Stainless Herms Coil Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking this might go all right with ends extended and fixed through buntings fermentor lid. cold water from fridge. stc-1000 controling a pump.
Think I gunna get a double dose of the herms coil as well.

So would it be best to get a couple of 3/8" compression fittings while I'm getting the rest of the gear instead of the 1/2" fittings?

Cheers,

Sponge

Take the coil with you, the 1/2 will not fit it, and I'm taking a guess the 3/8 will be too small.

I've had to put in a short length of silicone hose and used a hose tail to adapt to it. If you can find a compression fitting to suit please post up the details.

QldKev

edit: I don't have feeler gauges here, but I'm guessing a 15/32" fitting may work

Take the coil with you, the 1/2 will not fit it, and I'm taking a guess the 3/8 will be too small.

I've had to put in a short length of silicone hose and used a hose tail to adapt to it. If you can find a compression fitting to suit please post up the details.

QldKev

edit: I don't have feeler gauges here, but I'm guessing a 15/32" fitting may work
I found a reference to some 12mm OD to 1/2"fittings HERE but they are sold .
Nev

Yea 80 bob for a couple of compression fittings is starting to get a bit steep....

Maybe my compression fitting dream will have to take a back seat and just use some hose clamps.

Sponge

So it definitely wont fit 1/2 compression fittings?

Damn, I was hoping to brew on this on the weekend.....

I have in the past fit stainless compression fittings to 12mm tube. Just replace the large ferule with a few silicon o-rings. They compress fine and seal it off nicely. Was never really able to get a proper seal using the metal ferule.

Got the idea form the electric brewery guy who did it for his counterflow chiller. As below;

cb4246a3.jpg

Ill be employing the same method for the coil I bought from Nev. Ive redesigned and broken down the brewery which will have 3 brown pumps, fly sparging, all electric, capable of double batches. Virtually hard plumbed, by way of silicon tube. No changing hoses, only a bunch of ball valves. Ill be using a small urn as I dont rate myself making one of those PVC pipe ones. Got most parts ready with the exception of the urn and may wait for nev's brew controller.

ordered mine as well. off to green shed tomorrow to buy rest of the parts

I have in the past fit stainless compression fittings to 12mm tube. Just replace the large ferule with a few silicon o-rings. They compress fine and seal it off nicely. Was never really able to get a proper seal using the metal ferule.

Got the idea form the electric brewery guy who did it for his counterflow chiller. As below;

cb4246a3.jpg

Ill be employing the same method for the coil I bought from Nev. Ive redesigned and broken down the brewery which will have 3 brown pumps, fly sparging, all electric, capable of double batches. Virtually hard plumbed, by way of silicon tube. No changing hoses, only a bunch of ball valves. Ill be using a small urn as I dont rate myself making one of those PVC pipe ones. Got most parts ready with the exception of the urn and may wait for nev's brew controller.

Mate that is a great idea, thanks for that. Could you use the O-rings for corny keg posts?? (cause thats all I have on hand)

I have been to 4 different compression fittings wholesalers and none could find one to fit this coil.....

Hey Nev, exactly what is the diameter of the tube used in the coil?

So it definitely wont fit 1/2 compression fittings?

Damn, I was hoping to brew on this on the weekend.....
Hey KBB,

I just hit mine up with a nylon olive and was able to get it tight enough to swing off. So it should work.

I did pull a nylon one off my whirlpool return and it doesn't look like it will handle the heat for too long so I wouldn't rely on it indefinitely but it should be OK as a stop-gap solution...

12mm stainless compression fittings ? In stock!

And where would I find one of these nylon olives?

Also Argon, where is the best place to get those silicone o rings (Besides craftbrewer, I cant justify going out there to get 6 washers).

Latest posts

Back