Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timing the actual smoke day is a hassle for me. 24hrs for the salt / sugar mix, another 12hrs in the fridge for the pellicle to develop then 6hrs in the smoker if the temps are favourable. It's just a bit of a PITA to get everything matched up.
I've seen people using a small working fridge somewhere in google land, I'll keep looking.
My original plan was to keep the heat source seperate & pipe it to the smoker like your awesome barrel smoker but I want a bit more flexability to smoke when I want instead of when I can.

2kg pork scotch fillet from Aldi.

After 20 hours at 100 degrees
FlxKLlgl.jpg

A little peek behind the kimono
KBLMEjql.jpg

The full monty
9aPc0B8l.jpg

She was moist, juicy, and very, very tasty. Well worth the wait.

Needless to say, I had pork dreams that night.

doon said:
I did a piece of pickled pork yesterday. 8 hours at 110 with hickory for first 3 hours. Rested it then into fridge over night. Bugger me its awesome!
Any pics mate? Looking to try something similar.

Will pop some up when im home in the morning. I have already hacked into it though haha

shaunous said:
That what looks to be a deep frying oil 20L drum :) Is that your cold smoking chamber?
It looks the goods mate.
Sure is. Got this off ebay to go inside. Smokes for 12 hours.

image.jpg

Crusty said:
Timing the actual smoke day is a hassle for me. 24hrs for the salt / sugar mix, another 12hrs in the fridge for the pellicle to develop then 6hrs in the smoker if the temps are favourable. It's just a bit of a PITA to get everything matched up.
I've seen people using a small working fridge somewhere in google land, I'll keep looking.
My original plan was to keep the heat source seperate & pipe it to the smoker like your awesome barrel smoker but I want a bit more flexability to smoke when I want instead of when I can.
I can't see why you couldn't use a fridge, it's a good idea. Be interested to see how it goes. I just worked backwards with the plan of smoking on a Saturday night. For me I cured for 12 hours, 24 hours in the fridge, then smoked for 12 hours.

SmallFry said:
2kg pork scotch fillet from Aldi.

After 20 hours at 100 degrees

She was moist, juicy, and very, very tasty. Well worth the wait.

Needless to say, I had pork dreams that night.
Ohhh Jebus, that looks amazing!

Alright this thread has inspired me to step up my smoking game

I've had good results on the webber, but it requires more attention than I'm usually willing to invest and therefor don't smoke as often as I would like.

Has anyone used one of these? Hark gas smoker, only $250!
http://www.urbangriller.com.au/product/hark-gas-smoker-patio/

Or would I be a lot better spending the extra money and getting this masterbuilt electric? It is double the price though.
http://www.mistygully.com.au/masterbuilt-30-80cm-electric-hot-smoker/#PhotoSwipe1403532824503

Any advice is very much welcomed!

Ciderman said:
Sure is. Got this off ebay to go inside. Smokes for 12 hours.
How do u ignite the thing?
Im intersted. Would be good to turn my Aldi smoker into a cold smoker also.

StalkingWilbur said:

I've had good results on the webber, but it requires more attention than I'm usually willing to invest and therefor don't smoke as often as I would like.

Or would I be a lot better spending the extra money and getting this masterbuilt electric? It is double the price though.
http://www.mistygully.com.au/masterbuilt-30-80cm-electric-hot-smoker/#PhotoSwipe1403532824503

I use one from Aldi. It looks like a rebadged version of the hark. Works perfectly.

StalkingWilbur said:

Everything I've tried from a Hark smoker has been awesome, I'd go with them (and probably will when I have to move/my smoker dies)

I dont know the measurements of the Aldi smoker WalkingStilbur but its basically the same thing and $150, they come on sale twice a year.

I bought off a guy on ebay for about $25 an extra shelf and door seal kit. Although I havnt sealed the door, or even mounted the factory door latch as the door holds closed perfectly anyway, the extra shelf is awesome.

I've had mine strapped to the back of my ute upright and driven on rough roads, have had it sitting on its back in the back of my patrol wagon also and its not falling to bits. Does a great job.

I will suggest one thing to you Aldi Smoker uses, if your having trouble maintaining that 100-110*c being right on the low end of the gas adjustment, fit a smaller jet and it makes the optimum smoking temp of 110*c right in the middle of the adjustment range. Much easier now.

Has anyone cold smoked in their Aldi/Hark smoker using an A-MAZE-N tray it tube (or a home-made equivalent)? What was your verdict?

shaunous said:
I will suggest one thing to you Aldi Smoker uses, if your having trouble maintaining that 100-110*c being right on the low end of the gas adjustment, fit a smaller jet and it makes the optimum smoking temp of 110*c right in the middle of the adjustment range. Much easier now.
Where would I get one of these smaller jets, and what do they look like?

Prince Imperial said:
Has anyone cold smoked in their Aldi/Hark smoker using an A-MAZE-N tray it tube (or a home-made equivalent)? What was your verdict?
tried it and it works but the hard part is keeping the bloody thing going i found.
as ive said previously im moving to the smokei

Crusty said:
Ciderman said:
I can't see why you couldn't use a fridge, it's a good idea. Be interested to see how it goes. I just worked backwards with the plan of smoking on a Saturday night. For me I cured for 12 hours, 24 hours in the fridge, then smoked for 12 hours.
If your that worried about cold smoking just hot smoke. And 24hrs seems a long time in the fridge, old school guy I know who cold smokes in an old outhouse on his farm, and what I've read and personal experience tells me that 12 hours is enough and NOT to refrigerate any longer then that, can't remember why but it's got something to do with the rub/salts/sugars sucking all the good moisture out if the meat in a cold environment, I think.

Someone on here may know better though.

Ahh, I have seen all the posts about Aldi smoker but being in Perth I've never really looked into them.

Good to know! Cheers :)

StalkingWilbur said:
Ahh, I have seen all the posts about Aldi smoker but being in Perth I've never really looked into them.

Good to know! Cheers :)
Same here SW, can we get Aldi things here? I read awhile ago they were looking at moving here.. but thats probably ages away. Keep us posted on what you decide on!

SmallFry said:
Where would I get one of these smaller jets, and what do they look like?
Any LPG gas joint mate, BBQ place, maybe even Bunnings, but probably better off going into a place where the staff know their business.

It's a tiny little fitting that is basically a threaded brass fitting with a tiny hole in one end that the gas gas out of.
If you follow the end of the hose from the reg to the unit, there is an elbow and just before the burner where it has external holes that draw outside oxygen this gas jet sits. You have to remove the hose and fitting to get to it though.

I think the Aldi jet is about 1mm, and I've replaced it with a .7mm, I think :).

I now get 110*c at half dial instead of nearly all the way off. In summer I can barely get down to 110*c with the standard jet, I had to put it in the shade to do so.

I have made gas ovens ( from old hot water systems ) and used mig welder tips for the jets. You can get them in several sizes and readily available.

Latest posts

Back