Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scon said:
They look delish. What wood did you smoke them with? Hickory?
Yeah, hickory, they were damn tasty. I'll follow your advice next time & brine longer & leave them out in the fridge for a while to dry out the skin.

Sort of smoking...maybe ?

Spit roast chicken and lamb leg. Tasty !

20140830_183506.jpg

had my first run with the smokai. worked really well over 6 hours and no refill.
did pulled pork which was well received by all here. i look forward to the calzones ill be making with the left overs.

Got my fathers day present early... Put the last of my charcoal through it last night to burn the wax off the grills, put some oil on all inside surfaces like the instructions told me to and just to see how it goes. It needs a lot more charcoal than my old BBQ but that was just a small and crappy Weber knockoff that could do a decent sized chicken if I only coals on one side and rotated the chicken 1/2 way through the cook.
It will need some modifications before I am completely happy with it but it is a nice BBQ considering I only paid $305 delivered to my door.

Anyway Here it is The Char Grill Smoking Pro.

4MzCfnEl.jpg

h8PFb81l.jpg

We will have to see if I have enough time this weekend to do a cook, I need to get a few bags of charcoal before I do anything. I just hope emberpak is still open I got 4 20kg bags from them last time and the last BBQ was really economical (read about the same size as the firebox on the new BBQ).

browndog said:
WOW Punkal, you must be well loved.
Well I had to pitch in $105 of my own hard earned pocket money to get it but yes I guess I am well loved.

I can't wait to test it out. I really want to do some beef jerky and a beer can chicken, the old BBQ was not tall enough, I could fit 6 in this one.

I have jumped into this world also,

Got myself a ProQ Frontier smoker.

So far have done a not too bad pork roast, and the best roast chicken I have ever had.

Im looking forward to trying a brisket.

Just did the first pork shoulder for the season in celebration of becoming an uncle yesterday! Paired up with an AIPA this is heaven!

uploadfromtaptalk1411868459254.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1411868475782.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1411868492993.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1411868521952.jpeg

SWMBO and I just got a small offset smoker a few weeks back. We've seasoned it and now I'm looking to fire it up for the first time.

I've got charcoal and a bag of hickory chips from Bunnings and I'm planning to try it out on some cheap woolies sausages and bacon.

As a total newbie, I've been looking at some youtube clips and notice a lot of people are burning large chunks of wood on charcoal in this style of smoker but I only have wood chips...

Question, can I use the chips in this smoker?

...and if so, how do I go about doing this?

Light charcoal using fire lighters, add wood chips for smoke

Start with a few first, add as required

Cheers Seaquebrew,

I've soaked the chips in water and added them directly to the hot charcoals. also put some in a smoker tray and dropped that on top just for good measure.

I'm planning to cooked the bacon, woolworths beef sausages and some marinated chicken wings that were on special for 2 hours at 71'c (165'f). I'm hoping that'll be long enough.

Right now I'm just fiddling with the oxygen intake trying to get my temp right :p

No worries

My smoker has been going since early this morning with a pork shoulder in it

Smells good

Seaquebrew said:
No worries

My smoker has been going since early this morning with a pork shoulder in it

Smells good
How large was the shoulder? Mine was about 4kg and took 15 hours. It hits that stall and takes a long time from then.

Seaquebrew said:
Light charcoal using fire lighters, add wood chips for smoke
Start with a few first, add as required
I wouldn't use fire lighters, personally. Only ever wood kindling and paper.

That accelerant smell/flavour is a bit nasty.

Understand your reluctance

Redhead lighters don't give off any odours

Never use self lighting heat beads, they are just plain funky

I have these lighters from BBQ galore that are compressed cardboard with no chemicals added for flammability, work really well and have zero bad flavours.

menoetes said:
Cheers Seaquebrew,

I've soaked the chips in water and added them directly to the hot charcoals. also put some in a smoker tray and dropped that on top just for good measure.

I'm planning to cooked the bacon, woolworths beef sausages and some marinated chicken wings that were on special for 2 hours at 71'c (165'f). I'm hoping that'll be long enough.

Right now I'm just fiddling with the oxygen intake trying to get my temp right :p
I'm no guru but I wouldn't get in the habit of cooking that long of time for that low of temp, correct me if I'm wrong but that's prime nasty bug breeding temp range??? Only being concerned with the snags of course and if u have an easily upset stomach.

Again I could be way off here, so jump in food guru's.

I've never cold smoked, and I never hot smoke below 105*c.

Seaquebrew said:
Understand your reluctance

Redhead lighters don't give off any odours

Never use self lighting heat beads, they are just plain funky
I use the white redhead fire lighters for my wood heater and they definitely smell like kerosene when first lit up. Smell does disappear quickly though. They work a shitload better then the cheaper bunnings brand ones.

Latest posts

Back