Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smallfry, how come you cut them in half and did you dry them completely?

cheers

Browndog

browndog said:
Smallfry, how come you cut them in half and did you dry them completely?

cheers

Browndog
No, just cut the tops off them to allow the smoke to penetrate the skins, and into the flesh.

After 2 hours they're "semi dry", kinda like a semi-dried tomato. For now, they're in the fridge, and I'll decide whether I dry them out completely, or just gobble them all up in the next couple of days :icon_drool2:

8hr slow cooked lamb leg smoked with a mixture of onion & oak pellets plus dried rosemary, thyme and sage in with the pellets. 110c for 3 hours while smoking then 90 for the remainder.

Upload the finished result in 8 hours :p

1393115752201.jpg

Maiden voyage.
Went for the humble old chicken wing.
Smoking over hickory for 2 hours. Will baste with a BBQ sauce a couple of times over the last 45.
All seems to be going well.

Smells rad !

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393131705.795136.jpg

Sully said:
8hrs later..... Nomnomnomnom droooool.... :)
Should be there in around 15 minutes Sully. Poor me a beer, I'll bring my own napkin/bib.

The wings last night were awesome.
Here is the before shot. After looked like 5 birds were mauled !
Very tasty indeed.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393231729.637946.jpg

I was scrolling through the home page and saw the thread title, then saw that it was cocko who had last posted..... like I wasn't going to check

Save the corn cobs. Dried, they produce a nice, sweet smoke.

Old news for some people possibly, but worth a mention.

Nice tip danwood, thanks.

Sorry cocko.

…. you know I will smoke the corn next time now !!! haha. Too curious, sounds great !

Sorry didn't take a before shot. Got up at 3:30 to start the BBQ for dinner party. All that pork I mentioned is now smoking and cooking nicely.

Damn can't post images from my phone for some reason? Forum won't let me...

Pepper Stout Beef.

Sitting around on my RDO watching BBQ videos on Youtube and I decided it was time to smoke up some beef. I got a nice lean cut of Brisket (1kg) from the butcher and coated in mustard and pepper.

329.jpg

Then I cooked up a marinade of Guinness, Garlic, Onions, Carrots, Red Pepper, Malt Vinegar, Dried malt extract, Tabasco, Sriracha Hot Sauce, Beerenburg BBQ sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's Steakhouse sauce, Pepper/Salt. I dumped this on the beef with a couple of rashers of bacon, wrapped it up and let it soak it for a couple of hours. Usually I marinate for a couple of days, but it was a spur of the moment smoke.

331.jpg

Got the smoker up to temp, I use a Chargriller deluxe I bought from Bunnings, left the brisket swimming in the marinade and chucked it in.

334.jpg

Hit it with some Blackwood smoke for 2 hours at 100c, then foiled it for 6 hours at 100c and gave it about half an hour of smoke again before pulling it off. I constantly kept tipping the marinade over the meat for the whole cook to avoid getting the meat dry.

339.jpg

Flavour was incredible, texture was great, it was a really tasty cut of meat, just fell apart into the marinade.
Served it with a simple rocket, tomato, red onion, cheese salad and a pint of my Pale Ale.

Slainte!

340.jpg

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 20
You forgot 'the kitchen sink' ingredient in that marinade, Dips !

Looks fantastic without it too, though. Good work !

Cheers!

What's the 'kitchen sink' ingredient? I've only been smoking for about a year, still a lot to learn.

Latest posts

Back