Sodium Dichlorisocyanurate + Trisodium Phosphate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I picked up a 200g sachet of what is labelled as 'Keg Cleaner' yesterday at a homebrew shop. It has in brackets 'Sodium Dichlorisocyanurate + Trisodium Phosphate' as ingredients.
Instructions are; Use 1-2 teaspoons in 5 litres of cold water to clean, sterilise and deodorise kegs and beer lines. Leave to soak for 10-20 mins then rinse well.

Has anyone used it or does anyone have any knowledge on it? I asked for something to clean my bottles with and chose this from a selection of 3 little bags of chemicals.

Cheers,
Boagsy

Hi Boagsy,
Have used the stuff to clean scummy 2nd hand bottles. Worked well.
It's pretty strong stuff so wear gloves and rinse VERY thoroughly. :excl:
Clean up any splashes as they will leave a white residue.
And again rinse those bottles well.
Hope this helps;
Cheers.

Boagsy

If worried about chemicals go to Google and type MSDS and chemical name, should give you safety info.

Don't know how it is as a bottle cleaner.

cheers
Ian

No worries thanks a lot.
I think I'll stay clear of this stuff,
'SODIUM DICHLORO ISOCYANURATE,

Extremely hazardous in case of ingestion. Very hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, irritant), of eye contact
(irritant), of inhalation. The amount of tissue damage depends on length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal​
damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation and blistering. Inhalation of dust will produce irritation​
to gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract, characterized by burning, sneezing and coughing. Severe over-exposure can​
produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death. Prolonged exposure may result in skin burns and​
ulcerations. Over-exposure by inhalation may cause respiratory irritation. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by​
redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally,​
blistering.'

Something more free-rinsing and less hazardous is sure to do the job.
Pity I ran out of PBW and Pink, got a lotta bottles to wash tomorrow.

Edited to say that I can't see how it can be used as a seriliser when you have to rinse well.

What's wrong with napisan?

No more hazardous than any cleaning product you buy from the supermarket. Considering concentrated acids and bases sit on hardware shop shelves these two chemicals are harmless in comparison.

MSDS' should be taken with a grain of salt, have a read of the MSDS for water......

What's wrong with napisan?

It doesn't appear to be as free rinsing as the PBW or Pink.
I usually use napisan to soak my bottles before their first use then give an acid wash before rinsing and including with the rest of my bottles.
Before bottling I like the PBW and Pink because a 30 min soak and a quick rinse appears to be all that's needed before sanitising with starsan.

I agree with Doc. I work in a laboratory and MSDS's are treated much like the warnings on the back of pharmaceuticals which list the possible side effects. In saying this, they are good to know and be wary of but be mindful that the listed effects are absolutely worst case.

No worries thanks a lot.
I think I'll stay clear of this stuff,
Due to the FDA regulations even the StarSan MSDS and printed-on-the-bottle info sounds really scary, is this stuff really any worse?

Yeah, you probly right.
It's good to know the precautions and it'll be OK to use as long as I give it a good rinse.
Is the starsan any worse? Probably not but it possibly could be, a risk I'm willing to take I guess.

Latest posts

Back