Son Of A ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
I just went to see how my last brew was going (in the keg, carbing up.. sit and wait method)

The whole F**KING bottle is empty. Admittedly, its only a 2.6Kg one, but some time between last night and tonight its found a spot to seap out of and has f**ked off.

It may have been the keg, but I can't be sure. I've only got the one hooked up at the moment. I've used that keg a couple of times before and its had no problems.

So I've heard a bit of soapy water is a good idea to find where the ******* of a leak may be? I'm thinking PRV and gas in, although I don't see how if I had it connected. Any other usual suspects to check?

Absolutely pissed right off. Might have to see if Keg king is open Friday morning and make an emergency trip down there.

Welcome to the club mate. It's not a fun club to be a member of.

I've emptied my bottle 3 times in about 3 months. The 1st time I reckon the reg wasn't tight enough, 2nd time was at a case swap so I really can't remember what happened. 3rd time the gas disconnect wasn't on the post properly I don't think.

I leave the gas off now after force carbing. Once the beer starts slowing down I turn the gas on for a couple of seconds then off again. It's lasted better this time.

For some reason my gauge to tell me how much gas is left doesn't seem to work any more. Not sure how that happened.

Sorry to hear that mate. I've had the same problem. For me it was a dodge keg post. :(

What sanitiser do you use? I always spray a bit of starsan over my connections and release valve to make sure as I know the pain of leaking co2.

I think I know what caused my original leak. It was an older seal that was stiff as. The food safe application to the seal every now and then is something I will always do just to make me feel better!

It's seeing threads like this that make me happy to bottle my beer :)

Looking at the piles of empty bottles I haven't gotten around to cleaning makes me glad I keg.

I ran out 2 beers into the Boxing Day game....2.6kg also.

I "used" a D size bottle overnight a while back so now I keep a spray bottle with soapy water in it by the keg fridge and spray everything, prv, disconnects, lid seal, line connections. I also turn the gas off when not in use, which if I'm honest, is not very often.

cheers

grant

I ran out 2 beers into the Boxing Day game....2.6kg also.
am i a redneck if i have a "f" size cylinder ?
i had a vt size which was 10.5kg but now.... i have 22.5kg of co2 and i'm not afraid to use it :super: :D
i also have a soda stream bottle and 2 ozito (paintball size) cylinders for back up incase of emergencies, floods/ cyclones/parties?
nothin like peace of mind, i reckon the pub would run out of beer before i run outa gas.

Looking at the piles of empty bottles I haven't gotten around to cleaning makes me glad I keg.

Put empties sraight into the napisan container then you wont see them

Must admit though I have been checking out the keg questions of late but as Rudi suggests its got some draw backs as well

I only force carb, so I can be sure of the amount of gas I'm using. Last year my fire extinguisher valve failed and I had to borrow gas off a neighbor...so I was lucky. I'm nearly out of gas on my 1kg bottle.. fingers crossed it lasts the distance tonite!

Happy NYE brewers! :beerbang:

I'm considering purchasing a new, larger bottle in the New Year and keep my smaller one as a backup or make a portable sulo system.

I read a few months ago that Supagas is offering a fully owned 6kg bottle for $150, with $50 refill.
I called the Adelaide office, and found out it isn't offered here, only rentals.

For tonight, It's going to be an imported case of haven't decided & my resolution will be to never let the gas run dry!

Happy New Years to all! :party:

Always pays to have a some beer in bottles in case of a disaster such as this, touch wood has'nt happened to me yet

yep i know the feeling when the beer no flow and usually when BOC is closed. This year i noticed my vt had run out on 24th dec with just enought time to get to BOC to be the last customer of the day. There is a god....

then just last night with a few freinds over for a bbq the keg ran out, npo fear just lift the lid and swap over to the keg of Belgium pale ale, pulled the tap foam n gas n no beer ... what tha <_< ....lift the lid to take a closer look at 20L of beer sloshing around in the converted chest freezer. the poppet mustn't have held a seal. :angry:

so there is a god but he no likey me.

Id take running out of gas over spilt beer. at least you can pop the top on corney just like a huge tinnie.... :icon_cheers:

yep i know the feeling when the beer no flow and usually when BOC is closed. This year i noticed my vt had run out on 24th dec with just enought time to get to BOC to be the last customer of the day. There is a god....

then just last night with a few freinds over for a bbq the keg ran out, npo fear just lift the lid and swap over to the keg of Belgium pale ale, pulled the tap foam n gas n no beer ... what tha <_< ....lift the lid to take a closer look at 20L of beer sloshing around in the converted chest freezer. the poppet mustn't have held a seal. :angry:

so there is a god but he no likey me.

Id take running out of gas over spilt beer. at least you can pop the top on corney just like a huge tinnie.... :icon_cheers:
my god..... you are a true genius that thinks outside the square :icon_drunk:

Commiserations Si...

Tell us it wasn't one of the good ones??

Brewers,
If you are into HB for the long haul, then a 6kg bottle purchased from mykegsonlegs or you local HB store is the way to go.

cheers

Browndog

My 6.5kg cylinder emptied just on New Years day. Very appropriate....

I wasn't sure of if my bottle would last me through the festive season, but the last thing I wanted was to run out half way through christmas night. I was lucky that my LHBS likes me enough to let me take a full bottle as back up, and just drop off the old one when she runs out. Turns out it wasn't required after all, but better to be safe than thirsty.

I find I get leaks from my unattached gas disconnects...hook them all up to kegs, and no leaks. Have spoken to others who have had the same issue.

Back