Beer line cleaning with Trisodium Phosphate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
The TSP seems to work in addition to this for baked on crap like beer stone, tannins and grease. I hadn't thought of a combination as suggested by Batz, wondering if there would be a chemical reaction between the perc and the TSP.

One way to find out, I'll try it with my next fermenter B)
Did you get around to trying the combination for cleaning BG?

What section is this stuff found?

Batz

This stuff sounds great, always nice to have a combination of cleaners available and cycle through them so bugs don't get over familiar with any single type. Off to Bunnings (again).

I believe this is the stuff to mix with sodium percarbonate to make PBW

Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate

2 parts Sodium Percarbonate to 1 part of the above.

Let me know how your mix works Batz, I will give it a try if it goes OK.

Thanks for the tip BribieG

Hey bribie are you just mixing this in a corny then running it through your lines?

Yes, mix it up warm. I haven't tried mixing it with perc yet, was unsure what would happen if I mixed TSP with a strong oxidising agent. Not ready for a guide dog yet. :p

Bloody hell the was a fair amount of crap coming out just putting it in lines!

Will post again once I flush them clean but seems pretty damn good so far!

Seems the goods ran a fair whack of water through till bits stopped coming out then sanitised lines.

Would this be able to be used like PBW as a hot soak for a braumeister?

Well that's what I want, it does advise against long exposure to brass. I'm not sure if a few hours is long exposure? I tried to email them regards the BM pump body's but the email seems to be out of date.

Batz

I only use PBW for around an hour or so and brass in pump seems fine in mine.

Bribie G said:
I recently bought a big tub of Tricleanium from Bunnings, it's pure TSP and I see that this alkaline chemical is good for cleaning beer lines - leave one hour then flush with clean water. I've also been using TSP for renovating beer glasses... brings them up like new, and for washing out fermenters.

I've used it for my beer lines today and they came up really well. I followed the rinse with a Starsan solution that will stay in the lines till I use them again.

I thought I'd post a heads up for brewers who aren't near a LHBS and need a supply of da strong bomb for multiple jobs round the brewery. With my pure Sodium Percarbonate, Trisodium Phosphate and Starsan no bug shall live :)

attachicon.gif
TSP.jpg

Bribie, I've always avoided running Strasan though my taps as I'm afraid that the extreme pH might damage metal components. I stick to Sodium Perc' for that reason. Can anyone advise on the liklihood of damage to taps if Starsan is left in the taps for a long time? I would like the peace of mind from an infection point of view if damage is unlikely.

When I say "long time" I mean weeks and months not a few days. I have 5 taps and they are only rarely all running at once.

Thanks in advance.

doon said:
I only use PBW for around an hour or so and brass in pump seems fine in mine.
I leave PBW to work overnight, rinse in the morning. It does work a treat but a cheaper alternative would also be welcome.
I see the bulk buy price has gone up up a heap.

Nov. 2010 @ one of our sponsors 50lb (22.7kg) pail for $258
Now 2014 @ one of our sponsors 50lb (22.7kg) pail for $369

It's gone up over $100.00 per 50lb, time to make it myself. ;)

Batz

Batz said:
I leave PBW to work overnight, rinse in the morning. It does work a treat but a cheaper alternative would also be welcome.
I see the bulk buy price has gone up up a heap.

Nov. 2010 @ one of our sponsors 50lb (22.7kg) pail for $258
Now 2014 @ one of our sponsors 50lb (22.7kg) pail for $369

It's gone up over $100.00 per 50lb, time to make it myself. ;)

Batz
When some guys bought the ingredients from a supplier ( 2x 25 kg of Sodium Perc and 1 x 25 kg of Sodium Metasilicate) it cost around $200 for the three bags which made 75 kg of PBW.
I got 5 kg in a BB about a year ago and I have used around half of it.
I am not game to buy the bags and mix it myself for fear of me dying of old age before I used it all. :)

If Bribies gear works then that will be the go for me.

Just doing a bit of research about cleaning my lines with TSP and remembered this thread.
Theres a warning on the tub to wipe off from brass and aluminium immediately. I dont think I can use it as a line cleaner as my perlick taps are chromed brass.
BribieG - What taps do you have?
Bugger. Wouldnt want to damage this baby

gallery_3054_1149_357801.jpg

Being chromed I don't think there would be a problem. My font taps have brassy bits inside and the TSP didn't affect them. Possibly if you have shiny brass it might take a bit of the shine off?

It actually states "Avoid prolonged exposure to aluminium and brass" I don't know how long prolonged is though.

Back