Stainless Herms Coil Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, motel kettles are like towels, TVs, and the fridge, they expect you to steal them.

Anyone who needs a couple of those high temp silicone washers to seal the compression fittings on their coil, pm me, I have a few left....

Set the temperature for steps without a controller. Wonder how easy getting the coil in there would be...
I had a look at some very similar kettles at Coles just 1/2 an hour ago (it's a Coles-Kmart hybrid type shop) and the opening on some of those shaped kettles is really quite small and it would be difficult/impossible to fit the coil inside them.
The coil is about 10cm wide so just go to Aldi and measure how wide the opening of the kettle is before you buy it. :)

This looks like it would work with the coil really well:
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_21995.htm

Set the temperature for steps without a controller. Wonder how easy getting the coil in there would be...

Unfortunately in a HERMS system the heat exchanger water temperature has little relation to the mash temperature. Unless you could remove the temperature probe and relocate it to the mash....

Hmn good point.

Thanks for the measurements too. I'll keep thinking.

Just wondering (without going back through the whole thread) if anyone is running a stick style element down the guts of their coil. My existing kettle element is mounted in the bottom of my cylindrical heat exchanger and I'm thinking about running a 3600W weldless element straight up through the centre of the coil.
My main concerns are the coil shifting and resting against the element and the fact that my vessel is 300mm deep vs. the 250mm length of the element. Fairly confident it'd work fine but keen to hear from anyone running a similar setup.
Cheers

Thought about converting a fire extinguisher for ages with that very thought in mind.. Didn't get round to it though... Yet

I can only imagine it would make for a much quicker heat transfer and seems like a waste not to use the 15amp outlets near the brewrig.

Sorry for the ancient bump. is anyone using these on large setups?

I am building up a 1V herms system with intentions of brewing up to 120L batches. Would one of these small coils ramp that volume in a reasonable time?

I am building up a 1V herms system with intentions of brewing up to 120L batches. Would one of these small coils ramp that volume in a reasonable time?
Depends on other things as well. The flow rate, hx size and power.

Depends on other things as well. The flow rate, hx size and power.

I have a march 809 pump, HX yet to be built but basically planning on as small as possible to heat it faster, and I should be able to use a 3000-3600W element as I have 15A outlets.

From the horse's (Nev's) mouth...
We have done 100L brews using this coil and the kettle (1800-2000W) element. Ramp is good for 1C per min when controlled properly. This mostly depends on the flow you can achieve thru your false bottom.

I have a march 809 pump, HX yet to be built but basically planning on as small as possible to heat it faster, and I should be able to use a 3000-3600W element as I have 15A outlets.

We use these on our biannual swap brews, 2x hex (@2400w each)2x 200l+ mashes. Ramping can be a long slow process (but it has been done), but will easily maintain. I think the swap rig is now out to 7HL @1070 or something crazy.

We use these on our biannual swap brews, 2x hex (@2400w each)2x 200l+ mashes. Ramping can be a long slow process (but it has been done), but will easily maintain. I think the swap rig is now out to 7HL @1070 or something crazy.

haha I won't be going that extreme!

sounds like it will work. I can also fire up the gas burner to speed up ramp times I guess

Latest posts

Back