So This Is Christmas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
Inspired by a recent thread where an off-the-cuff comment stating that I don't celebrate christmas brought about a few barbed comments, I thought it may be timely to create this thread in order to bring some sort of clarity to the forthcoming ritual that most members will be taking part in. So to get the ball rolling, let me throw these questions out for debate & consideration:

• What does christmas mean to you ?
  • What does christmas mean to those that are devout Christians ?
  • What does christmas mean to those that aren't practicing christians, but have a latent faith in the concept ?
  • What does christmas mean to those who simply do not believe in christianity at all ?

For me christmas is about spending time with family...its actually one of the only times of the year that we get to spend some time together.

Personally I don't believe in the religious side of it...its just my choice.

As for Jase potentially not beliveing in the religious side of things, and maybe not christmas at all (this is my personal assumption from Jase's recent posts...no harm intended if I got it wrong) atleast he will get time to spend with his family...something that I'm sure he holds close.

Have a great day on the 25th Jase...no matter what you do, just make sure you enjoy your time with your family.

Cheers, Pok

What does christmas mean to you ?

Bringing family together, not going to bloody work

What does christmas mean to those who simply do not believe in christianity at all ?

it's a good way to end the year with no work and lots and lots of food and loads of drinking. Good to be with family and friends and not have any worries. I've never been to church in my life and have absolutely no interest in any religion.

:chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

Looks like a reoccurring theme here, I also have no beliefs in any religion (although respect those that do) and only ever been to church for weddings/funerals when had no choice....

Christmas to me is a time of the year when we get to sit back and relax (hard to believe with three little ones), take some time off from work and spend it with the family and the children (all under 5) enjoying a time of the year when "Santa" comes to reward them for the past year with a few gifts and the like.

Time for us to have fun with the kids (chrissy tree, lights etc etc).

Looks like a reoccurring theme here

Wambesi, you do realise that I started this thread to get this away from being too OT from the other one, right ? The theme is only recurring because I'm averting non-related discussion to a dedicated thread.

Pokolbinguy, you are correct in your assumption, I have no belief in the religious side of christmas. And as such, I cannot be true to myself, nor my absence of christian belief, by celebrating an event that, in it's modern interpretation, recognises the birth of an alleged messiah.

Christmas to me is commercial holiday which results me in me being paid more money. I have ZERO religious beliefs and do not care for the whole Jesus thing...If others wish to, that's their thing, and provided you don't try to make me believe in it, I won't try to make you not to...

I see it as a day where family can get together and share a day off, although I like the idea of the "airing of grievances" ala festivus....

Whats sad is being at work on Christmas day....when you see some sap playing away on $10 blackjack on at 8am on a Christmas morning, you know they have nowhere else to go....

EDIT: I should throw in however that Christmas will become more of a big deal here over the next few years, with 'little miss' now seeing her second one, and her love of presents, I can detect a hint of my donig my mother's trick of walking through the house with big boots on and sprinkling talcum powder around my feet to show where santas been....

Inspired by a recent thread where an off-the-cuff comment stating that I don't celebrate christmas brought about a few barbed comments, I thought it may be timely to create this thread in order to bring some sort of clarity to the forthcoming ritual that most members will be taking part in. So to get the ball rolling, let me throw these questions out for debate & consideration:

• What does christmas mean to you ?
  • What does christmas mean to those that are devout Christians ?
  • What does christmas mean to those that aren't practicing christians, but have a latent faith in the concept ?
  • What does christmas mean to those who simply do not believe in christianity at all ?

For most of my adult life christmas hasnt meant much to me. But since having my two girls christmas has a renwed life of excitement especially in my almost 3 year old who is scared of santa at the shops is excited that the fat man in red is making her toys and lollies.
So I geuss it is about my little girls andthe time I get to spend with them.
So Jase you cant ask questions like this without giving your meaning of christmas.

Cheers Brad

I have a vague belief in some power that sorts out who is going to spend up to a hundred years as centre of the universe as I am currently (and as each of you is as you read this) and who you will be next because if nobody is the centre of the univers then it all falls apart. Right?

Apart from that, Christmas to me is about getting back in touch with family, especially as my boys have grown up and I'm glad that as kids they have had happy Christmases to look back on.

It's also an excuse to unleash my toucan stout 8% on the unwary :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me christmas is about spending time with family...its actually one of the only times of the year that we get to spend some time together.

Personally I don't believe in the religious side of it...its just my choice.
I'm pretty much the same, Christmas is a great time for family, good food and a few drinks. Personally I'm neither here nor there on the religious side of things, as long as people respect other people's beliefs I don't have a problem. Most of my family are Christians, the good thing is none are pushy nor do they look down on anyone who isn't.

I'll be looking forward to my two year old son opening all his presents though, that's going to be the best part.

I'll like to wish you all,yes everyone on AHB a Merry Xmas and a happy and healthy 2009

Batz

Wambesi, you do realise that I started this thread to get this away from being too OT from the other one, right ? The theme is only recurring because I'm averting non-related discussion to a dedicated thread.

Jase I did know as I came to it from your link in the other one, I meant "reoccurring" as the post previous (and others) also were celebrating it for family (and other) reasons and no religious beliefs. I probably should have quoted it, oh well!

So Jase you cant ask questions like this without giving your meaning of christmas.

Fair point, but the answer to your question is one that's probably to be assumed already. Christmas has no meaning to me whatsoever. Despite having a catholic-schooled education, the concept of christianity never convinced me. Never, ever. Of course I was exposed to the concept of christmas as a child, which was more about the elements that everyone thus far has made mention of (family get together etc) and the modern interpretation of the origin (ie birth of Jesus, he who came to save the world yada yada yada) was never rammed down my throat. I make mention of this because my ideals aren't borne from any psychological scarring at the hands of fundamentalist upbringing. Conversly though, I wasn't brougt up not to believe either. It was just dormant, stale old rhetoric, and the playing out of the concept.

But as I advanced into adulthood (I'll reluctantly get there one day!) and began questioning the basis of dogmatic theology, it dawned on me that to participate in a ritual that has it's basis in a concept that I consider fraudulent (ie christianity, and all its branching schisms), I would therefore be untrue to my personal belief structure if I were to participate in the myth. So for the past 10 years or so I have made the decision to be honest with myself & with others and simply 'not celebrate christmas'. You will recall that as being the initial statement I made in the other thread, and one I would have left alone if not for the murmers that followed.

Brad, does that answer your question ? No doubt my ensuing comments shall, if this thread has any legs.

Jase I did know as I came to it from your link in the other one, I meant "reoccurring" as the post previous (and others) also were celebrating it for family (and other) reasons and no religious beliefs. I probably should have quoted it, oh well!

Sorry mate, it was me that read it wrong.

Jase, I applaud you for sticking to your principles and not being sucked along into something you have no interest in just because everyone else is doing it.

As for me, I was raised with Christianity (Grandfather was a priest and father has recently been ordained) but I would put myself in the second of those three categories you listed.

Christmas (as a "season") has lost most of it's magic for me after working in retail for a few years, and even though I'm not directly in retail now, my job necessitates me going into shopping centres daily. I am well and truly over it by now, when I started hearing Christmas carols in October. I also despise the fact that I, along with what I'm sure is a generous sample of the population, have to endure everyone's cheery outlook and "Merry Christmas's" when for the rest of the year they are miserable gits. (Man that felt good!) :p

Christmas Day is a time off work and for family and while the negative side (such as above) rears it's head occasionally, this has been mellowed since having kids. I try to relax, not let the outlaws get on my nerves and enjoy watching the kids tear into their stuff. This year will differ from every other in that it will just be myself, SWMBO and offspring and I think that will make it all the more enjoyable, without driving here and there to see the rellies.

SO.. enjoy it in your own way and try not to let it get to you, and in the spirit of Christmas practice a little tolerance for those who may be different.

Cheers,

microbe

Sorry mate, it was me that read it wrong.

No worries, I thought it may have been the case.

Jase, I applaud you for sticking to your principles and not being sucked along into something you have no interest in just because everyone else is doing it.

My thoughts also, call me a hypocrite but your views are similar to mine with Halloween, I downright refuse to celebrate that as amongst other things has no bearing on our history and/or beliefs and for the first time my 4yr old this year came back from preschool saying how it was Halloween and trick and treat time - to which I told him we don't do it.

Like I said it may be hypocritical but that's just me! :p Christmas is family time for us more than anything, and it's not just "a day" so to speak, it's the whole holiday period.

This should be in off topic with such question Jase.

1.It means in credible lot of over spending which would make the governments happy.
2.It is a celebration of the greatest man who ever walked this earth.
3. A time to remember why you have a family LOL
4. Time off drinking piss and having a laugh.

you choose

I have no belief in the religious side of christmas. And as such, I cannot be true to myself, nor my absence of christian belief, by celebrating an event that, in it's modern interpretation, recognises the birth of an alleged messiah.

How about just taking advantage of the opportunity to be around those you care about for a bit of a break from work? That's what I do, I'm not religious in the slightest.

[quote name='Jase71' date='Dec 19 2008, 07:06 PM' post='39134

Brad, does that answer your question ? No doubt my ensuing comments shall, if this thread has any legs.
[/quote]
Yeah Mate question answered and as i am not a church going man i reckon you are in your own right to not celebrate just as those who choose to have every right to celebrate. I think most public holidays are just commercially bastardised. The only people that I frown upon are those that live in this great country and dont celebrate/respect ANZAC day and Australia Day. But that is another story.

Cheers Brad

The only people that I frown upon are those that live in this great country and dont celebrate/respect ANZAC day and Australia Day. But that is another story.

Cheers Brad

You mean "Invasion Day"......... :p :p

Sorry, my honorary indigenous roots showing there.......

As for ANZAC day, I have told people at work to "STAND UP AND SHUT UP" when we hold our minute's silence......

Latest posts

Back