Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5am start this morning to put on 3.6kg of pork shoulder for pulled pork at dinner, with ribs to go in a couple of hours time. Was getting up early anyway for local dawn service, so may as well make use of the time :0)

Shoulder at 5am this morning

image.jpg

Shoulder and ribs at 3pm this arvo

image.jpg

Looking forward to tucking into them in a couple of hours time.

I used hickory - a combo of chips and chunks.

Some more shots - shoulder done
image.jpg

Shoulder pulled
image.jpg

Ribs ready to go
image.jpg

I also threw some basic Coles BBQ snags in and hit them with smoke for 30 mins before finishing them on the BBQ. It was an amazing transformation and I would highly recommend it!!

Looks amazing man. Yep the cheapo snags are just awesome. Also try some bacon rashers for 30 mins then finished in the frying pan...so nice.

jyo said:
Looks amazing man. Yep the cheapo snags are just awesome. Also try some bacon rashers for 30 mins then finished in the frying pan...so nice.
I'm pretty lucky - my local butcher makes amazing smoked bacon and kabana so no need to do an additional smoke run. Pretty sure I went to bed dreaming of smoked Coles snags last night ;0)

Anyone know if pickled pork is suitable to smoke? it's going cheap at the butcher this weekend $2.99 a kilo.

cheers

Browndog

Pickled pork is good enough to eat without smoking BDog, but you can smoke any meat really, it's just you wouldn't be able to do pulled pork with it successfully.

brendo said:
I also threw some basic Coles BBQ snags in and hit them with smoke for 30 mins before finishing them on the BBQ. It was an amazing transformation and I would highly recommend it!!
What temp did u smoke the snags at Brendo, normal pulled pork temp at around 110*c???

I got a shitload to do for a party this weekend.

oak tends to be very strong in flavour when used.
its like hickory a little goes a long way.
ive been using the hungarian ones out of my sours to smoke with for years.

Thanks for the replies Brewers, I was of the opinion that people generally boil the shit out of pickled pork to get all the salt out of it. I was thinking that if you don't boil it then it is going to be way too salty to smoke. If I go ahead, I think I'd be inclined to cut all the skin off so the smoke can get in and soak it overnight changing the water occasionally prior to smoking.

browndog said:
Thanks for the replies Brewers, I was of the opinion that people generally boil the shit out of pickled pork to get all the salt out of it. I was thinking that if you don't boil it then it is going to be way too salty to smoke. If I go ahead, I think I'd be inclined to cut all the skin off so the smoke can get in and soak it overnight changing the water occasionally prior to smoking.

I smoked a pickled pork a while ago, and while it was tasty, it was a bit salty. Would reccommend soaking, not that I have done one since, but plan to soak next time I find one on special.

shaunous said:
What temp did u smoke the snags at Brendo, normal pulled pork temp at around 110*c???
I got a shitload to do for a party this weekend.
Yep.... Just the std 110. I only did a real quick smoke on them and just gave them a quick roll on the BBQ - but that was only because it was last minute and I needed to get kids fed.

It's smoker maintenance season
Just bought 2 cans of 1000°C exhaust paint to respray my smoker tomorrow
Then I'll be putting a big lot of chicken wings through for a party next weekend

browndog said:
Anyone know if pickled pork is suitable to smoke? it's going cheap at the butcher this weekend $2.99 a kilo.

cheers

Browndog
If you don't want to smoke the pickled pork then slice it thin marinate it for a couple of days and then dry it in the oven - Jerky!!

Sorry if I have posted this before (in the jerky thread) but here it is again

[SIZE=16pt]Sweet Pork Jerky[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2 tablespoons peanut butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/2 cup of tamari or soy sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 tsp sambal olek – 3 if you want it hotter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]½ large mango pulped or one small one[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 teaspoon castor sugar
1teaspoon garlic powder
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 kilo of pickled pork[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Put all the ingredients except the pork in a sauce pan and place on the stove over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and stir well to make sure all of the ingredients are well combined and the sugar melted, simmer for a couple of minutes then turn off the heat and pour the contents of the pan into a large bowl or container that you will marinate the meat in. Allow to cool completely before adding the meat. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Trim away all the fat and any skin membrane left on it. Cut the meat across the grain into 3cm thick steaks. Put the steaks into the freezer until they are almost frozen then remove one from the freezer. Having the steaks part frozen makes it easier to cut nice even thin strips of meat. Lay a pork steak down with what was the top of the original piece of pork facing the right side if you are right handed or to the left if you are left handed. With a very sharp knife cut 2 – 3mm thick slices from the steak. Cutting along from what was the top of the pork means you are cutting along the grain or with the grain which will help to keep the jerky tender. Once you have cut one steak you can then remove another from the freezer and cut that one. This quantity of marinade is good for about 650g of the thinly cut meat. You should end up with lovely long strips of meat about 3cm wide, 2-3 mm thick and with varying lengths. Put any unused steaks into freezer bags and save for another day. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Place the meat into the marinade and give it a really good mix to make sure all the meat is well coated with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap or a tight fitting lid if using a plastic container and put in the fridge for three days. Give the mixture a mix twice a day once in the morning when you get up and just before you go to bed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Remove the meat from the bowl and lay the pieces flat on several layers of paper towel. Place more layers of paper towel on top and press firmly to soak up excess marinade from the meat. The flavour is in the meat now and you do not want the meat wet when you put it in the oven to dry as it may steam the meat and make it tough. Lay the meat out on wire racks evenly spaced and not touching each other. Put in an oven that is set to 75[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]°- 80°[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]c with the fan on and leave the oven door ajar so that the air can circulate around the oven. It will take around 3 or so hours for the meat to dry depending on how thick you actually ended up cutting the meat, what the temperature is outside and how your oven works. You don’t want to dry it out so much that it crumbles into dust when you take a bite. The meat should be dry but pliable and you should be able to tear it in half with your hands.[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back