Sterilising PET bottles - in the middle of nowhere.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bludger

Reaction score
Homebrewers.
I am trying to brew Cider in the tropics. (This is not a Cider brewing question I am not posting in the wrong forum).
I am some distance from civilisation and cannot get all of the bits that you take for granted.

My question is how can I sterilise PET bottles? I am reusing 1 litre soft drink bottles for bottling and secondary fermentation.
Will vinegar 6% be adequate? I was thinking of washing out with Vinegar and then rinsing with Bottled water. The vinegar would not kill me or the yeast if I left some traces behind due to inadequate rinsing.

My constraints.
I have tap water but it is unsafe to drink unless boiled.
I have access to bottled water. I want to minimise how much I use for washing bottles as it costs money.
I do not have easy access to the common cleaning chemicals. E.g Sodium Hypochlorite etcetera.
The use of hot/boiling water in the PET bottles does not seem like a good idea?
I can get hold of cleaning chemicals for Laundry and Floors etcetera. But the thought of leaving traces in the PET bottles from inadequate washing scares me. My bathroom cleaner is 15% W/W Hydrochloric Acid for example. The thought of swallowing that even after dilution and washing is a little scary.

Methods that I have considered.
1. Boiling tap water and pouring it into the PET bottles.
That should kill pretty much anything but will the heat damage the PET bottles?

2. Washing and soaking with a household detergent.
As stated above, the chemicals are pretty nasty and will then require extensive rinsing with water to ensure that the bad stuff is gone. It would be both laborious and wasteful to generate enough boiled water and bottled water to do a thorough job.

3. Vinegar.
Seems like a good idea and relatively safe. Easy to rinse and not the end of the world if rinsing is inadequate.

So far I have cobbled together the following.
Primary fermenter. A 6 litre water bottle. If the first batch is drinkable I will look to get a larger container.
Yeast: Bakers yeast - the only available yeast.
Juice: From one litre containers. Preservative free and made from reconstituted juice (yuk).
Empty soft drink bottles for bottling. I could use empty beer bottles but I have no bottle caps, no capper and no bottle brush to clean them with at the moment.
Sugar - readily available, no method of weighing it. I am using the level teaspoon technique. I may bulk prime later brews.
Temperature control: None at all, not even an airconditioned room.
I have no hydrometer and I am judging when fermentation is complete by eye and rule of thumb. No futher bubbles, sediment settled out and then give it a few days.

Help and advice will be appreciated.

4 ml unscented household bleach per lire of cold water. Soak for 30 mins, drain and dry.
Some texts suggest bleach at this rate of dilution is a no-rinse sanitiser, however I would be rinsing with warm, pre-boiled water for ease of mind. Further sanitation can be acheived by standing the bottles in sunlight (UV)

Don't put boiling water in PET bottles. They crinkle/shrink/melt.

Buy some better yeast . Online home brew shops will send yeast to wherever you pick up your mail. Probably get half a dozen in the post for less than $30.

Make some ice and mix with water in an esky. Place 6 ltr fermenter in esky. Close lid. Repeat Ice and water as need .The water should feel very cool but not uncomfortable to immerse your hand in for a while.

Laundry powder contains sodium percarbonate. Use that in hot ( not boiling ) water. Rinse well with boiled warm water.

Boiling water will deforme PET as per above posters

Bleach or read up on diluting hydrogen peroxide. You can get 50ml bottles from the pharmacy, they do the exact same work in sanitising as sodium percarbonate, albeit it is totally non rinse since all that remains is water. Where in the tropics exactly? Do you have aus post? Even a slow one. Get a bottle of starsan sent from craftbrewer in Brisbane, maybe a few things besides.

One method of keeping the brew cool in the tropics I found worked was to wait for the forecast to show overcast days and then start a ferment in that period since the day temp keeps within reason. I'd just sit the fermenter in a tub of water. Freeze up bottles full of water to use as ice bricks in the tub if you want to for day 1-3 ish.

PET bottles should be safe-ish to bottle in. Kind of. Be careful with the carbonation.

Newtown Clown. Thanks I will see if I can get unscented bleach and give it a try. I see that others suggest a bleach/vinegar mix. (Surely that is an Acid and a Base and you get a chemical reaction?)

wereprawn. Thanks, the Esky trick is not practical at the moment. I am running this on a shoestring budget until I have established that it is practical. Although that would help solve the problem of keeping the ants off the fermenter.
As for yeast all mail goes via my employer. I am trying to fly under the radar and I don't want to run the risk of a package being opened and questions asked.

Ducatiboy. Rather labour intensive to boil all that water. Ok for 5 or 6 bottles but if I ramp up to a 20 litre production it will be too much like hard work and abstinence will look to be easiest.

practical fool. I cannot give my location. Technically it is illegal to home brew where I am, while the chance of getting caught is small, the consequences could be costly. I will look into the H2O2. That is a pretty harsh cleaner will it damage the PET bottles? Not sure if pharmacies here are the same as Oz.

I am using soft drink (PET) bottles because I know that they can stand a certain amount of pressure. Also many home brew kits now use PET, so it cannot be too bad.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Given time I will be able to get all the things that I require. I have a planned trip back to Oz in April next year. I will be able to fill up on yeast, bottle tops a capper and the starsan stuff.

If you drink beer or are able to get some (that's bottle conditioned or unfiltered stuff), you may be able to get a collection of yeasty dregs for your ciders.

If you can keep your fermenter in some water it might help reduce high temperature fluctuations, Which cant be a bad thing.

You sound very restricted in your secret brewing. How do you stop people smell it brewing?

nah mate, H2O2 is sold in pretty diluted form as a local sanitiser for wounds. 3% or something. Its as safe and non-toxic as you'd get. Perfectly alright with plastic bottles afaik. Sounds like you are in the unspeakable lands! They might have local palm wine or something if you look hard enough, great stuff ;)

For cooling. Try the wet towel trick. Even immersing the sealed bottles in a water tank will possibly help ( I have seen water tanks at 45 deg in the NW). I would run with what you have for a couple of bottles and just see what happens. Maybe expose the washed bottles to the radiation from a nuclear reactor (sunlight) but keep the dust out. Probably the main safety issue will be if you spit it back out in your mates face and he thumps you.

Thanks again.
Wereprawn. Smells with such a small operation is not a problem at the moment. I have a small place seperate from others. Besides I am surrounded by expats who would not tell.

practical fool: I am "somewhere in Asia" not sandland. I can buy local beer cheaply, but I really miss Cider.

No yeasty dregs in beer here. I do miss Coopers for that!

As far as the legality goes it is totally legal to consume alcohol but I am in a working and living environment where consumption of alcohol is discouraged especially public consumption.
According to the laws of the country home brew is illegal. a bit like Australia 30 years ago where it was illegal but a lot of people did it. But the authorities and my employer would not turn a blind eye if I was found out.

Iodophor is a no rinse steriliser that is just iodine, I'm not sure how pure the iodine used in first aid is but that should work.

Why not brew the juice in the bottle it came in? No cleaning, no sanitising etc.

superstock said:
Why not brew the juice in the bottle it came in? No cleaning, no sanitising etc.
easy solution....

Pokey said:
Iodophor is a no rinse steriliser that is just iodine, I'm not sure how pure the iodine used in first aid is but that should work.
Iodophor is an Iodine Phosphoric Acid solution which will kill just about any nasties that can infect your brew - 1-1.5ml per litre will last a long time but stain all your equipment brown.

Get someone to ship it to you from a local home brew store

Or, ferment and carbonate and consume from the bottle the juice came in?

Drink half a cup of the juice, add a cup of sugar and any spices etc, pitch yeast, replace cap loosely and allow to ferment in the coolest dark spot you can find, Should be done in under a week,

Made cider like this a few times in Wuxi, China as suggested by the Lion Nathan lads when I bitched about no cider. They supplied me with yeast slurry.
Then I discovered what the locals called Shandong Champagne was actually pretty good magnums of dry apple cider (Shandong is famous for their apples) and dirt cheap.

Yea, I thought as much. We had some of the local palm wine in Bali, friggin awesome stuff. Did wonders to the parents mood and everyone walked back to the pale we stayed, like more than 2 hours!

Do as Newtown says, don't even need to add sugar. If someone were to even see the bottle you can claim it's just gone bad cuz you didn't lid it tight. In fact, if you do so it might just get local wild yeast and ferment nicely. I take it you have a fridge for food, I'd recommend putting it in the fridge after about 3 days max of the active ferment. Capped tight to let the carbonation build up at fridge door temps between drinks. Somewhat sweeter cider but it's good. Do one with added honey and give it a month or so, it's beautiful.

Just a random comment, this reminds me that it is illegal to homebrew in japan to any meaningful strength. Good luck with your cider.

rheffera said:
Just a random comment, this reminds me that it is illegal to homebrew in japan to any meaningful strength. Good luck with your cider.
Homebrewing in Japan is legal - as long as your brew is no higher than 1% abv, it is legal to buy and sell homebrew equipment in Japan.

superstock said:
The juice comes in Tetra packs not bottles. Also I want to brew in batches not individual bottles. That sounds too hit and miss.

Thanks for the comments. I decanted my 6 litre tester into 1 litre used Pepsi bottles today. I will see how it turns out in a couple of weeks,

Latest posts

Back