Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might try lower and longer next time. Was cooked beautifully just not fulling apart

around 100-110 for 7ish hours, up to about 150 for 3 more as I needed to get ready for kids. Hit around 89 degrees internally - about 7 degrees short of my target. Shoulder was around 2.7kg with bone in.

Pulled apart pretty well - fork/hand mostly. I reckon it could have used another hour to be perfect, but I reckon it was pretty darn good. Will start a bit earlier next time so I don't need to push it up towards the end, should be a better result.

This is pretty much the process I followed using the Memphis Dust and East Carolina Hot Sauce to finish: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Pulled pork enchiladas for dinner tonight :icon_drool2:

edit: added more details

How economical are the Aldi gas smokers, guys? Say, you smoke at 120 ish for 6 or so hours, how is the gas bottle looking?

Cheers.

Still felt pretty full to me use it three times and was a full bottle when I started using the smoker. The burner is pretty small

For those that missed the aldi smokers keep an eye out at masters. They should soon have charcoal smokers along the lines of a weber Smokey mountain without legs for around $80. Packs inside itself so looks quite compact if you want to take it camping.

Use fukall gas mate, I smoke at 110*c and the knob is turned as minimal flame as it can be, well 1mm up from right down. Smoked a heap of roasts and still feels full.

brendo said:
around 100-110 for 7ish hours, up to about 150 for 3 more as I needed to get ready for kids. Hit around 89 degrees internally - about 7 degrees short of my target. Shoulder was around 2.7kg with bone in.

Pulled apart pretty well - fork/hand mostly. I reckon it could have used another hour to be perfect, but I reckon it was pretty darn good. Will start a bit earlier next time so I don't need to push it up towards the end, should be a better result.

This is pretty much the process I followed using the Memphis Dust and East Carolina Hot Sauce to finish: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Pulled pork enchiladas for dinner tonight :icon_drool2:

edit: added more details
89*c is a shitload higher than I have ever removed mine from the smoker. Still awesome?

Yeah... Very moist still....the site I linked to aims for 90-95 degrees, means all the connective tissue and collagen has completely melted and makes the pulling super easy. The vinegar based BBQ sauce also helps to remoisten the meat once pulled, but it was pretty juicy as it was so was really more about adding that flavour in than anything else.

Made pastrami out of a corned beef, smoked for about 6 hours.
Came out really well.

pastrami 1.JPG

pastrami2.JPG

I have done only 4 pork shoulders now all about 3 to 4kg, always cook at 110c until 90.5 to 91 inside. Always perfect. You know its ready when the bone almost falls out without touching it. have taken up to 14 hours to cook. Rested for a few hours wrapped tightly in foil and then a few towels then in the esky.

I'll give a pork shoulder a run this weekend and cook until 90*c, do you inject or baste if cooking till that internal temp or does it stay real juicy still?

jyo said:
How economical are the Aldi gas smokers, guys? Say, you smoke at 120 ish for 6 or so hours, how is the gas bottle looking?

Cheers.
Not very economical if you have to drive to the nearest Aldi

Depend where your nearest one is I can walk to mine.

jyo said:

Cheers.

Aren't there people replacing the burner and making a 'bead' / coal burner out of it?

Harder to control temps tho.... and isn;t that what we are chasing here!

jyo, any chance you got that hat I sent you? - it had a yoyo in it.

I get about 3 days worth of smoking out of it ie 72 hours

Bizier said:
Not very economical if you have to drive to the nearest Aldi
Shhh. Just on the lookout that's all. :) There are a few similar ones on ebay at the moment.

Cocko said:
jyo, any chance you got that hat I sent you? - it had a yoyo in it.
No hat yet. But is it a coke yoyo?

shaunous said:
I'll give a pork shoulder a run this weekend and cook until 90*c, do you inject or baste if cooking till that internal temp or does it stay real juicy still?
Super juicy, I also just gave it a south Carolina dry rub Alton brown style (paying with mustard and thickly sprinkle dry rub). Mind you we always have a BBQ vinegar sauce handy to lube it up more.
uploadfromtaptalk1390420687965.jpg

Latest posts

Back