Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like your work TTB.Co.

It certainly fits as an American Smoker. Low slow cooking with speciality wood(s) with a rotating spit.

You're on to a winner. Just don't get your meat from the tip. hahaha

:)

I'm happy with it **** yeah!!! When not in Spit mode and I was able to inclose the tank and then run a duct into another chamber I should have a cold smoker Too...

I could market this!!!!

MVZOOM said:
OK, so I built a UDS late last year. I must admit, I'm still having problems getting my ribs right. They end up dry - I think I'm leaving them on too long and they're not eating with a moistness that I'd expect. I've been using the 3-2-1 method, at around 120degC. Any hints here would be great!

Some pics from my smoking journeys:

Various pork bits - experimenting

nl1wsVY.jpg

The beast in action

k5UvLT3.jpg

A leg of lamb

AOW4NeC.jpg

Random dinner

Cheers - Mike
Add a steel camping mug for example to the rack filled with water for moisture. You should be able to drop the temp in that UDS to 100-110 which would help heaps too. I also baste especially for the last hr to keep them moist. Consider dropping the time back to 2-2-1. I love my UDS. I have a gas kettle that I smoked in for ages before I really caught the bug and built my UDS.

Did a leg of lamb last week, no pics. Was a little unsure of how it would turn out. WOW! Highly recommend.

Lamb is a favourite at home. Lemon and lime brine for a few hrs. Redgum & Blackbox Smoke for 3, foil and rub for 2, then uncover for an hour all @ 110c. Perfect everytime :)

Thanks Cocko!
all my mates spoiled me and the gift vouchers for Dan Murphys and Country Brewer should keep me happy for quite a while!

Today I am smoking some bacon and some pastrami...First go at both

Bacon as per Charcuterie book

IMG_3200.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG
after 7 days in brine and 1 day forming pellicle
IMG_3358.JPG

Pastrami was cured in brine by home butcher for 6 days. I then put in new brine for another 3 days.
all meat was then dried and rested in fridge to form pellicle.

Pastrami has been coated in crushed pepper corns, coriander seed and some dried chili.
IMG_3359.JPG
IMG_3357.JPG

Smells great, hope the smoking goes to plan!
Will attach pics at the end of the smoking unless it all goes to crap

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 40
Good luck, Chris. Looks amazing, man.

I'm doing a roast chook in the weber today, but the missus has requested no smoke. :(

jyo said:
Good luck, Chris. Looks amazing, man.

I'm doing a roast chook in the weber today, but the missus has requested no smoke. :(
make it a beer can chicken then

jyo said:
Not gonna happen, mate. I'm under strict orders to not eff around with it.
buy a 2nd chook and do as u pls. Everyone is happy. Ibe had to do that before

Took 3 1/2 hours for the bacon to be ready.
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG

I ate some of the outside trimmings of the bacon, it was a bit saltier than I was expecting however it was the outside of the bacon. The bacon was very tasty, nice and smokey with a "hamy" flavor and a little chewy but way better than bought stuff

Took 9 hours for the pastrami to hit temp
IMG_3417.JPG
IMG_3415.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG
Will complete the cooking of the pastrami and have for tea tomorrow..Will update with details.

Cheers
Chris

I finished the pastrami cooking with a 2.5 hours in the oven at 140c in casserole with an inch of water.
Meat was very tender and moist. The crust was quite spicy with the chili and pepper adding a bit of heat.
The meat itself was very very salty. The saltiness lessened as I cut closer to the center.
Will do it again but may shorten cure time or lightly poach prior to coating with crushed spices to try and reduce the salt.
I am as dry as a crisp now after all the salt, will have to have a Monday night beer now.
The grain of the meat looked a little coarse compared to bought pastrami so maybe corned topside was not quite the right cut.
Will try again however the procedure needs a little tinkering.

IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3448.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG

Cheers
Chris

Huge leg of Lamb. The rub was salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, lemon juice, rosemary and olive oil. About an hour of hickory with some rosemary twigs.

It was bloody good, but for my tastes I prefer smoked pork.
Cooked a cake in the weber after too, turned out awesome!

1001477_10201514370324933_1439610928_n.jpg

pulled pork today. was bloody loverly.

jyo said:
Cooked a cake in the weber after too, turned out awesome!
Umm, you either smoke it, or bake it into a cake, but no-one smokes their cake.

Bizier said:
Umm, you either smoke it, or bake it into a cake, but no-one smokes their cake.
Haha! Told the adult-child-daughter that I had smoked the cake and the look on her face was priceless!

Mmm hickory butter cake :blink:

Latest posts

Back