Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right lamb. Didn't read that right.
Low and slow so the lower temp and longer you can cook it. But saying that there is a point where the coligen under goes a change it's generally around 190f internal temp. This is the temp you need for pulled pork

It's really juicy so I think there'd be no problem cooking it longer without the risk of drying out. Will have to get up earlier on a Saturday next time to try and get falling off the bone.

I did a pork shoulder over friday night, ~4kg piece, rubbed with a home made south carolina dry rub and rested for only 8 hours, 14 hours in the akorn kamado at around 225F, smoked with hickory chunks (I had no apple :sadface: ) and it turned out lovely!

The way we eat pulled pork is exclusively in sandwiches with full pickles, homemade bbq vinegar (slather) sauce and slaw!

4kg for 4 people, believe me I have leftovers :)

So, I got my Aldi smoker up and running, and have done the initial "seasoning" run.

I have got
- 2 marinated pork ribs,
- 1/2 kilo of marinated chicken drums,
- and a couple of sausages.

I've only got 4 hours to spare until the kids are screaming for dinner, so 3-2-1 method is out of question.

Do I chuck everything in at the start, or should I chuck the pork ribs in for say, 2 hours smoking, then when I wrap them in foil, add the chook and the sausages, and add a couple more wood blocks for the last 2 hours?

Hoping for a quick reply...

I've got a shoulder of pork in my Aldi smoker. Brined it overnight (salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, bay leaves, touch of vinegar, dry rub (see below).
Patted dry, Rubbed with a dry rub made from: paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, chilli salt (that I made from smoked chillis).
It's in the smoker at 110C - initial 40 mins were very smokey.
Also, a friend suggested stock in the water bath, so thats happening too.
I'm planning on smoking for 7 hours all up, but might need to bump the heat up from what I'm reading here. I'm hoping for pulled pork, but sounds like I should have allowed longer.

Another trick I learned was to wrap the chips in double layer of tin foil and put some slits in the top...stops them from burning out too quickly...

fergthebrewer said:
Another trick I learned was to wrap the chips in double layer of tin foil and put some slits in the top...stops them from burning out too quickly...
Good tip, will try next time.

Also I've rarely had a lamb fall off the bone as such, real juicy and tender, but not like when you cook in liquid for hours in a slow cooker. I pull all my meats out at close enough to the 68*c mark! the cooking time and smoker temp will vary depending on spare time and my showing off to friends and family. If it's just me and the sandwich maker I'll cook them shorter and higher temps.

I've got a leg of lamb on right now that went on around 1pm
I bought a tiny little weber style bbq from bunnings for $30 the other week and thought I'd give it a go
I've tried to keep it around 130C all day, but I'm finding any temp under 160C and the coals start to go out
It's been balancing 140-150 but the coals have just gone out so I've transfered the lamb leg to my benchtop convection oven and turned it to 130C
Will post some pics at carving time :)

That sounds like a pain in the arse sp0rk. Is that normal for coals? I've never done that method.

I just make it easy, same smoker temp, same internal meat temp on removal. 110*c and remove at internal temp of 68*c and rest under foil for around 20mins.

Unless it's just me and the missus only and I don't have to show off, then I may up the temp to get it done quicker if it's a rush job. Using the LPG powered aldi Hark cheapo. Figured out googling smoker recipes just made shit real confusing and over complicated.

A couple of dry rubbed pieces of Aldi porterhouse on the weber kettle with a handful of hickory and mesquite directly on the coals.
direct heat on heatbeads/robot turd mix until internal temp reached 60C.

terrible presentation but awesome taste.

DSC_8139.JPG

Here is some of the bacon I made yesterday and ate today...
Salted with 1 kg rock salt , cup of brown sugar , bay leaves and pepper..
Smoked at 120 deg in the Aldi smoker for 4 hours...
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's my pork shoulder - was falling apart, except for the biggest muscle on the shoulder, which was still pretty good, but dryer than the rest of the cut.
I made pulled pork sliders & threw together an orange soda BBQ sauce (which was a bit sweet for mine, but I diluted it with some dead horse and it was great).
First go: a success! I'm off to dream of filling it with meat.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389527661.518580.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1389527686.752626.jpg

shaunous said:
That sounds like a pain in the arse sp0rk. Is that normal for coals? I've never done that method.

I just make it easy, same smoker temp, same internal meat temp on removal. 110*c and remove at internal temp of 68*c and rest under foil for around 20mins.

Unless it's just me and the missus only and I don't have to show off, then I may up the temp to get it done quicker if it's a rush job. Using the LPG powered aldi Hark cheapo. Figured out googling smoker recipes just made shit real confusing and over complicated.
No, my big barrel smoker can get down to around 90C and still keep stable, I guess the bigger area retains the heat better
I usually run it around 110-120C, this is perfect for chicken wings, sausages and ribs imho

Taking my Aldi gas smoker for it's maiden voyage today (seasoned yesterday) with a pork shoulder... pulled pork for dinner tonight :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

For anyone still hunting them, Somerville Aldi had 8 smokers yesterday and they were on special for $100 as well.

How long and what temp did you cook it? Did one yesterday for 6.5 hours and was awesome but needed longer to get to fork pulling stage

doon said:
How long and what temp did you cook it? Did one yesterday for 6.5 hours and was awesome but needed longer to get to fork pulling stage
What temp did you cook at? What internal temp did you remove the meat for resting?

Sit close to 100*c and cook for however long it takes to get to your desired internal temp. Mine being about 66*c and has taken anywhere up to 10hrs for a fairly big one, but with a smaller lamb roast in also that day it took 10hrs.

Mine sat around 120 pulled it out internal temp of 68. Was watching some videos of people cooking for up to 10 hours then resting for two

Latest posts

Back