Split batch, Belgian and Weisbeer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_h

Reaction score
I wanted to make both a Belgian (blonde ish style) and a weisbeer and thought if I could split a double batch.

I would no chill so I only need to match the grain and bittering hops, I was thinking of something like.

Pilsner 60%
Wheat 40%

Bitter to about 30 IBUs with hallertauer mittelfruh.

Different hops in the cubs (just a small amount) and different yeast naturally.

Ive read that there is not too much difference using malted and unmalted wheat.

Im not a style nazi so dont mind if the belgian has a bit too much wheat, but is 40% too much.

Do you think this would work or are the styles too far apart?

Or maybe I should just man up and make two double batches properly and then have a couple of cubes ready to go!

Thanks in advance

Dave

The grain bill is fine for a weiss although ideally you would have the wheat at 50%. A bit of biscuit in there would align it more with a Belgian.
The hopping is too much for a weiss, you want around half the IBUs. Not sure late hopping or cube hopping goes with either style but you could hop to 15IBUs at 60min and then add another 10-15 IBUs in the cube for the Belgian.

Maybe replace 3% of the pils with some biscuit and hop as above to get closer to both styles.

Depending on proportion there will be a big difference using malted vs unmalted. Not sure what gave you the impression there won't be.

30 ibu is high for a hefe but you said you're not super worried about style.

In general, the idea has merit.

You might want to do a smaller bittering charge to wit levels, with a cube hop to bring it up to the bitterness you want for the pale.

I quite regularly do split batches, 2 or 3 cubes out of a single brew, (cube) hop them differently, different yeast. but I usually do brews that have a similar malt bill

Sounds worth a go, so give a shot and report back here.

The styles are both a bit off, but I read somewhere that if you think it, you can drink it. (edit: missing word added)
Which Belgian yeast are you choosing for that portion?
Be aware that phenolics do not play well with hops (in general) and the phenolics will also make the beer more bitter than the IBU would indicate.

In any case, I'd be happy to be on the tasting panel if it makes it through the concept phase to prototype.

You could always throw some candi syrup into the Belgian as well. Agree with the hopping - think 15IBU for the wheat and 20-25 for the Belgian. All it would need would be kettle addition at flameout, and make sure the hefeweizen cube is filled first (before this addition).

I've only just done a Wit/Hefe split batch with 44L in total (22L per fermenter).

I used 48/48/4 Vienna/Malted Wheat/Quick Oats. The Vienna made it a bit too malty, but was nice for something different. Won't try it again - I used standard ale malt instead in my latest kiwi and cherry wit split batch. I added Waimea to 17IBU with 12IBU as first wort hop.

To make the wit, I took about 1.5L of wort from the main boil pot at about 10mins prior to the end of boil. In this, I boiled 30g of cracked coriander and 50g of fresh orange zest for 5 mins. I allowed this to cool by sitting the pot in the sink until it was lukewarm and pitched this into the fermenter of wit.

Wit was fermented with Mangrove Jacks Belgian Wit and the Hefe with the Bavarian Hefe. The Hefe wasn't as good as the liquid yeasts - phenols were a bit tame even at 22C ferment (I like a bit of banana with the clove) - this seems to be the general opinion of this yeast in this forum. It just had mild-ish clove. The wit yeas was great and I continue to use it.

I agree with the Belgian wit yeast, absolute cracker.
Mine was 70/30 wheat/pils with a touch of crystal, and jarrylo cube hopped to ~15 ibu. The keg near evaporated.
The second cube is in the fermenter with wlp300 for a hefe.... hopefully just as good

Dammit n87, take your headphones off when you come on this forum!

n87 said:
I agree with the Belgian wit yeast, absolute cracker.
Mine was 70/30 wheat/pils with a touch of crystal, and jarrylo cube hopped to ~15 ibu. The keg near evaporated.
The second cube is in the fermenter with wlp300 for a hefe.... hopefully just as good
Thats the Mangroves Belgium Wit you are talking about ??

Also crtstal as in hops never heard of jarrylo sound good though

Must give the pkts a try if that is so

Thanks for all the comments.

I think that it would not make a bad beer or two if I follow the above ideas but Im thinking they might be a little too far out of their styles (still tasty), so I might do them separately and properly (but still double batch and cube as IVE GOT NO BEER and that situation should not be allowed to happen).

Belgian yeast ive got is WLP500 Trappist ale and M47 Belgian abbey,

I dont have any weisbeer yeast, any recommendations for something leaning to bubblegum rather than banana?

Will report back if I do end up splitting the batch

rude said:
Thats the Mangroves Belgium Wit you are talking about ??

Also crtstal as in hops never heard of jarrylo sound good though

Must give the pkts a try if that is so
Yup, MJ's Belgian wit. M20 or 21 iirc.

Crystal malt. I think it was about 5%.

Jarrylo is interesting, did a pale ale with it and it turned out quite nice, but not enough flavor or aroma for that style.
I was intending it give a hint of orange to the wit. I'm not sure if it did... with the 40c+ days, it got drunk up right and proper without me really delving that deep. The glass was usually empty before I had a chance.

dave_h said:
Thanks for all the comments.

I think that it would not make a bad beer or two if I follow the above ideas but Im thinking they might be a little too far out of their styles (still tasty), so I might do them separately and properly (but still double batch and cube as IVE GOT NO BEER and that situation should not be allowed to happen).

Belgian yeast ive got is WLP500 Trappist ale and M47 Belgian abbey,

I dont have any weisbeer yeast, any recommendations for something leaning to bubblegum rather than banana?

Will report back if I do end up splitting the batch
If you have no beer, a wit or hefe is your best bet to get a quick keg filler. About 7 days in the fermenter and package.

Latest posts

Back