Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cranked the smoker up the other day. Home made Sausage (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/15837-the-sausage-thread/page-10#entry1030023) and ribs!

IMG_1540.JPG

Rubbing the Ribs

IMG_1541.JPG

Into the smoker

IMG_1542.JPG

Adding the Sausages

IMG_1543.JPG

Sausages Done!

IMG_1544.JPG

Ribs Done!

IMG_1546.JPG

Smoked Sausage packed and ready for the freezer.

They taste amazing out of the smoker!

Looks awesome wolfman. Just bought ourselves a kick arse mincer so I'm hoping to do a batch of snags this weekend. Love your cold-smoker, where'd you get it from?

Cheers mate. It's a Hark rip off from Aldi. It will do till I upgrade to an electric.

What sort of mincer did you get?

Ah, I remember seeing those at Aldi - I currently only hotsmoke using a weber kettle, but am looking at jerry rigging up some ac ducting and various things to hopefully be able to get some kind of cold smoking action happening.

The mincer I got is one of these: http://www.internationalcatering.com.au/product/meat-mincer-no-8/ - overkill for our needs, but we're getting half a pig next month and am keen to get more into making sausages/curing etc.

Yesterday, smoked some full Beef ribs...

By full I mean, in the pics, they are in a Hark electric and on a 12" pizza tray.

Fred Flinstone styles! Yabba Dabba F'kin DO!

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

Im sorry but when i saw the title i was immediately reminded of this :

seriously though I am keen to get into the smoking.
I wonder if my wife regrets saying hey why dont you get that home brew kit yet??

edit - embedding video clearly isn't my thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cocko said:
Yesterday, smoked some full Beef ribs...

By full I mean, in the pics, they are in a Hark electric and on a 12" pizza tray.

Fred Flinstone styles! Yabba Dabba F'kin DO!
Good thing is when the dogs come beggin' round you can beat 'em off with a rib! Or the brontosaurus! ;0)

Mardoo said:
Good thing is when the dogs come beggin' round you can beat 'em off with a rib! Or the brontosaurus! ;0)

We took the ribs to my Inlaws for the old mans birthday dinner, as a bit of an entree sort of.... We all ripped through them, carved the meat off and trimmed the fat..... Father inlaw has a short legged Jack Russel.

We gave him a bone and he could hardly stand up, from the weight and his tail wagging so hard... the old man let him out to go and eat it outside, this is the funniest part - he kept hitting the bone on the door frame and couldn't work out how to get through the door with it... classic.

If only his name was Dino.

OK, so I built a UDS late last year. I must admit, I'm still having problems getting my ribs right. They end up dry - I think I'm leaving them on too long and they're not eating with a moistness that I'd expect. I've been using the 3-2-1 method, at around 120degC. Any hints here would be great!

Some pics from my smoking journeys:

Various pork bits - experimenting

nl1wsVY.jpg

The beast in action

k5UvLT3.jpg

A leg of lamb

AOW4NeC.jpg

Random dinner

Cheers - Mike

Anyone running the Bradley here? I have recently acquired one and it seems to work a treat thus far!

Cpt Suds said:
Anyone running the Bradley here? I have recently acquired one and it seems to work a treat thus far!
im not,but i have a masterbuilt electric smoker,,i find doing smaller pork shoulder like 4kg they turn out a bit dry,but a 8-9kg pork shoulder for 22hours comes out perfect,i think it because the element turns on and off alot and to set to anytemp,just cuts off when the heat gets to what ever you set it,,,,,,,might turn one of my old webbers into a little gas smoker that way it just sit at the one temp,where my electric one must have a 5-10deg up and down in temp i think and thats why i get a dry smaller pice of meat(havent been able to do a good briskit ether ,
is the bradley smoker take the disks of wood, i brought a smoke daddy and attached to mine and it works so much better you can use chunks or chips and even pellets in it,

Better post my results from last weekend
Finally broke in my home made 44 gallon drum smoker (ex malt extract drum)
I had some red gum branches laying round that I'm getting turned up into tap handles, so i chipped one up with a tomahawk and smoked with that

First up for lunch was some thick woolies snags
cooked at around 110-120 degrees for an hour and a bit

They were juicy and delicious, couldn't tell they were woolies sausages

and then for dinner was a beer can chook, with some of my Fuller's London Pride clone, chopped onion, diced garlic, apple cider vinegar and some seasoning in the can as well
did a basic rub of salt, pepper, thyme and paprika
It was on for 3 & 1/2 hours at 120 degrees
I hindsight I either used WAY too much wood, or Red Gum is too strong for my tastes, as it was almost all you could taste through the breast meat
The leg and thigh was a bit better, but the taste was still really prominent
besides that it was perfect, perfectly juicy and tender, even after 3 days in the fridge when i used it for lunch meat
YSzTupf.jpg

after an hour and a half

XKpWNSH.jpg

just before carving

Doing some beef ribs later this week to practice for my birthday shindig next weekend :)

Just had left-over pulled lamb shoulder I smoked yesterday for 8 hours at around 110degC. Used Apple and a touch of Aussie Redgum. Still tastes fantastic!

Lamb shoulder1.jpg

Lamb shoulder2.jpg

Having a brewday tomorrow with a few of the locals coming around to 'help' with brewing a smoked Porter. Thought it would be fitting to have pulled pork for lunch.

This is a Boston Butt with shoulder ribs still attached. Was going to remove the ribs but in the end thought I'd see how they fare with the rest of the cut.
It's been injected with apple juice, salt, sugar, Pilsner and Worcestershire sauce. Then dry rubbed with a mixture of goodies.

Boston Butt 1.jpg

Then passed over to the Traeger so it can do its magic.

Boston Butt 2.jpg

Using a mixture of apple and alder hardwood. I'm expecting about a 16-20 hour cook with this one. Hope the heathens are hungry tomorrow!

Just put 2 kilos of beef ribs into the smoker
1kg of racks, dry rubbed with some random spices,chilli and sugar
1kg of cross cut honey and soy ribs
1 cup of hickory chips
P1030382.JPG

P1030383.JPG

put them on around 1:15pm and they're smelling great already

I love combining herbs and spices in the smoker (webber) as well as wood.

It's easy. Save up all your dry, papery garlic peels (not the cloves) for a nice mild garlic flavour. Wet rosemary for a sweet flavour.

Just throw them on the charcoal... done.

A tad off topic maybe!!! Although it could give some members a few Ideas.

I made this spit in 2 or 3 days with parts from the Tip! work and home...

The drive is a 76 Mazda wiper motor and bike parts, The stainless shaft assembly I made at work as well as the fire box, The cylinder I found at the tip...

This is my second attempt at making a "Spit". I think I have cracked it. I have had a party of 8 comment that it cooks the best pork roast that they have ever had. It is fired by wood for the flavor and gas to help retain the temps. I put a gauge in the lid and I found 220c was a good temperature for 2kg of meat. Not Bad for **** all.

Lets take it a step further and make it a Spit and smoker :ph34r:

Picture002.jpg

Latest posts

Back