olive which then compresses onto the tube. If you have the small olive the wrong way around, it won't tighten properly to the big olive, hence, it doesn't seal properly.

My understanding why it is used the was in that pic, (where did the pic originally come from?) is that they won't tighten down properly as the compression fitting is a 1/2" BSP, and the pipe is 12mm. Therefore the compression fitting is not designed to compress far enough to grab the smaller pipe, hence the idea to use o-rings. If you kept the ferrule facing the normal way it would dig under the first o-ring, but reverse it give more of a flat surface for it.

QldKev

Yes the ferrule needs to be turned around when using the o-rings. Other wise it will slide under the o-rings and you'll lose a seal. The compression fitting I use on my mash tun (where I have not used the O-rings) is arranged as per your pic and works fine. But I think the SS tube is slightly larger OD than the Herms coil.

No worries, I thought I would throw it out there for people not familiar with double ferrule compression fittings. I think the herms coil is 12mm while standard instrument tubing is 12.7 mm. Thats the size that Swagelok fittings use.

I saw this jug in a motel at the weekend.
Not sure where you can buy them but looks perfect for one of Nev's coils.
Details on the underside photo.

kettle01.jpg
kettle02.jpg
kettle03.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality phone pix.

Latest posts

Back