Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pickled pork is so versitile. You can roast,smoke,fry,boil,dry...just about anything.

Interesting marinade there Paul, looks like a sate sauce.

Yep it is a satay style pickled pork jerky! You could use the sauce on BBQ'd chicken and anything else you feel like.

Just to bring it back on topic here is a pic of some beer brined smoked pork hocks I did a while ago.

pork hocks smoked.jpg

Mercs Own said:
Yep it is a satay style pickled pork jerky! You could use the sauce on BBQ'd chicken and anything else you feel like.

Just to bring it back on topic here is a pic of some beer brined smoked pork hocks I did a while ago.

attachicon.gif
pork hocks smoked.jpg
One of those slowly simmered for a few hours with a load of split peas would make a killer winter soup. Good job.

I did 8kg of chicken wings over the weekend, 1/3 with a dry rub then a bbq sauce in the last 20 minutes, another 1/3 dry rub and buffalo sauce in the last 20 minutes and the last 1/3 with a spicy cajun dry rub and no sauce
The bbq sauced wings went quick smart, most of the cajun wings went but only half the buffalo wings got eaten
Turns out buffalo sauce is rather vinegary, most people aren't a fan I guess
Also, even after baking it at 200°C for a couple of hours, the exhaust paint I bought from super shite auto just rubs off if you brush against it with more than just the force of a feather :(
I really CBF painting it again, might upgrade to a Hark gas fired smoker once this one rusts badly enough

I painted my wood fire heater with high temp paint, and its holding up good on its second winter now. The glossy one is flaking away a little, but its only on the stand bit, the matt finish that I painted the rest with still looks new.

Not sure what brand it was sp0rk, but was only cheap shit spray cans from the local paint store.

I might hit up the local sandblasting joint and see how much it'd be to give it a quick blast and a paint
anything over $150 and I'm probably better off just getting a new smoker

Ciderman said:
Cold smoked a whole salmon a few weeks ago.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
This is what I want to do.
I got myself a cold smoke generator & it's amazing. Even though it's a cold smoker, there is still a small amount of heat generated from the unit. I've found that running it in a small enclosed area is no good unless ambient temps are below 15deg. I ended up scrounging an excellent bar fridge from the local council clean up & wondering if anyone has used a working fridge as a cold smoker so it can be done all year round. I'll ask some questions over @ the Aussie BBQ smoke forum too & see how I go. Anyone out there in AHB land doing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
just talked the wife in to letting me have one. will be ordering soon and permanently mounting to my hark clone

I did a piece of pickled pork yesterday. 8 hours at 110 with hickory for first 3 hours. Rested it then into fridge over night. Bugger me its awesome!

Crusty said:
This is what I want to do.
I got myself a cold smoke generator & it's amazing. Even though it's a cold smoker, there is still a small amount of heat generated from the unit. I've found that running it in a small enclosed area is no good unless ambient temps are below 15deg. I ended up scrounging an excellent bar fridge from the local council clean up & wondering if anyone has used a working fridge as a cold smoker so it can be done all year round. I'll ask some questions over @ the Aussie BBQ smoke forum too & see how I go. Anyone out there in AHB land doing it?

Nice looking machine. Temperature is really key for cold smoking so I'd be looking at attaching a hose or pipe to let it cool down. I'll post a better picture of mine, but it travels 3 meters from the source of the smoke to the actual smoker. Being in Brisbane i smoke at night time and winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
That what looks to be a deep frying oil 20L drum :) Is that your cold smoking chamber?

It looks the goods mate.

Back