Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some ribs and pulled pork AFL grand final day
image.jpg
Smoked for 2 hours using redgum.
image.jpg
A few hours in and looking the goods.
image.jpg
Pull pork done!
image.jpg
Ribs done!image.jpg

Soaked in couple litres of water
Cup of brown sugar
Cup of sea salt
Garlic clove
1 birdseye chilli
half brown onion
for 24 hrs

Smoked on 5 burner BBQ
Turned all burners on for 10 min
Turned 4 off leaving one still on low
Placed fish in other end of BBQ
Wood chips in foil at other end of BBQ for about 3 hrs
Two lots of chips more added half way
Kept BBQ at about 90-100 degrees
Soaked Apple Cherry and Mesquite wood chips in cider for an hr before

Tastiest trout i have ever had will be doing again

Beef / Venison Jerky recipe

I use Skirt Steak but round will do - you want a nice lean cut with no fat (cut either with or against the grain... I prefer with the grain which makes it a bit stringy and therefore chewy)

A sprinkling of Garlic powder
A sprinkling of Onion powder
Soy Sauce (enough to get all the meat covered in it)
Worcestershire sauce (just a dash - too much turns it too salty)
Tabasco (I use the green Jalapeno one as the missus doesn't like it too hot but if you use the regular Tabasco don't put in too much as it is quite strong and will light you up!)
A splash of either Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey Bourbon (again don't go too hard on the booze as it tends to take over the flavour)

Let it all marinate over night (the longer the better but at least 6-8 hours)

I smoke it over Australian Bloodwood (I think) which puts out a really nice smoke
Any Australian Hardwood would do the trick though

Cook it for about 2 hours at a really low temperature (about 60 degrees C and watch it if you can as it dries out quite quickly)

Hickory, Mesquite and the other imported woods work also

I already posted this to another forum I frequent but thought you guys here might also like it.

Start with a slab of beef shortribs - these were about $12/kg:

pv4UnOEh.jpg

Coat with what is called a "Dalmatian Rub" 90% roughly cracked black pepper and 10% salt, you really want a good coating.

c91Z0IZh.jpg

Start preparing your coals for the BBQ. Protip, the best way to get the whole lot lit quickly without using an accellarant is by firing a leafblower at the coals till they're all ashed over.

jtahd5oh.jpg

The dog needs a bit of a lie down after headbutting the post in the previous picture.

anwviZwh.jpg

Insert slab'o'meat.

anFb2Y5h.jpg

All hail the UDS.

5DvBsOch.jpg

And because man cannot live on beef alone... the beverages for the afternoon.

V0KUPkah.jpg

And because man cannot live on beef and beer alone we added pork ribs and chicken wings.

eOaTX4qh.jpg

Stupidly I didn't take a picture of the end product on the night. But the next morning we made some damn good breakfast burgers. Brioche buns, home made Big Mac sauce, shredded short rib, melted emmenthal cheese, pickles, red onion, avocado and hot sauce. Basically a damn good McRib.

qlXtK7Ph.jpg

Money shot.

IhPClEoh.jpg

So guys I have just joined the world of smoking and bought myself a Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker. I got it from bunnings and apparently they are not sold in many stores and have very little stock so grab one while you can! $499 with just about everything you need, it's size is somewhere between the Kamado Joe Large and Extra Large. It's got mostly high reviews on Amazon and other places around the world and a huge following in the US. I seasoned it last night and smoked a chook, no photos unfortunately but I am just getting started!

Linky!

Note that it comes with the tarp cover and ceramic heat diffuser (aka pizza stone) so if one were to compare it against a Kamado Joe it's about $600-$700 cheaper! Yes we pay Australia tax but it's still mega cheap I think...

I had already built myself a temperature controlled terracotta pot smoker but it got a split on use number 1 and didn't get used because I never sealed it well enough, perhaps I could compare the two?

Now to get some good pulled pork recipes!

Joined the smoking world last weekend.
Got myself a primo oval xl and loving it. Got up at 5 this morning and put a hunk of pork shoulder in for pulled pork, man is it smelling good, can't wait to try it.

seamad said:
Got myself a primo oval xl and loving it. Got up at 5 this morning and put a hunk of pork shoulder in for pulled pork, man is it smelling good, can't wait to try it.

Jumping in the deep end i see - the only way to swim.

Not a cheap bit of kit that.

That bit of kit and that post really put me in my place...

I got the el cheapo Aldi Hark ripoff, done a dang good job. Never smoked sausages, fish or chicken, mostly always large slabs of meat. I'll have to give the smaller stuff a go.

Low and slow is the best trick.

I use this sauce 97% of the time when smoking.

Mahogany Sauce:
3 strips bacon, diced
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup grape or raspberry jam
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of your favourite whiskey

Sauté bacon and onion until onion is tender then add garlic and sauté for another minute.
Drain bacon drippings from skillet.
Add jam, tomato sauce, vinegar and whiskey.
Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Makes 2-1/2 cups.

BlackRat said:
Jumping in the deep end i see - the only way to swim.

Not a cheap bit of kit that.
Far from cheap, although great quality and 20 year replacement warranty on the ceramics. It's replacing my old weber kettle, the kamado should make much easier low and slows.My missus is glad I don't have too many more hobbies :D

Edak said:
That bit of kit and that post really put me in my place...
Sorry mate. I read your post and thought I'm going to sound like a smartarse here. Probably the same as brewing gear, looks don't make a difference on the resultant product.
The pork last night was great, 13 hour cook and still moist.

Can't remember if Ive posted up my piece of UDS goodness. A few 44 gallon drum, a bit of steel rod and a few slabs of wood and you can make your own for next to nix.
20130326_165032_resized.jpg

20130323_164101_resized.jpg

Obviously ive made a second grill plate since.

I do believe the jolly fat fellow will be bringing me the re-branded Hark next week, after I left numerous hints lying randomly about the house earlier this month. Noob question, where's the best place for woodchips, just the regular bbq selling joints?

If you can get apple, pear, cherry or other fruit tree prunings, you can get great smoking wood for free.

I also use some mesquite and hickory from "a large chain BBQ store" and they have lasted a fair while, but are extortionate for what they are.

I prefer large chunks where possible, but I use a weber.

Cheers. The MiL has an enormous lemon tree in her back yard, are lemon prunings used much for smoking?

Latest posts

Back