Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfman said:
Got some ribs goingand have a couple of questions.

My smoke only goes for 20-40 mins? Is this correct? Should the smoke go for longer?

Using the Aldi gas smoker at 230F.

Cheers
it would depend on how much smoke you like and the type of wood used.

marksfish said:
it would depend on how much smoke you like and the type of wood used.
Not to strong that it tastes like a bushfire. Using hickory at the moment as thats all I have.

Having trouble getting my head around this. Hahahahahaha might be time to stop pouring pots?

as you dont like a strong smoke flavor and hickory is one of the strongest tasting woods 20 minutes should do you. but as always try it and you can add or subtract next time. there is no reason to stop downing a pot or three.

Cheers mate, where all on track. Looking the GOODS!

I use hickory chunks, each chunk weighs about 100g

For a good smokey flavour I put a new chunk on every 30 minutes, so 2 hours of smoking, 400g. And then I might roast for another ten to 20 hours!

Start slow. Over smoked food sucks :(

Stux said:
I use hickory chunks, each chunk weighs about 100g
For a good smokey flavour I put a new chunk on every 30 minutes, so 2 hours of smoking, 400g. And then I might roast for another ten to 20 hours!
Start slow. Over smoked food sucks :(
Where do you get the chunks from?

BBQs Galore

2.4kg for 16 or 20$, can't quite remember the price.

sean83 said:
Hey Jayahhdee,

I recently purchased the Pro Q, it is the ducks nuts especially for the price compared to the webber smokey mountain. I also like a few extra aspects that come with it. There are pre drilled holes for thermometers, hanging racks in the hood for fish or meat and also the snap lock fittings to open and close levels (this is so good when first learning). I am not sure if the WSM have changed there design but if they havent then this would be my buy again.

Sean
Can you use these like a traditional weber kettle, ie not smoking and doing a roast in 1.5-2 hr ?
My old weber kettle is almost stuffed and may get one of these if it can smoke slow and roast fast.
cheers
sean

I gave our apple tree a serious haircut on the weekend and kept a good number of finger thick and wrist thick branches. I have them drying atm and can't wait to chop them up to use for smoking. The neighbour's nectarine tree has quite a lot of deadwood on it that is hanging over our fence, think I'll snip at it 'on demand'. Can't wait for Easter to do a bit of a smoke-fest.
I suppose the smaller the chunks, the more smoke produced and the larger the chunks, perhaps less smoke but longer lasting? Would this be the concensus?

Malted said:
I gave our apple tree a serious haircut on the weekend and kept a good number of finger thick and wrist thick branches. I have them drying atm and can't wait to chop them up to use for smoking. The neighbour's nectarine tree has quite a lot of deadwood on it that is hanging over our fence, think I'll snip at it 'on demand'. Can't wait for Easter to do a bit of a smoke-fest.
I suppose the smaller the chunks, the more smoke produced and the larger the chunks, perhaps less smoke but longer lasting? Would this be the concensus?
Read this:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

phoneyhuh said:
Cheers for the link, looks like I was on track: "Size matters. For long cooks, chunks of wood from golf ball to baseball size work best. They burn more cooly, smolder and last longer, while chips and pellets tend to combust and disappear more quickly. For short cooks, like a steak, chicken, or fish, small chips and especially pellets work best because they produce more smoke in a short burst."

amazingribs is a fantastic site with hours of reading and interesting takes on the whole process of bbqing.

We had a crew over on the weekend and I was told 'my' smoked ribs had to be on the menu.

I have found the 3,2,1 method pretty fail safe so went with that - pork baby back style ribs this is...

So, did the first 3 hours of smoke, chips ran dry about 2 1/2 hours, so left it for the last 1/2.

Wrapped in foil at the 3 hour mark and lost track of time so they were wrapped for about 2 1/2...

Un wrapped them and gave them another hour, all at 107* celsius.

BEST. RIBS. EVER.

Also, the new addition of a home made PLUM BBQ sauce was like the lord him/her self was flavouring them!

Sorry no pix, too busy entertaining and drinking etc...

But had to share this sauce:

[I used Apple cider vinegar as had no red wine vinegar - awesome!]

http://www.food.com/recipe/plum-barbecue-sauce-260089

Cheers!

The Rub:

Ingredients:

1 cup Sugar

1/2 cup Coarse Salt

1 tbs. Garlic Powder

1 tbs. Cayenne Powder

1 tbs. Ground Cumin

3-4 tbs. Paprika

1 tbs.Pepper

1 tsp. Ground Celery Seeds

Plum sauce looks ok mate. I do plum sauce that is more towards the sweet chinese style by adding a jar of noname supermarket plum jam to a saucepan with a stack of grated ginger (probably 2-3 tbsp) some hot chilli oil, sechuan pepper corns toasted and ground, white pepper. Heat and cook for a while then turn off and add fine chopped shallot and chive or leave out and decorate the top of the sauce with the herbs if you are not going to use it all.
That way you can stick it back in the jar and put it in the fridge for ever.

Just remove the label so it doesn't go on your toast :D

Also, the new addition of a home made PLUM BBQ sauce was like the lord him/her self was flavouring them!
With 10 bottles of homemade plum sauce in our pantry, the thought of this is giving me half a chub. I will have to try something like this at Easter. Who knows, if we do this even the Lord himself might visit us over Easter? Resurrection Ribs anyone?

Smoking snags. I bought 5kgs of castlemain snags and every time I smoke them they shrivel. I have read if you wash them in cold water after smoking they won't shrivel? What do you do? I won't kanskey type snags.

Back