Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this one on ANZAC Day. Boneless pork shoulder, 2 hours of hickory at about 90' then cranked up the heat for another 2 hours. Removed the crackling (as you can see) and put the crackle over the coals until crunchy :icon_drool2: This was so awesome!

935006_10201108209291161_9624153_n.jpg

i normally do 1hour at around 100 with ether a handful of chips or pellets.
which ones you use is up to you.
forgot to take pics today but it was a beef fillet done for 2 hours on sand apple and plum wood.

Currently building myself a smoker/spit out of a 44 gallon LME drum that i got from my local brew your own joint
first coat of paint went on yesterday, I'll try and get a couple of pics up this afternoon

Wolfman said:
Right O no pics but the snags worked out a treat. I follow the instructions here http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/smoked-sausage.html Smoked for an hour, soaked in cold water, reheated in frying pay and into the belly! Not dry and not shriveled! Just nice and plump!
Reading through that link he says you must use a cure if you are going to smoke your sausages, ie sodium nitrate.

Is this really necessary if they are hot smoked and then refrigerated or frozen? I thought as long as the internal temperature of the sausage gets above a safe level during the hot smoking there should be no risk of botulism?

How many people out there are using sodium nitrate when making these sort of things? I'm keen to get into this sort of thing but I'd prefer not to use sodium nitrate. From reading various things on the net I'm starting to think it might be more the americans over reacting to the threat of botulism.

I didn't make these from scratch so can't answe the botulism question. I just ensured the internal temp was correct. I left them in cold water then reheated them before eating.

Going to smoke me some more snags!

Tossing up right now whether to make an offset smoke chamber or not...

I'm about to press the button on a Pro Q unit. Anyone else running these? It is this or a much more expensive Weber Smokey Mountain, so looking to save some $ if the Pro Q's are viable.

Apparently the Pro Q is a good unit, I would like one myself but I just can't justify buying another smoker when the one I have gets nearly no use...

Thanks, having trawled every pro q thread I could find, which is not that many, it seems there a build quality issues in early models, some ongoing concerns with handles breaking, porcelain coating being haphazardly applied, and variable heat issues. Weber Smokey Mountain, while $300 bucks more, has a cult following the size of scientology and without the aliens. I'm going to save for an extra couple of weeks and get the WSM.

MashPaddler said:
Thanks, having trawled every pro q thread I could find, which is not that many, it seems there a build quality issues in early models, some ongoing concerns with handles breaking, porcelain coating being haphazardly applied, and variable heat issues. Weber Smokey Mountain, while $300 bucks more, has a cult following the size of scientology and without the aliens. I'm going to save for an extra couple of weeks and get the WSM.
Sorry Mash paddler haven't been on for awhile. I have had the pro q for awhile now and haven't had any dramas in fact I love it more than my wife somedays. I too have seen the cult following of the WSM and probably the biggest plus from a build point of view is the increased size of the drums now and also the larger doors. Mine is a brand new model of the pro q and I haven't seen any build concerns but that is just me.

I should add as well if I had my time over again, I wouldnt hesitate on the pro q.

Sean

Oh you are evil Sen83 - I had just convinced myself of the WSM! Do you have the frontier or the larger excel model?

MashPaddler said:
Oh you are evil Sen83 - I had just convinced myself of the WSM! Do you have the frontier or the larger excel model?
I have the excel mate - but if looking at investing in a second one I would probably go the frontier. I find the excel is awesome for size, but when just cooking for me swmbo we really dont occupy the space all the time. It also takes longer to reach temps compared to the frontier. However on the flip side when I am in a smoking mood (most weekends these days it appears) the extra space allows for more food (obviously). So much so that a fortnight ago I was able to do 2kgs of wings a 1kg pulled pork shoulder butt and a beef and pork mince jalepeno fatty all at the same time on the Saturday. Then slow cooked smoked wings and beef jerky on the Sunday. Not sure I could fit all that in on just the frontier.

But if I had two smokers.... one of each....

sp0rk said:
Tossing up right now whether to make an offset smoke chamber or not...
After seeing Sqyre's two chamber smoker i would defiantly go that route. Can go from a cold smoker to oven easily .

Latest posts

Back