Beer line cleaning with Trisodium Phosphate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the problem exists when the water part evaporates and the salts attack the material, IE it concentrates.
You find the same with Sodium percarbonate on flasks, it starts to film up on the glass and is hard to remove if at all.
Nev

Batz said:
It actually states "Avoid prolonged exposure to aluminium and brass" I don't know how long prolonged is though.
Not mine Batz. On the yellow tub it says immediately for brass and aluminium, which is why I'm hesitant to use it at all the inside of my taps are brass.

Bribie G said:
No need for the mask, it just looks like sugar. Rubber gloves are a good idea. I expect in the old days millions of housewives (as they were called then and also today by Tones) would have been exposed to the stuff every wash day. Probably cured PMT.
WTF. Cure for PMT and you post it in a thread for beer line cleaning? What were you thinking? This news needs to be promulgated globally. Do you know the dosage I need to give SWMBO? Or do I take it? Cos it's me that suffers PMT, she just has it; it's different

mckenry said:
Not mine Batz. On the yellow tub it says immediately for brass and aluminium, which is why I'm hesitant to use it at all the inside of my taps are brass.
OK I'll check my label again, I read it on their site here

http://www.tricleanium.com.au/

I did try to email them but it seems the email is not current anymore.

Batz

Batz said:
OK I'll check my label again, I read it on their site here

http://www.tricleanium.com.au/

I did try to email them but it seems the email is not current anymore.

Batz
Thanks for that. Interesting the website states 'prolonged' yet the tub itself says 'immediately'.
Hearing others state how well it cleaned the inside of their lines, with heaps of gunk coming out after a half hour soak, I am keen to give it a go. That means however that the solution has to pass through my chrome plated brass taps. If a half hour is not 'prolonged' and a fresh water rinse will suffice post clean, then I'll give it a go.
If however, 'immediately' means that a half hour contact with the brass is going to cause problems, even with fresh water rinsing, then I'll have to clean with something else.

What about mixing some up and dropping a brass fitting in for a couple of hours, just to see what happens? If I remember I'll do it on the weekend.

Batz

Batz said:
What about mixing some up and dropping a brass fitting in for a couple of hours, just to see what happens? If I remember I'll do it on the weekend.

Batz
Good idea. I will too. Post back.

How did you guys go checking the Brass fitting in the solution, has it disappeared by now? :p

I mixed a strong solution and let a brass fitting in there for over a week. Seems no problem at all, the fitting did not even discolor.

Cool. What are people mixing this at. The mixing rate range quoted on the container allows too much interpretation for my small mind.

Say for cleaning factory oil out of new butterfly valves, strongest ideal solution is how many grams per litre?

Looks like the dilution rates quoted are:

General cleaning 1 lid per 9 Litres hot water (bucket defined in video from website).
Heavy Duty cleaning 2 lids per 9 Litres hot water.

I weighed it up for those mixing up smaller volume solutions:

Level lid full (2kg container lid) = 60 grams
1 tablespoon = 18 grams
1 teaspoon = 5 grams

General cleaning
6.7 grams per Litre,
or
1 heaped teaspoon in 1 Litre.

Heavy Duty cleaning
13.3 grams per Litre,
or
1 tablespoon mixed in 1.5 Litres.

Hope that helps someone :)

I'm still using this 1-3 mix with 100% sodium percarbonate. I find it makes a great brewery cleaner, beer lines, kegs, glasses, anything and brings the B.M. up like new.
I believe it works heaps better than PBW.

Give it a try.

Batz

Back