Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barls said:
I get about 3 days worth of smoking out of it ie 72 hours
Out of a 9kg bottle? I get alot more than that. But i smoke at pretty much the lowest setting which is about 110*c.

Edak said:
Super juicy, I also just gave it a south Carolina dry rub Alton brown style (paying with mustard and thickly sprinkle dry rub). Mind you we always have a BBQ vinegar sauce handy to lube it up more.
attachicon.gif
uploadfromtaptalk1390420687965.jpg
Damn that looks tha goods.

earle said:
For those that missed the aldi smokers keep an eye out at masters. They should soon have charcoal smokers along the lines of a weber Smokey mountain without legs for around $80. Packs inside itself so looks quite compact if you want to take it camping.
I believe the cheaper ones have very thin steel, so don't keep the heat in very well

I got an email from oztix yesterday with a link for the Blues & BBQ festival in Port Macquarie
They're holding the 2014 BBQ championships over the weekend, sounds like a good thing to check out for fellow bbq fans
http://www.bluesandbbq.com.au/
The site says something about microbrews being sold as well (I'm guessing Black Duck and Little Brewing Co)

This fukin pork shoulder will not get to 90*c for pulling! I'm staying just under 250f which all the smoking kings say to stay under, best on getting is mid 170*f inside, 90*c being 195*f.

Any tips pulled ports guys? or take it out. Keeping in mind me and the guests are not hungry yet and another hour or more wont matter.

shaunous said:
Just checked and it's 82*c, that'll do me.
If it has a bone, just give it a wiggle to see how easy it moves, otherwise get a fork and twist it in the meat - if it turns fairly easily you are done.

Just rubbed 3 kilos of pork (yeah, I know, stop bragging) ribs in preparation for a big smoke-up tomorrow.

Got a couple of chicken breasts I'll brine for an hour, as well as some snags for the kids.

Smoke on!!!

12:00. Triple J hottest 100 just played some Karnivool, and I'm just primed the smoker.

yrLlybQ.jpg

Roll on Australia Day.

Had around 10 people here on Saturday to consume 5.5kg of pulled pork. 2 of them have now already bought smokers since. Was told it was the best pork they have all ever had, so I'm stoked...

Hey ya'll, what are we all using for the smoke, chips, chunks or pellets? And why?

I've only ever used chips, and most of the time only one cup per Cook, although last pulled pork I used 3cups for a 13hr cook, adding the chips evenly over the first 2hrs of cooking.

Apparently pellets are better, only needing 1/3 of them compared to chunks and chips.

I have the ALDI HARK gas smoker. Chips by weight are cheaper, but apparently need more of em like I said.

Thoughts & experience???

Bought a 2.6kg bag of Mesquite chunks from BBQ Galore. Has seen me through 4 sessions so far, probably got 2 or 3 more left in it. I think I payed around $25 for it.

Probably not the cheapest way, but better than chips, as the chunks smoke for longer. I use a combination of some dry chunks, some soaked for an hour, and some soaked and then wrapped in foil. I figure the different times using these 3 techniques would provide active smoke for a longer elapsed duration. Have not found any need to top up the wood chamber so far.

But, planning on lopping off a couple of branches of the neighbours nectarine tree that are poking over our fence. Will chop em up and use them next year.

Did an eye fillet a couple of days ago. Just about gone. My one year old daughter loves it so soft yet tasty..
I use chips, chunks and pellets. Just depends on what wood I want to use for what meat.
Actually just finished one of the tragger bags. Might see what I can get my hands on for the next one.

Have only ever used chips so far, and always from Bunnings. They actually have a bit of a range there nowadays, bags of hickory and then mixed boxes, hickory and mesquite for beef and lamb, apple, cherry and mesquite for poultry and pork, mesquite and alder for seafood. $10 for 600g, probably not the cheapest but good enough to get into the game and experiment.

Most of the times it's quite easy to separate the individual wood types if you look them up on google images, so you can try individual types, 100% cherry for example, to get a feel for the different outcomes.

Usually use a combination of soaked and wet, depending on how long I cook. Have only ever smoked in the weber kettle, can't really see why a dedicated smoker would be any better, apart from the fact that you can fit more food in there per session. Is there something I'm missing?

I use either heat beads, robot turds or lump charcoal as fuel, or a combo of either two of them or all three.

EDIT: a quick google tells me that Bunnings actually used to have a much better range including pellets but have since downgraded.

There is no difference florian, but i'd rather have my cheap arse BBQ, which is now 33years old, I know this as it was a wedding present to my mum and dad. I've cooked on it for years and some say mastered its tricky ways. And then smoke with an ALDI/HARK smoker.

If i had been given a webber for a present i'd smoke with it, but i just wont buy a webber. Same goes for the big hooded BBQ's, dont want or need.

The woods for sale on the net are cheap, untill you factor in the postage, than by weight Bunnings is much cheaper. I'll stick to chips from Bunnings I think.

I always just soaked mine, and instead of a heap at the start I've alway just broke it up in 1/4 or 1/3 serves and spaced that out over the first coupla hours. No need with al-foil and such, you have to monitor it for the first coupla hours anyway as the temperatures like to change, especially if its been in the fridge and you cant afford to let the meat reach room temp before throwing it in the smoker.

Small Fry 2.6kg in 6-7 sessions, that seems like alot of wood per smoke session.

Thanks for the idea's and help men.

Shaunos,
Why can't we afford to let the meat reach room temp before smoking ? Surely a cold piece of meat means it takes longer for the centre to reach the appropriate temps if its cold ?

Latest posts

Back