Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dips me lid pretty sure he meant you threw everything in but the kitchen sink

doon said:
Dips me lid pretty sure he meant you threw everything in but the kitchen sink
I thought about that after I posted my reply actually, that joke went flying right over my head, I'll put it down to excessive beer consumption and lack of sleep. :chug:

That was the intended joke, terrible as it was.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1.0-9/1491752_10203475507952148_1127726041_n.jpg

Pulled pork. 5 hours low and slow in the Weber with hickory then 2 hours about 180 wrapped in foil until at temp. Man this was bloody good.

1491752_10203475507952148_1127726041_n.jpg

Found a new supplier at Preston market for my ribs:
IMG-20140329-00043.jpg

This guy leaves the pork belly ON the ribs. I went searching for these after realising the usual butcher I use was leaving almost nothing on the ribs, just some meat between the bones. These ones are outstanding. $12.99 a kilo, but each "rack" weighs nearly 500 grams there's so much on them. Here's a pic after I've rubbed 'em:
IMG-20140329-00047.jpg

After they're smoked:
IMG-20140321-00037.jpg

And (partially) eaten:
IMG-20140321-00038.jpg

carniebrew said:
attachicon.gif
IMG-20140329-00043.jpg

This guy leaves the pork belly ON the ribs. I went searching for these after realising the usual butcher I use was leaving almost nothing on the ribs, just some meat between the bones. These ones are outstanding. $12.99 a kilo, but each "rack" weighs nearly 500 grams there's so much on them. Here's a pic after I've rubbed 'em:
attachicon.gif
IMG-20140329-00047.jpg

After they're smoked:
attachicon.gif
IMG-20140321-00037.jpg

And (partially) eaten:
attachicon.gif
IMG-20140321-00038.jpg
Mate they look great !!!!
What say I bring over some home made chipotle mayo ???

I miss Preston market :( Getting elbowed in the face by grannies over a $1 box of eggplants...

When I make bacon these days I get the bellies with ribs in and bone them myself. Usually end up with more meat than if I get them pre boned.

carniebrew said:
attachicon.gif
IMG-20140329-00043.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMG-20140329-00047.jpg

After they're smoked:
attachicon.gif
IMG-20140321-00037.jpg

And (partially) eaten:
attachicon.gif
IMG-20140321-00038.jpg
Care to give up the butcher?

New_guy said:
home made chipotle mayo ???
This sounds interesting. Got the recipe?

No probs, as much as I can anyway....the name is something like Thinh Than or some such? They're at the West (station) end of the meat market, right next to an entrance/exit facing the train station. I hope that's enough info for you to find it. Next time I go I'll take a photo of their name sign and post it.

Wolfman said:
Care to give up the butcher?

This sounds interesting. Got the recipe?
Warning once you make this stuff you will never stop eating it - you will want to bathe in the stuff

Chipotle Mayo

Ingredients:

1 Jar of Good quality Mayo
2 Tablespoons of Sourcream
2 -4 Chipotle Chilli from this tin http://www.delirepublic.com.au/index.php/main-menu/la-morena-chipotle-peppers-in-adobo-sauce.html - I dont know this shop just wanted the picture
Its smoked dried jalapeno's in a spicy tomato sauce -
I buy it at http://casaibericadeli.com.au/ Casa Iberica in Fitzroy and I bet you dont come out of there without a couple of chirizo as well (best in town)

Method
1. Empty mayo into mixing bowl
2. Add sourcream
3. Remove two or more chillis from tin and dice / mince finely
4. Put chillis in mayo mix with a spoon or two of the sauce (try it first on its own)
5. Mix it all up and your good to go

Ducatiboy stu said:
Make your own chipotle by smoking your own chillies.
That takes 48 hours...
What if I keel over before they're ready?

Hot smoked rainbow trout.

4 hours slow smoking over a mix of apple and peach.

IMAG0456.jpg

With some kipfler potatoes fried with garlic and salt and a salad.

Some aioli as a dressing.

Then a college pudding made with some home made quince jam (see the preserving thread....)

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Its not smoked... its steamed...but here is the college pudding. Because it was awesome.

IMAG0460.jpg

Been looking at a pile of bricks that have sat in the chook pen for the last 5 years. 3 pallets in total and a bunch of roof tiles.

Thought i might make a smokehouse out of some of them one day.

Any suggestions on design requirements etc?

Smoke generator will be a 210L drum and pipe it across to allow cold smoking during the so called winter months.

We've done our own ducks before and keen to raise another clutch to the same end plus have a neighbour raising british black pigs crossed with a white boar. First of ours goes to slaughter in 4 weeks. So will be playing with some old bacon recipes.

Martin

Holy shit, those ribs with the pork belly on look amazing. I know what I'm looking for tomorrow.

And just to get in on the fun, a picture from a while ago.

Dry rub with garlic, onion powder,
smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper, cumin and tumeric.

Mop made with apple juice, bbq sauce and cider vinger

Smoked with hickory.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396793402.596082.jpg

Latest posts

Back