Stainless Herms Coil Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my current HX element looks a little dodgy so I thought I try the kettle and the SS coil so ordered last night, hopefully it can ramp for triple (30 -35 ltrs of water in MLT) batches.

cheers
Matt

anyone want to try out John Guest plastic ones

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product...roducts_id=6987

Cheap enough

I've got some s/s fittings coming for the long term setup, but I had already picked up a couple of these JG style from the local caravan shop. (look identical as linked above, about $1 dearer) They grab the s/s pipe no problems. Will hopefully get a brew in this weekend, so will let you know how they go but I don;t think they will be a problem. They even had a brass version of it for just under $10, and also 1/2 BSP female and a right angle version.

QldKev

Where do you get those hose clamp fittings from with the plastic covered wing nut thingys? The ones Nev is using in his picture to connect his silicone hose to the coil?

Bunnings hosing and irrigation section. Colour coded by size.

Keep in mind though, while the clamp is stainless the screw is not and will rust if soaked etc.

Where do you get those hose clamp fittings from with the plastic covered wing nut thingys? The ones Nev is using in his picture to connect his silicone hose to the coil?
u kidding man? big green shed. irragation isle

And here I was thinking I had seen every possible thing at Bunnings that could be used for brewing.

Thanks for that. Will get some tomorrow.

well the last (hopefully) of the siliconing was done last night. water test tonight and brendo's and my rig. looks the goods.

really easy build. tooltards shouldnt have any issues. and if they do, its nothing silicone cant fix!

edit: just need nev to finish the rest of the herms kit (controller and temp probes) so I can get this into action

That reminds me, picked up this at the markets the other morning for $8.
file355.jpg

Removed the spout and the SS coil fits in and will take the 2200W SS element I have which will be mounted on the base. Will get the FIL to knock up an SS lid for it. Just didn't like the idea of potentially melting PVC... YMMV

well the last (hopefully) of the siliconing was done last night. water test tonight and brendo's and my rig. looks the goods.

really easy build. tooltards shouldnt have any issues. and if they do, its nothing silicone cant fix!

edit: just need nev to finish the rest of the herms kit (controller and temp probes) so I can get this into action
I think we are ready to roll with a limited release next week. It will be the controller this time !
If I keep waiting for my fittings to arrive I may never get this kit out there. :(
Nev

file355.jpg

Removed the spout and the SS coil fits in and will take the 2200W SS element I have which will be mounted on the base. Will get the FIL to knock up an SS lid for it. Just didn't like the idea of potentially melting PVC... YMMV
Poop scoop ?
Nev

I think we are ready to roll with a limited release next week. It will be the controller this time !
If I keep waiting for my fittings to arrive I may never get this kit out there. :(
Nev

Waiting, waiting, waiting ;)

Andrew

file355.jpg

Damn you argon!

I've been scouring the internets for something like this - search for steel canisters there's heaps that *nearly* fit the job. I was hoping to be the first to find something cool and cheap to bling out the storm water drain version :D

Google Stainless steel water jug. Can buy them online for about $30 I think.

The other idea, which may come into play is a 100mm SS downpipe, which the FIL plumber can source easy enough.

The other idea, which may come into play is a 100mm SS downpipe, which the FIL plumber can source easy enough.
Make sure its a 100mm ID or the coil will not fit, coils average around 98mm OD.
Nev

Make sure its a 100mm ID or the coil will not fit, coils average around 98mm OD.
Nev
Mine was about 90mm.

-EDIT- that was measured across the top so maybe a bad assumption that the whole coil is that diameter...

Isn't it funny how your attitude to kitchen shops changes once you start brewing :lol:

What are people using to heat up the pipe?

I think the only thing I have on hand is SWMBO's hair dryer but it sounded like that won't do the job.

Cheers

Mr W

What are people using to heat up the pipe?

I think the only thing I have on hand is SWMBO's hair dryer but it sounded like that won't do the job.

Cheers

Mr W
heatgun (for paint stripping etc) makes very short work of PVC. took me under 1min to heat my pvc.

something like this even a cheap bunnings brand like ozito or something will do the trick.

Latest posts

Back