Beer line cleaning with Trisodium Phosphate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I recently bought a big tub of Tricleanium from Bunnings, it's pure TSP and I see that this alkaline chemical is good for cleaning beer lines - leave one hour then flush with clean water. I've also been using TSP for renovating beer glasses... brings them up like new, and for washing out fermenters.

I've used it for my beer lines today and they came up really well. I followed the rinse with a Starsan solution that will stay in the lines till I use them again.

I thought I'd post a heads up for brewers who aren't near a LHBS and need a supply of da strong bomb for multiple jobs round the brewery. With my pure Sodium Percarbonate, Trisodium Phosphate and Starsan no bug shall live :)

TSP.jpg

Quarter cup to 5 litres, as suggested by Challenge Chemicals who sell it as a line cleaner. I also gave my bronco tap a fright with it .

What's it worth Bribie?

I use a version of TSP powder that I have found from a local commercial cleaning product supplier.

I use it for all of my cleaning purposed and can say that it is far superior to PBW in value and as good as a cleaner.

You can even get a chlorinated form that works as a sanitizer also (rinse required). I have not personally had any issues with stainless steel corrosion.

I'm not sure why TSP is not more widely used? It seems like the perfect homebrew cleaning product

$15 for the kilo tub. I bought it to pre wash my SS BrewBucket.

Back in the 1970s when I ran a LHBS we used to sell TSP as a popular general cleaner, especially for stripping everything off glassware.

Two reasons it's not widely known nowadays: detergents don't contain phosphates any more, so far less is manufactured, plus Workplace Health and Nannying probably doesn't like it as it's an alkaline chemical and they would have to write a seven day course for you to follow before you are allowed to use it. :huh:

Edit: after filling the pipes for an hour, when I flushed them the first couple of seconds was the colour of tea with heaps of brown flakes, excellent stuff.

I think TSP needs to be more widely pushed as a good all round alternative to PBW.

Never mind the algal blooms :lol:

No need for the mask, it just looks like sugar. Rubber gloves are a good idea. I expect in the old days millions of housewives (as they were called then and also today by Tones) would have been exposed to the stuff every wash day. Probably cured PMT.

major_mitt said:
I think TSP needs to be more widely pushed as a good all round alternative to PBW.

Never mind the algal blooms :lol:
Well it's half the price, and I would mix it with 1 part - 2 parts of Sodium Percarbonate. Cheap as chips PBW (of which I'm almost out of).

Good to know about this, so if you use this to clean your lines and fermenter. What do you use percarbonate to clean?

I use perc for organic stuff like trub rings, BIAB bags etc. where the perc does more or less what Napisan does to shitty nappies.

The TSP seems to work in addition to this for baked on crap like beer stone, tannins and grease. I hadn't thought of a combination as suggested by Batz, wondering if there would be a chemical reaction between the perc and the TSP.

One way to find out, I'll try it with my next fermenter B)

I'm still using Bunnings fermenters until my BrewBucket catches up.

I've just noticed on the Bunnings website that they also sell that stuff in 2.2kg containers for just under $25. Even better value if your local green shed stocks that size . LINK

Hippy said:
I've just noticed on the Bunnings website that they also sell that stuff in 2.2kg containers for just under $25. Even better value if your local green shed stocks that size . LINK
Spotted that ;) ;)

Yes, the big size was there when I shopped. I only bought the kilo because, at the time, I thought how much TSP does one man need in a lifetime. Bad move :lol:

Bribie G said:
Yes, the big size was there when I shopped. I only bought the kilo because, at the time, I thought how much TSP does one man need in a lifetime. Bad move :lol:
Your side of the border, most people would steal it anyway. That or use it in their meth. lab.

Batz

It's sold at some brewshops under different names (often the chlorinated trisodium phosphate). PSR is one of the names used which is short for the technical term "Pink Stain Remover".

Back