Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's to do with how long you hold the internal temp at that temp as to how quickly the bugs die off. A lot quicker at high temp. But temps in the low fifties are ok as long as the cook times are adjusted . if you take a look at this link and look at bacteria temps it gives you an idea of the temps.https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=lNcnVJeJA4268gXR-4LgBg&url=http://www.cookingissues.com/uploads/Low_Temp_Charts.pdf&cd=3&ved=0CCAQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNEqkhutsPoPSNZfW5XcCMf3FFhZpQ&sig2=5XGj61YgjL2nX3rlzmad_w

110 to 130 deg C is what I do for low and slow cooking

Pork wrapped in foil and towel resting, pulled pork rolls later

Sausage was excellent, cook and 4 legged chef, confirmed

Pork scratchings made from the skin also didn't last long

Cheers

Good stuff there. I haven't smoked for a little while.

I might have to do a pork belly next weekend.

A couple of hours with hickory on the charcoal BBQ, then into home-made BBQ sauce in the oven for 4-5hrs @120°C.

To finish, 30mins under the grill to get the skin all nice, like.

Crusty rolls and spicy apple slaw...YES !

Besides the health concerns of smoking at 71C, chicken goes chewy that low (because you'll be cooking for longer)
I usually do mine at 140-150C for 2 hours
Everything else at around 110C

Also with chicken I don't use wood chips, just have a bowl of water with some herbs, garlic and sliced lemons in it to keep the moisture and flavour levels boosted

shaunous said:
I'm no guru but I wouldn't get in the habit of cooking that long of time for that low of temp, correct me if I'm wrong but that's prime nasty bug breeding temp range??? Only being concerned with the snags of course and if u have an easily upset stomach.

Again I could be way off here, so jump in food guru's.

I've never cold smoked, and I never hot smoke below 105*c.
No guru either
but certain items can be cold smoked but it should be done under the right conditions

but all this talk of smoking and slow cooking
is making me hungry
!!!!!!!!!

I don't use firelighters at all anymore, I use one of these

632559_front200.jpg

Either with charcoal in a chimney or just light a couple of chunks, also use it to start the inside fireplace. Of course it's useful for many other jobs @ home.
Box of 4 cylinders at bunnies is pretty cheap, would work out cheaper than firelighters but it's just more fun anyway.

Yeah next time I'll cook at a higher temp, I wasn't certain of how well the meat was done in the end and popped everything in the over for 15min after smoking to make sure it was finished off. The chicken skin did go quite chewy but it still all tasted super smoky and I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt. Next time I'll be cooking at over 110'c.

Yes Seamad, I use a chimney too.

Ghetto style, made out of a big tomato tin punched full of holes. Gets the coles nice and ashy pretty quick.

Last night in the Weber....My best one yet. This was amazing!

2 kg shoulder. 3 hours of hickory at about 100, a couple hours at 150 with a few chips every so often, then wrapped in foil and cranked to 200 for two hours. Rest for 30....the pics explain.

OLkBqMVl.jpg

A3k18z7l.jpg

Yeah, It was nice man. I'd planned to use the leftovers and try making some sticky pork buns this arvo, but we ate the rest for breakfast.

I don't blame you. Probably wouldn't have made it until the morning with me and beer around haha.

NRL GrandFinal Day pulled pork. Damn it was good. 4.5kg, skin cut off and made into crackling. Mmmmmmmm

pork2.JPG

Hot smoked a side of salmon and a chook on the weekend. Salmon was cured in brine with some maple syrup , brown sugar and a few fennel seeds for 6 hours then left in fermenter fridge at 2.0C with computer fan running for 24 hours. Chook was cured in plain brine/sugar with curing salt #1 ( because I like the taste it gives ) for 12 hours and put in the fridge with the salmon to equalize for 12 hours. Put in the primo @ 95C with some spotted gum left over from my deck and some cherry wood chunks as well. Let temp rise to 105C and cooked both until they hit 71C, about 6.5 hours for the salmon and 8.5 for the chook. Bloody delicious. Made some kedgeree for dinner last night with the salmon, the kids were still talking about it this morning. Still have over a kilo of salmon left, hope there is some left for scrambled eggs for Sunday morning brekkie.

Hi Fellas

Have been given the go ahead to get an electric smoker.

Am currently leaning toward the Hark version. I was almost sold on the masterbuilt 40" gen 2 preorder http://www.mistygully.com.au/masterbuilt-40-100cm-gen-2-electric-smoker-pre-order-special-window-door/ but after reading through a bunch of US forums they seem to be plagued with issues over the gen 1 and has made me a little hesitant to go down that road.

In any event I've found a little bit of info on the Hark version and was wondering if anyone is using one - thoughts?

Also am looking to get one of the a maze pellet smokers - does any one forsee an issues runnings this the electric hark?

Cheers

Cheers

Cortez The Killer said:
Hi Fellas

Have been given the go ahead to get an electric smoker.

Am currently leaning toward the Hark version. I was almost sold on the masterbuilt 40" gen 2 preorder http://www.mistygully.com.au/masterbuilt-40-100cm-gen-2-electric-smoker-pre-order-special-window-door/ but after reading through a bunch of US forums they seem to be plagued with issues over the gen 1 and has made me a little hesitant to go down that road.

In any event I've found a little bit of info on the Hark version and was wondering if anyone is using one - thoughts?

Also am looking to get one of the a maze pellet smokers - does any one forsee an issues runnings this the electric hark?

Cheers

Cheers

Hey mate,

Good to see you posting again... anyways...

I run an electric Hark and it is awesome. the temp control is so usable. Set and forget.

You can do jerky, slow and low any meat, ribs, shoulder etc... Some will argue that with out wood or charcoal you will miss out on flavours, I disagree, with the electric Hark you can run chips and smoke the bejeebus out of what ever you want to cook.

As with brewing temp control is key, the electric Hark gives you this advantage, set and forget.

My 2c.

Beef Koftas, done on the charcoal BBQ with a handful of hickory.

Straight up delicious, son !

20141012_172953.jpg

Danwood said:
Beef Koftas, done on the charcoal BBQ with a handful of hickory.

Straight up delicious, son !
Could you give us a recipe for those perchance?

It was a bit off the top of my head, but here goes...

500g beef mince (not too lean, fat needs to drip onto the coals)
1 small onion, fine dice.
1/2 capsicum, fine dice.
1/2cup soaked sultanas, rough chop.
1lg clove garlic, fine dice.
Zest of 1 medium orange.
1tsp cumin.
1tsp ground coriander.
1tsp mustard seeds.
1/2 tsp turmeric.
1/2 tsp sumac.

Toast spices for a few minutes in a bit of olive oil, add onion, garlic and capsicum, cook until onion is translucent.

Leave to cool then hand mix everything together.

Form into sausages around skewers. Burgers or balls will do if you've got no skewers.

Leave to firm up in the fridge for a bit so they're easier to handle.

Fairly healthy kebab, so long as you don't reach for the garlic mayo. I'd have included chilli too, if it was just me eating, but I made do with a few shakes of my smoked Birdseye chilli and garlic powder.

Latest posts

Back