And So This Is ........ Anzac Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lest We Forget

compulsary listening on ANZAC and Remeberance day -

It is a day that 2 countries should remember those who stood before them and did what they did for those who would come after them. Whether they were concripted or not they still fought and died for later generations.

Im ex-army and will be at dawn service. anyone who slags off ANZAC day needs to have a hard look at themselves. We remember those who fell, not the war in which they fell. two seperate issues. We arent remember a particular battle (like independence day or simialr), we remember whose who fought and died.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't think so ? Evil & Sneaky (your words) are the munitions of the new Hitler, and we're all playing the part of the opressed masses. Just turn on your TV, walk into your local Coles, buy your clothes based on some semblence of the 'in' fashion. This is no different than having a serial number tattoed on your forearm.

There were fashions before there was electronic mass media. People are social creatures.

On to the main topic:

My own family came here after WWII, when their small country (Lithuania) was invaded by their huge neighbour (USSR). I don't have the same emotional ties to WWI that a lot of old Australian families have, but I shed a tear every ANZAC Day and raise a glass to the diggers that made this country what it is, a country that accepts all people, no matter where they're from. We're a people that fight in overseas wars then accept refugees from those very same countries. There are people in "my" community who fought in later conflicts proudly wearing the Australian uniform.

Australia will be a greater country when the old prejudices die, when the term "wog" is a historical curiousity, when the xenophobia that is still being passed on ceases, when all our people accept multiculturalism, and, most importantly, when all immigrants accept Australian values.

I'll raise a glass to the diggers and all the later soldiers this ANZAC Day. War is a scourge on this planet and I think it's good that we all spend a day a year remembering those who've fought and the horror that they went thru, so that we don't repeat the same crap again and again and again.

Ill raise my glass to that PoMo!

ANZAC means nice bikki's too yeah?

Do you like the crunchy ones or chewy ones?

Look at least it was a thread in the ot section and not on a beer related thread yesterday that behaviour was quite disgusting and they seemed to get away with it. Then there was another thread that disappeared very very quickly.

I would hate to think this day would be gone in ten years time (even though I agreed with alot that you had to say) but why should a memory be taken away. It's also a reminder of how horrible war can be. It' also a time people involved can met up and a time that its okay to talk about. Something I guess our generation does not understand.

Chewy FTW!

PostModern's post FTW!

(So I guess it's either a tie or two different competitions)

My grandmother made the best chewy anzac bikkies..

Lest we forget.

...My own family came here after WWII, when their small country (Lithuania) was invaded by their huge neighbour (USSR)...

My family on my mother's side came from Latvia under very simular circumstances PoMo. In fact my Grandmother at 86 can speak Latvian, Russian, German, Lithuanian and English. Amazing woman what she has done with her life. To escape the perils of the Russia she swam a semi frozen river with my mother teathered to her back.

As for ANZAC day it's one of the most important days in the Chappo family calendar. My family on my Father side has had a member of each generation involved in every major conflict starting from WW1 and concluding the recent Iraqi one.

As for Jase71 shoot down some other topic mate. FFS find another target to vent your stirring bullsh*t on. Seriously grow up son and have some respect for those who had died doing a job. By all means attack the politicians and the politics of the time but NOT the Digger mate, that's very un-Australian. And FFS don't blame the soldier's on reasons or outcomes they were merely doing a job. Until you've been robbed of someone very close to you by the meaningless of war KEEP YA FARKIN' TRAP SHUT about the ponderings of whether it was worth it and just let us remember them! Cause I can tell I would rather them back.

Nuff said!

My family on my mother's side came from Latvia under very simular circumstances PoMo. In fact my Grandmother at 86 can speak Latvian, Russian, German, Lithuanian and English. Amazing woman what she has done with her life. To escape the perils of the Russia she swam a semi frozen river with my mother teathered to her back.

She's not much older than my Dad who spoke all of those languages and tacked on Yiddish that he picked up in immigration camps as a kid. Now he only has Lithuanian and English, tho. Years of non-use wiped the others from his memory. Dad had a Russian soldier point a pistol at his dad when he was a tot. He jumped in between them and pleaded "Not my dad, don't shoot my dad". The soldier looked at him, smiled and walked away. They missed getting herded onto the cattle trains to Siberia by heading West just a day before the Russians combed their village. Horrible stuff to face that sort of crap. My generation was pretty lucky, I think. No draft wars at all for us, nice isolation to prevent invasions. Very lucky country. I'm really glad my family ended WWII in a camp in the British quarter of Germany.

Yeah my Grandfather, rest his soul, walked my Grandmother with 3 month child (my Mother) across to the liberated Germany to escape the reprises of the Russians. My Grandfather had to fight with the Latvians, then the Germans, the Russians again and the Germans again and then finally the Russians. He decided this situation could not end good so ran with the clothes on their backs once peace was declared. They spent four years in a camp until my grandfather was able to pay for them to relocate to Australia. Apparently he had the choice of the US or Australia as he was a structural bridge engineer, he chose Australia because a Digger had helped him and my grandmother find the camp.

My Grandmother was forced by the German's to lay in a fox hole and throw sticky bombs at tanks if they passed by. Absolutely amasing stuff. The thing is she has such passion in her eyes when recounting the story that I think she actually liked doing it?

Displaced people are sad hangover from any war but then again I guess I wouldn't be here otherwise?

ANZAC day is very much like Christmas and Easter or any other day of observance - it is a day with many meanings to many people, depending on their prespective. My take on ANZAC day is going to be very different to any old digger who'll be marching tomorrow. There's something very spiritual about ANZAC in Australia, very much a phenomenon which, unless you experience it, is very difficult to explain to those outside of it.

Some see it as a day to glorify war, others as a day to remember fallen mates. Others as a day to spend precious moments with others who endured something which probably can't be described unless you've been there.

For me, ANZAC day is one of those very rare things in our young country - a tradition.

Traditions like ANZAC day give a nation identity and character. Should the nation stop celebrating Australia day as there are no members of the First Fleet still alive? Of course not. Days like this are about legends and folklore and passing that reverence to new generations.

I'm a primary school teacher and listened to 'And the band played Waltzing Matilda' with my Yr 5 kids today. There's the line that says, 'And the young people ask,'What are they marching for?' And I ask myself the same question.'

Young people march in place of their relatives, and visit Gallipoli and The Western Front in record numbers because many now want to better understand, many want to carry on the tradition and appreciation of previous generations.

ANZAC day is very much like Christmas and Easter or any other day of observance - it is a day with many meanings to many people, depending on their prespective. My take on ANZAC day is going to be very different to any old digger who'll be marching tomorrow. There's something very spiritual about ANZAC in Australia, very much a phenomenon which, unless you experience it, is very difficult to explain to those outside of it.

Some see it as a day to glorify war, others as a day to remember fallen mates. Others as a day to spend precious moments with others who endured something which probably can't be described unless you've been there.

For me, ANZAC day is one of those very rare things in our young country - a tradition.

Traditions like ANZAC day give a nation identity and character. Should the nation stop celebrating Australia day as there are no members of the First Fleet still alive? Of course not. Days like this are about legends and folklore and passing that reverence to new generations.

I'm a primary school teacher and listened to 'And the band played Waltzing Matilda' with my Yr 5 kids today. There's the line that says, 'And the young people ask,'What are they marching for?' And I ask myself the same question.'

Young people march in place of their relatives, and visit Gallipoli and The Western Front in record numbers because many now want to better understand, many want to carry on the tradition and appreciation of previous generations.

+1 :icon_cheers:

I will remember the ANZACS tomorrow and will raise a glass in there honour.
There are no winners in war.

Cheers
Big D

I will remember the ANZACS tomorrow and will raise a glass in there honour.
There are no winners in war.

Cheers
Big D

Cheers to that. They're a long time dead. A lot longer than 10 years worth left for us to remember them. I'll bet you Jase, if you lost someone you would not stop missing them after your 10 year rememberance deadline is up.
Cheers
Steve

This is my final word on this subject. Jase you are a peanut, a clown , a god damn .... I bet in your 38 years of life you have never once told your boss that you will work a public holiday as if it were a normal weekday. I bet you have taken the extra cash paid to those that work public holidays. And I bet you have enjoyed that BBQ with mates on those public holidays. A day when we remember those that have fallen. Those that have actually meant something to us as either a family member or friend.

ANZAC day is a day to remember family and friends that have died. It is not a political day for blokes like you that think hypocrisy and atrocity should have light shed upon them. "Free tibet" F*^K me mate, look in your own backyard and realise that we have problems here in Australia too.

ANZAC day is a day to celebrate and remember the fallen. Not a day to celebrate war and death. Pull your head out of your death metal music and your arse and realise that for the majority of Australians, be it naturally born here or imigarated, this is a time to reflect on those they love. Not a time to protest and act like wankers.

Tomorrow stay home with a fist where it belongs. Do not go out and have a beer with mates and certainly don't stain this great country with your shit political agenda. No body cares to hear it.

I am a proud Australian, who is willing to put my life on the line for this great country. I am a serving member of the defence force and I will always remember those that have fallen. Be it WW1 or East Timor. They fight with courage and honour. Something that you IMHO lack, sitting at your computer in the safety of your home away from any human contact.

...I am a proud Australian, who is willing to put my life on the line for this great country. I am a serving member of the defence force and I will always remember those that have fallen. Be it WW1 or East Timor. They fight with courage and honour...

+1 Mate

Anytime ya want a beer HK it would be an honour to me to do so. Remember mateship, loyalty, honour and bravery built this country.

Interesting thread, concluding ( :ph34r: ) with the Australian True Blue spirit shining through boldly and strongly as it should in this great country.

I am proud being an Australian, and honoured by what our service men and women have bestowed upon us over the past 200+ years.

I shall be having a beer or ten tomorrow in the ANZAC's honour. :icon_cheers:

Lest we forget

She's not much older than my Dad who spoke all of those languages and tacked on Yiddish that he picked up in immigration camps as a kid. Now he only has Lithuanian and English, tho. Years of non-use wiped the others from his memory. Dad had a Russian soldier point a pistol at his dad when he was a tot. He jumped in between them and pleaded "Not my dad, don't shoot my dad". The soldier looked at him, smiled and walked away. They missed getting herded onto the cattle trains to Siberia by heading West just a day before the Russians combed their village. Horrible stuff to face that sort of crap. My generation was pretty lucky, I think. No draft wars at all for us, nice isolation to prevent invasions. Very lucky country. I'm really glad my family ended WWII in a camp in the British quarter of Germany.

Hey rob, my wife's grandparents were russian, who escaped from russia to latvia in the war, and ended up here via germany after the war. Dont know too many details, but from the sounds of it, it was better to be in latvia than to be in russia, and they were russian!!.

Looks like this wasn't as good a battle for you as Christmas or Australia Day Jase.

I'm with everyone else on here... ANZAC Day isn't about celebrating war or political conspiracies. It's about remembering those who have fallen.

Cheers to the diggers.

Lest We Forget

Im ex-army and will be at dawn service. anyone who slags off ANZAC day needs to have a hard look at themselves. We remember those who fell, not the war in which they fell. two seperate issues. We arent remember a particular battle (like independence day or simialr), we remember whose who fought and died.

Independence Day?
What`s that got to do with Oz and Anzac Day?:lol:
You keep saying you`ve done some course in law study, you come across as well.. a bit dumb, if you don`t mind me saying.

stagga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back